Sign in to follow this  
bwilson13087

1969 Mustang Coupe 302 won't start

This is my first post. I just got done fully rebuilding my 69 mustangs 302. It's now completely installed in the car and looks amazing. Only one problem, it won't start :( I have tried everything I can think of. Here's what I've done so far:

Starter successfully turns the engine

Spark plugs fire

Timing is properly set

Electric Holley fuel pump pumps fine (maybe too fine?)

I can see fuel cleanly spraying in carb

Rocker arms have the proper gap

You would think this would all equal a properly operating engine. Only other things I can think of are that maybe the car has bad gas, it hasn't run in almost a year; or maybe the engine is flooded.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Firing order good? And does it act like it wants to start? Too much fuel pressure? 5 to 7 psi on the fuel line should be all you need and if you don't have a regulator you may want to install one. Plus this new gas we use today does have a shorter shelf life than before.

Good luck!

Another easy mistake to make is having the timing out of phase by 180 degrees. Your timing light will show its good, but you are actually fireing at the top of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

Check your plugs, you can tell if it is flooded if they are soaked in gas.

This is my first post. I just got done fully rebuilding my 69 mustangs 302. It's now completely installed in the car and looks amazing. Only one problem, it won't start :( I have tried everything I can think of. Here's what I've done so far:

Starter successfully turns the engine

Spark plugs fire

Timing is properly set

Electric Holley fuel pump pumps fine (maybe too fine?)

I can see fuel cleanly spraying in carb

Rocker arms have the proper gap

You would think this would all equal a properly operating engine. Only other things I can think of are that maybe the car has bad gas, it hasn't run in almost a year; or maybe the engine is flooded.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I had the same exact problem when i first tried to start my engine ... Pulled the fuel line and dropped it in a gas can w/ new gas and fired right up! My gas was sitting idle for a couple of years though.

If you're interested in ruling out bad fuel, disconnect the fuel line to the carb, crank the engine for several seconds to drain out the bowl. Then shoot some starting fluid (don't need a lot) down the primaries and immediately try to start it. You will definitely hear it *wanting* to start as someone else mentioned. If this doesn't work, your fuel is fine and you should start progressing through the other ideas:

* Super-Rich mixture (check the plugs as bigperm said, try starting with WOT)

* Timing off 180

* Good coil, properly wired?

* Points gapped correctly? (This is huge)

How are you verifying that you have good spark? How do you know you have it properly timed if it has never started?

Good luck, you'll whip it.

Tom

spark plugs fire?

How are you testing?

If your using the key on and jumping the starter sol posts method,

You may not be getting power to the coil with the key in start position.

Check the Brown wire at the I connection on the sol, and trace it back to the coil lead.

If your getting spark a shot of starting fluid will show any life in the engine, be it backfire or attempt to run.

Ok here's some more info. I'm glad I have already gotten so many replies. I know the timing isn't completely perfect but I know it's close enough (I'm sure you know I can't completely time it until it's running). I know it's not 180 degrees off because I checked different valve positions as I rotated the engine by hand. I checked spark by removing the spark plug and resting it's edge on a ground while the engine was cranked, and I saw spark at the right times. I'll try the fuel pressure regulator idea. Also the fuel in the fuel filter is kinda yellow which makes me think bad gas. Anymore ideas?

sounds like bad gas or super rich. I am suprised you are not at least getting a pop. If you have dry plugs, and dump a little bit of new clean gas down the carb, you should get a sputter at least.

More news, I traced the smoke to the purple wire coming out of the gauge cluster. According to my wiring diagram, it goes from the coil wire off the ignition switch to the constant voltage unit in the cluster. Over charged battery? Old worn out wires? Any ideas?