Sign in to follow this  
Burn

new speaker placement help

Go for the infinity kappa line. I JUST ordered a set of 6x8 for my truck and 5 1/4 for my stang. Didnt go with components though for ease of mounting. Both od these speakers come with built in crossovers though. I was goin to go with Bostons which are great but I read a FEW reviews where the kappas blew them out of the water and they werent too expensive.

A good compromise between an original antenna and a hidden or deleted one is the electronic antenna. It works pretty well even when it's down for local stations but you have the extra reach when you need it and it's a pretty clean look when down compared to original.

Most of the popular vendors all carry the same one which looks cheap but runs for around $70. That's actually inline with the new exact correct repro ones but expensiver compared to the standard replacement one that sells for less than $20. I've been considering getting this one from Johns Mustang: http://johnsmustang.com/Parts/details-10514.html

Now that you have more suggestions than you expected for speakers, I have another suggestion for the radio. If you want to keep the original look and not cut up the dash for your radio, you can buy a factory AM/FM from the 70's that has been modified to accept external cd or mp3 players. It is modified so it has a mini type headphone plug on it that you plug into either a mp3 player or a portable CD player. That way you can use the volume, balance, and tone controls of your original radio. The radio outputs can still go to external amplifiers before going to the speakers.

I did this on my AM/FM radio, and I have sold some on ebay with the modification done. I have seen others on ebay doing it also. If the Kenwood head unit you mentioned plays mp3 directly, then it makes sense to use it. If you need to plug an external mp3 player into it, though, then consider this option.

All Great ideas!

I've narrowed down a couple of things...I think!

1. I'm going with the rear package tray with the built-in 6x9 pods 2. Sony has a good deal on a Bluetooth (BT) head unit. Over the weekend I was playing around with my friends Sony BT radio and I was streaming my BlackBerry "wirelessly" via Bluetooth Pandoa, MP3's and internet radio stations. Awesome!!! 3. Polk Audio db series door speakers.

I'm still trying to decide on a Amplifier and a Subwoofer.

I like the electric antenna idea and had consider that as an option. Does anyone have the correct location for mounting it on the drivers side rear quarter like on the '69-70 Shelbys?

Edited by Burn

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the stereo system a few weeks ago. I ended up going with 4x6 infinity Reference in the front doors; two 6x9 Infinity Ref. for the rear package tray; Kenwood 4 channel 750WATT amp (connected to front and rear speakers) and a Infinity Basslink 10" powered subwoofer for the trunk. Man, this thing "ROCKS". I've never had a system with an amp or subwoofer before. The single 10" has more Bass than I'll ever need. The entire system is just crazy LOUD!

The package tray with speaker pods should arrive next week at which time I'll put the finishing touches on the install. I'll post pix's of the install in "My Progress Thread".

Thanks guys for helping me make an educated decision on my stereo. I'm very happy with it.

Burn Out!

I put 5 1/4" component Infinity Kappas in my front kick panels and 6x9 infinity kappas in the rear package tray with angled speaker pods. I am very please with how the Kappas perform and look they are very nice with nice mids and highs for bass.