Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Which brakes to go with????

I don't know how you can find a front and rear kit for $1500 from SSBC. I know Willwood is a little less expensive. Look at the offsets of the kits too. I know the Willwood kit adds 3/4" offset out on each side, so if you have wide tires it probably won't work. There is a company that puts together a Willwood 0 offset kit but the whole thing is about $1,100 just for the front.

Based on your budget you may be better off going with the Cobra disc brake brackets from Mustang Steve and installing late model disc brakes, but you have to have 17" rims for that to work.

I don't know how you can find a front and rear kit for $1500 from SSBC. I know Willwood is a little less expensive. Look at the offsets of the kits too. I know the Willwood kit adds 3/4" offset out on each side, so if you have wide tires it probably won't work. There is a company that puts together a Willwood 0 offset kit but the whole thing is about $1,100 just for the front.

Based on your budget you may be better off going with the Cobra disc brake brackets from Mustang Steve and installing late model disc brakes, but you have to have 17" rims for that to work.

Speedway motors has rear disc kits starting at $300. I'd recommend the MustangSteve route on the fronts. Put a 13 Cobra disc next to the oem Mustang or any other. That should make up your mind.

Speedway motors has rear disc kits starting at $300. I'd recommend the MustangSteve route on the fronts. Put a 13 Cobra disc next to the oem Mustang or any other. That should make up your mind.

I already found the kit from SSBC and Wilwood for the SSBC kit is around $1200.00 and the Wilwood kit is around $1500.00 for the setup I'm looking for the Wilwood kit for the back says it has an offset of 2.5" for the rear and no offset for the front? 2.5" seems like allot doesn't it?

I already found the kit from SSBC and Wilwood for the SSBC kit is around $1200.00 and the Wilwood kit is around $1500.00 for the setup I'm looking for the Wilwood kit for the back says it has an offset of 2.5" for the rear and no offset for the front? 2.5" seems like allot doesn't it?

Yes the 2.5" offset is 3/4" on each side and to me that is a lot. I have 8" wide tires and can't use anything with an offset. The Mustang Steve Cobra brake conversion is a 0 offset conversion.

A buddy of mine had Willwood brakes on his Cobra replica and he said he hated them with a passion.

Vinage Venom sells the entire four wheel disc brake conversion using the same brackets that you can get from Mustang Steve for $599 or $699 if you add the hoses and banjos. This exact kit was featured in an issue of Mustang Monthly as well and they gave it great reviews.

http://www.vintagevenom.com/front-disc-mustang-brake-conversion-kit.htm

Here's the article from Mustang Monthly about the kit:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0901_how_to_install_cobra_brakes_on_a_vintage_mustang/index.html

Yes the 2.5" offset is 3/4" on each side and to me that is a lot. I have 8" wide tires and can't use anything with an offset. The Mustang Steve Cobra brake conversion is a 0 offset conversion.

A buddy of mine had Willwood brakes on his Cobra replica and he said he hated them with a passion.

Vinage Venom sells the entire four wheel disc brake conversion using the same brackets that you can get from Mustang Steve for $599 or $699 if you add the hoses and banjos. This exact kit was featured in an issue of Mustang Monthly as well and they gave it great reviews.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0901_how_to_install_cobra_brakes_on_a_vintage_mustang/index.html

So wait that $625.00 for just the brackets and spacers I would still have to buy the rotors and calipers? Which would be another $600.00 so whats the difference between that setup or a complete setup from SSBC?

So wait that $625.00 for just the brackets and spacers I would still have to buy the rotors and calipers? Which would be another $600.00 so whats the difference between that setup or a complete setup from SSBC?

I have the Mustang Steve 13" Cobra kit too but I have also heard a lot of good things about his new Mustang 12.5" kit as well, same application and parts availability but you can do 16" wheels with it instead.

I have the Mustang Steve 13" Cobra kit too but I have also heard a lot of good things about his new Mustang 12.5" kit as well, same application and parts availability but you can do 16" wheels with it instead.

Sure, but I doubt you would be able to match it. I got in on the group buy we had hear about 5 years ago, that's when Steve had just started it and was offering a complete needs nothing cobra package and not just the brackets. I paid just under $700 as I recall and that was for the upgraded drilled/slotted rotors and a new master cylinder too.

Sure, but I doubt you would be able to match it. I got in on the group buy we had hear about 5 years ago, that's when Steve had just started it and was offering a complete needs nothing cobra package and not just the brackets. I paid just under $700 as I recall and that was for the upgraded drilled/slotted rotors and a new master cylinder too.

Hmmmm that give me an idea seeing as how some of us here just got a Baumanns group buy and saved around $150.00 to start a group buy for some disc brake conversion kits?

Hmmmm that give me an idea seeing as how some of us here just got a Baumanns group buy and saved around $150.00 to start a group buy for some disc brake conversion kits?

The difference? Can you go to your local parts store and get parts for a SSBC or Wilwood kit? What about if you are out on the road and need some parts, I doubt you will be able to find the parts easily. If you use the Cobra setup (Ford) I would bet you will have no problem getting the parts you need easily the day you need them.

The difference? Can you go to your local parts store and get parts for a SSBC or Wilwood kit? What about if you are out on the road and need some parts, I doubt you will be able to find the parts easily. If you use the Cobra setup (Ford) I would bet you will have no problem getting the parts you need easily the day you need them.