Sign in to follow this  
elcristobal

Header Clearence

So i figured out my issue with the engine not starting. Now the problem is my clutch. I have a T5 tranny and i just put a pair of hooker headers in there is a bracket of some sort where my clutch cable runs through and the headers are in the way of this. This bracket seems to be attached to the bell housing. Any ideas to maybe run the cable through somewhere else or something like that.

So i figured out my issue with the engine not starting. Now the problem is my clutch. I have a T5 tranny and i just put a pair of hooker headers in there is a bracket of some sort where my clutch cable runs through and the headers are in the way of this. This bracket seems to be attached to the bell housing. Any ideas to maybe run the cable through somewhere else or something like that.

So what was the resolution to your "car not starting" problem? It's quite helpful to know so your experience can be used for future advice.

Regarding your header/clutch question, clutch linkage (cable) fit problems are quite common with headers. This is one reason why I opted for stock manifolds for my 351W. Headers made everything a PITA and the performance penalty is pretty negligible for my setup.

Anywho, you're going to have to re-route your clutch cable. I'm sure some of the guys here have clutch cable experiences with headers, but I got sick of the long tubes getting in the way of every little thing. The simple joys of removing spark plugs easily...

Good luck.

So what was the resolution to your "car not starting" problem? It's quite helpful to know so your experience can be used for future advice.

Regarding your header/clutch question, clutch linkage (cable) fit problems are quite common with headers. This is one reason why I opted for stock manifolds for my 351W. Headers made everything a PITA and the performance penalty is pretty negligible for my setup.

Anywho, you're going to have to re-route your clutch cable. I'm sure some of the guys here have clutch cable experiences with headers, but I got sick of the long tubes getting in the way of every little thing. The simple joys of removing spark plugs easily...

Good luck.

You may have to change your combination to be compatible. You could switch to shorty style headers, or switch to a hydraulic clutch (my solution) or step up to semi-custom headers from some place like Kooks or FPA.

They're generally built to order using patterns so they're not truly custom headers, but they're not shelf stock either. They'll ask you what block, heads, trans and clutch you're using and build it up for that combination. However, they may not have a pattern for every possible combination with so much available in the aftermarket today. With headers especially, you get what you pay for.

You may have to change your combination to be compatible. You could switch to shorty style headers, or switch to a hydraulic clutch (my solution) or step up to semi-custom headers from some place like Kooks or FPA.

They're generally built to order using patterns so they're not truly custom headers, but they're not shelf stock either. They'll ask you what block, heads, trans and clutch you're using and build it up for that combination. However, they may not have a pattern for every possible combination with so much available in the aftermarket today. With headers especially, you get what you pay for.

for my starting problem, all it was was the position where i started the cables on the distributor

and yea for the clutch cable i think i will try to re-rout it cus i have some slack on it so im sure i should be able to route it throught somewhere else and avoid getting the cable burned by the headers

if that fails me then ill look into a hydraulic set up. any suggestions

thanks for the feedback

for my starting problem, all it was was the position where i started the cables on the distributor

and yea for the clutch cable i think i will try to re-rout it cus i have some slack on it so im sure i should be able to route it throught somewhere else and avoid getting the cable burned by the headers

if that fails me then ill look into a hydraulic set up. any suggestions

thanks for the feedback