RPM

The Bitch is Back!

I've got a gal friend in Fresno who's phone was acting up today. Solar flare?

I was just on VMF,  they've had some issues today also. GypsyR posted that many forums changed servers en-masse, causing havoc. I not know if we were a part of it.

It's the Russians.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:30 PM, Vicfreg said:

RPM..what kind of trans....  C6 or C4?   

FMX.

I am using a TCI converter.   I know this is probably obvious, but make sure you don't have a 50oz imbalance harmonic balancer and a 28 oz imbalance flex plate...or vice versa.   

It's a 28oz 164t Scat sfi flexplate. The flexplate and front dampner were used when the rotating assembly was balanced.

Also, I am a believer in the "2 clunk" torque converter install.  So when you put the converter on the transmission, I spin it and push it towards the transmission until I hear 2 "clunks"....meaning it is fully inserted.   I have destroyed at least one transmission in my younger days by thinking that the converter was fully inserted, and it wasn't.   

Yes, that is how mine was installed. I don't think I'd have made my trip to Florida and back without the converter fully installed.

The last thing is that some of the flexplates look very similar, but have slight variations in the depth.  This is the case with an AOD and a C6 flexplate.  They are not interchangeable.   

I do still have my OEM flexplate, which I'll measure for clearances.

Good luck!

Thaaanks!

I've received all the parts to get the motor back together. Just need to measure the bearing clearances, and bolt it back together. The main and rod journals were at the minimum, so with marks on them they needed to take them .010 under. I'm still waiting on the converter. 

During the time the forum was down the last few days, much has been revealed. I found some shiny metallic pieces in the fluid from the converter, so I tore down the fmx. Low and behold it was cleaner than a Safeway chicken. No wear to the fiber discs or bushings. So I figured the metallic glitter was trash from the unknown history torque converter, and decided to clean up the trans and use it with a new TC. 

After I started cleaning and reassembling the trans, I realized I had not opened up the pump. Yikes! All that wear makes the pump trash bound. A used pump is $100, rebuilt is $250. For a boat anchor FMX?  

1047360813_fmxpump.thumb.jpg.238f9de910415552a08871cca1949f64.jpg

My brother's neighbor friend is an auto trans guru who looked at my pics for the root cause of the thrust issue. He replied back:

"If you enlarge this pic and look carefully,  you can see where the depth of the converter hub wear mark is all the way down to the machined flat in the pump gear. I think this is where the problem is. You need at least 1/16 to 1/8" clearance here."

That certainly makes sense to me. I enlarged the pic for all y'all. Since it's a clearance issue, I've got but one person to blame. Looks like it's time to fire my mechanic. :)

Screenshot_20180710-155115.thumb.png.ac8edd453596d2629fd085e1b4c33f6a.png

I've got an appointment to look at an AOD tomorrow in Strathmore, an hour plus up the road.

Ta ta for now.

So I picked up the AOD, didn't need the 5.0, but for the price it'll get used in a Mustang somewhere. The AOD is pretty clean, fluid looks and smells good, not like a fresh flush. Haven't removed the torque converter, but it looks new. I had to haggle for quite a while, so I mostly believe he has some recent repair money in them. I'll drain the oil, add a fluid temp gauge sender and drain plug to the pan, get a new TC with 2,100 stall to match my cam, and install it if I don't come across any issues.

There are several upgrades which toughen up the AOD: 4340 input shaft,  AODE reverse drum and 2" band, AN "A" overdrive servo, and couple extra discs in the forward drum. Lots of work there, which I will probably save for a winter project. I'll just have to take it easy till then.

1208816772_93aod.thumb.jpg.c782e34c697cf8e24a71ff2e261594eb.jpg1079638153_torqueconverter.thumb.jpg.728b42095a736b64a4e114157008840d.jpg

Installed a new "A" OD servo, valve body and torque converter on the AOD. Made a tool to give some leverage to depress the servo.

20180804_164721.thumb.jpg.caaf8aa1cc11623b76adc4cbccfd2260.jpg

After clearancing some useless tabs on the case for clearance Clarence, and bending the left side headers outwards, I stuck the AOD on tonight. 

20180807_211954.thumb.jpg.339328fc4fe3c4f416c53e844adb779a.jpg

Anybody see something missing? Where's Waldo? I mean where's the separator plate? Hot damn! One more time... tomorrow. 

Hmm...I do believe I found the culprit in my thrust damage issue. Well, I'm actually the culprit, but I found the reason I had thrust damage to the crank, bearings and tranny pump. The new in 1999, aftermarket, SFI rated, better than Ford flexplate, that I installed circa 2001, stands off the rear block mating area .175" more than the oem Ford unit. I talked about this to the yahoo who built the motor, and he don't remember nuttin. Btw, I am that yahoo. Educaton is not free. Back to the bank to get more money. 

Oh boy did I. Doing the one piece seat riser probably had more work to other parts taking up the same space than any  other mod I did on the car. In the pic, just above the screw hole, the lower edge of the console is relieved up to where the carpet has a seam. The interior of the console needed much work to the plastic and also the metal mounting supports.

This mod also reduces the space between the tunnel and the inner seat edge.  Since I moved the seat riser back 3/4", and used Audi seats, I spent hours getting the seat belt bolt and seat frame to get along. 

That said, I really think the one piece seat riser and conv rockers are a must do for any early Mustang doing spirited driving, and would do it again. 

Ya, if you look back on page 25 here, there are several pics. Oh wait, they were all deleted. Sorry, just kidding, sort of. Still a sore subject.

No Terry, I didn't document that project. But I had to clearance the seat belt holders, and the U shaped metal support, and maybe another item. Since I added several switches in the console glove box, and gauges in the forward ash tray, my mind is lost as far as what all I've done to it.  

This is not much of a build thread anymore, more of a potpourri of bs me thinks. But that's just fine with me. 

Got the Ford 3.70 gears hooked up to the traction loc and N case. Next up is new exhaust via ball sockets at the header collector, and Walker Quiet Flow muffs. 

20181016_192143.thumb.jpg.15a2a0c0e3ad6514370f571d6cb084ee.jpg