Sign in to follow this  
RogerC

Concours vs Concourse

I've been seeing concourse being confused with concours a lot lately and while both words have similar meanings Concours pertains to a gathering of fine automobiles and Concourse refers to a gathering place. I recently saw an ebay store refer to its parts as "concourse correct". Their parts are correct for a certain area of an airport? It just bothers me when its used in the wrong context cause it dumbs down the hobby. Its beginning to have the same effect as saying "NOS" in reference to nitros-oxide.

Definitions of concours on the Web:

Definitions of concourse on the Web:

Sorry about the rant, I'll go put my head back in the sand. Back to your regular programing.

I've been seeing concourse being confused with concours a lot lately and while both words have similar meanings Concours pertains to a gathering of fine automobiles and Concourse refers to a gathering place. I recently saw an ebay store refer to its parts as "concourse correct". Their parts are correct for a certain area of an airport? It just bothers me when its used in the wrong context cause it dumbs down the hobby. Its beginning to have the same effect as saying "NOS" in reference to nitros-oxide.

Definitions of concours on the Web:

Definitions of concourse on the Web:

Sorry about the rant, I'll go put my head back in the sand. Back to your regular programing.

Yeah, me too, way more on my mind these days. I don't think it dumbs down the hobby either, most car guys tend to be simple folk rather than nit picky. I know many people that may put an e on the end but have forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. The context of the sentence should imply the actual word meant and would only be an issue to someone looking to be a stickler rather than enjoy the topic at hand.

Look how many folks (folks that actually own a 69/70 no less) incorrectly refer to our cars as a fastback and a coupe when they aren't. It hasn't dumbed things down though, we all know they mean the sportsroof or the hardtop and it's not like that is as forgivable as an extra vowel which may have been added by mistake.

Yeah, me too, way more on my mind these days. I don't think it dumbs down the hobby either, most car guys tend to be simple folk rather than nit picky. I know many people that may put an e on the end but have forgotten more about cars than I will ever know. The context of the sentence should imply the actual word meant and would only be an issue to someone looking to be a stickler rather than enjoy the topic at hand.

Look how many folks (folks that actually own a 69/70 no less) incorrectly refer to our cars as a fastback and a coupe when they aren't. It hasn't dumbed things down though, we all know they mean the sportsroof or the hardtop and it's not like that is as forgivable as an extra vowel which may have been added by mistake.

As Pac stated, some of us here are newbies to the classic car restoration and ownership realm. To be honest, I never realized that there was a difference in the meanings of concours and concourse, nor did I know that there were specifics such as coupe for a hardtop or a fastback for a sportsroof. I think that for some of it could be a regionalized issue, for as up in Canada, you don't hear of the fastback being referred to as a sportsroof very often. I guess its like how people say things differently, like saying; potato, potaato (sic), or I'll just have the rice, Eh....:huh:

Bill

As Pac stated, some of us here are newbies to the classic car restoration and ownership realm. To be honest, I never realized that there was a difference in the meanings of concours and concourse, nor did I know that there were specifics such as coupe for a hardtop or a fastback for a sportsroof. I think that for some of it could be a regionalized issue, for as up in Canada, you don't hear of the fastback being referred to as a sportsroof very often. I guess its like how people say things differently, like saying; potato, potaato (sic), or I'll just have the rice, Eh....:huh:

Bill