Sign in to follow this  
EastYorkStang

Belt tightening

I'd respectfully suggest that your tightening method is just fine...maybe too fine (cracking the alternator housing).

It's possible that your old (loose) belt "polished" your pulleys and the new belt is still slipping due to that lack of friction. You can take off the new belt and scuff up the pulleys with a scotch pad or sandpaper to test this theory.

The squealing may not be due to a loose belt at all and could be the bearings in the various pulleys. I'd start with simple and go from there.

Good luck!

Tom

On old V-belts I would often pull the alternator tight by hand to get the correct amount of belt tension. You can use a pry bar like you did. But if you cracked the housing, you either used way too much force or the housing was already damaged.

I used a small C clamp to grab both the tab on the alternator housing and the support arm that connects to the block. It was a bit tricky to keep it on but was very easy to get the tension. I was able to stop squealing on my 100 amp alternator.

When this happens the belt sits too deeply in the pulley and contacts the bottom of the groove. You will never stop it slipping if this is your problem.

Foothill is correct, use a lever bar and go steady.

I had squealing problems too and the Belts seemed to sit to low in the Pulley Grooves. Took them to a NAPA Auto Parts Store and had them find me some Belts of the same length that were just a little bit wider. Squealing problem solved.