Angel

Angel's 69 Restomod Coupe

Well since I'll be doing and re-doing a lot of work to the car, I decided to start a thread. As some of you know, about two months ago my engine took a dump. I decided it was time to just rebuild. Its a 351w that I'll be stroking to a 408. I already bought the TFS heads because they were on sale. My plans for the engine are full roller with a mild cam for good street manners. I'll also be installing Cobra brakes all around. Right now I've got the granada set-up but with the new engine, I think its time to step it up. I already bought the calipers used on ebay. Now I just need the brackets from either mustang steve or ST. I also plan on installing a rack and pinion. Not sure from who yet.

Ive been working on this car for a little over 5 years. Till now the set-up worked great as a daily driver which last year saw over 12,000 miles on the highway alone. The car has been good to me since high school and I think its time to give it some loving. Usually I would do some work to it on my days off and then get it back on the road asap. This time I decided to get another car and stick the stang in the back yard. I've got a lot of little projects to do as well as some big ones. I have to finish covering the trunk in black carpet(3yr old project). I have to re-do the headliner, the right way this time, and re-seal the rear glass. I have to skin and paint my driver side door. I have to repaint the cowl as well as the black moldings around the rear glass. I'll be changing my heater core, again, and I'm also going to try to install some reclining seats.

For the big projects, I obviously have to rebuild the engine. I need to install the four wheel discs. I need to install the rack and pinion. And I need to sand and undercoat the under body, as well as pretty up the engine bay. My goal is to have it done by the end of August in time for the next semester of school. My budget for this is $8,000....which will most likely turn into 9k:whistling:. Although I've set my goal, I wont mind if it takes longer or more money as long as I do it right. I began the tear down 6 weeks ago and I'll be starting the work next week after finals. All comments, criticism, and advice are welcome. This is what Im starting with.

Wow. Nice ride. You have a really good base. Love the color.

Ensure you do your research on the cam. I assume you are going to use a brake booster with the 4 wheel discs. I'm dealing with low vacuum right now. That's why it's so important to not pic a large cam.

Also, you might want to get high torque starter.(You may not need it, but I sure did :-)

If you are going to go with headers now, good! If you plan on installing them later, you may want to consider doing it now while the engine is out. The idea here is to do the hard stuff now rather than trying to change headers while the engine is in the car.

Same thing for the rack and pinion. If you are going to do it, do it now while it's apart.

I'm sure i'll think of other things I ran into.

Wow. Nice ride. You have a really good base. Love the color.

Ensure you do your research on the cam. I assume you are going to use a brake booster with the 4 wheel discs. I'm dealing with low vacuum right now. That's why it's so important to not pic a large cam.

Also, you might want to get high torque starter.(You may not need it, but I sure did :-)

If you are going to go with headers now, good! If you plan on installing them later, you may want to consider doing it now while the engine is out. The idea here is to do the hard stuff now rather than trying to change headers while the engine is in the car.

Same thing for the rack and pinion. If you are going to do it, do it now while it's apart.

I'm sure i'll think of other things I ran into.

Yea, I am thinking along the same lines for my 70 with getting the hard stuff out of the way while the engine is out. I'm trying to save up more money so I can do my rack n pinion once the car gets out of the paint shop. I'll dredge up the rack n pinion discussion in the technical discussion again LOL

Yea, I am thinking along the same lines for my 70 with getting the hard stuff out of the way while the engine is out. I'm trying to save up more money so I can do my rack n pinion once the car gets out of the paint shop. I'll dredge up the rack n pinion discussion in the technical discussion again LOL

Hey thanks guys. Im actually putting this project on hold for a bit. I haven't done anything to it since I posted this thread. Reason being that I bought another car. One of my customers offered me his 2004 mach1 for a ridiculously low price. The mach1 has 37,000 miles and is very clean inside and out. Its also a stick which I wanted. He offered it to me for $6,000. Its worth $14K! I couldn't pass on that offer. The money I had saved for my new engine covered the whole price of the mach1. The reason he sold it to me for so cheap was that he didn't buy the car. His father bought it new in 2004. However, his father passed away about a year and a half ago and left the car to him. Unfortunately, he's been out of a job for several months and needed the cash asap. So after enjoying the car for more than a year, because of his situation, he put the needs of his family first and decided to sell the car. So for now I will continue to work on the 69 but I will be putting the engine build on hold.

Hey thanks guys. Im actually putting this project on hold for a bit. I haven't done anything to it since I posted this thread. Reason being that I bought another car. One of my customers offered me his 2004 mach1 for a ridiculously low price. The mach1 has 37,000 miles and is very clean inside and out. Its also a stick which I wanted. He offered it to me for $6,000. Its worth $14K! I couldn't pass on that offer. The money I had saved for my new engine covered the whole price of the mach1. The reason he sold it to me for so cheap was that he didn't buy the car. His father bought it new in 2004. However, his father passed away about a year and a half ago and left the car to him. Unfortunately, he's been out of a job for several months and needed the cash asap. So after enjoying the car for more than a year, because of his situation, he put the needs of his family first and decided to sell the car. So for now I will continue to work on the 69 but I will be putting the engine build on hold.

So I haven't touched the car in a few months and now I want to start working on it. I want to start with the interior. For insulation, I've decided to use dynamat extreme along with some regular car insulation I bought from pep boys. Since I will be installing a/c in the car, I want to insulate the car as best as I possibly can. So I've been thinking about using egg crate style foam to insulate the car. I would just glue it over the other insulation. I was thinking of sticking it on the roof and behind other panels basically to reduce free air space. Its very light and the foam is free. What do you guys think? Is it worth my time?

How thick is that egg crate style stuff? I've seen folks use the reflective bubble wrap stuff, but not seen anyone using what you are looking at. I'm thinking the uneven surface of the egg crate style wouldn't give you a good base to gt carpet & headliner to look flat.

Its about an inch thick. I think that's how much space there is between the headliner and the roof. I'm sure it will fit by itself, but I am using dynamat and another insulation roll so I will only use it if there is extra space. That's really all its going to do, fill empty space, but it would be nice if it were to deaden sound too. I dont expect much out of it since its not very dense, I can compress it down to 2mm at its thickest point. But I figured, Im throwing this stuff away everyday so why not try it out.

i have seen the egg crate foam fall apart over the years and have a black/gray dust to it. but that was mainly in old speaker cabinets and insulated rooms with exposed egg crate foam for sound deadening etc. so i don't know how it will hold up in the hot roof area of a car. just my 2C.. you may want to hit a audio site up and see what they say about the longevity of it... in heat etc. i think its safe to say its not fire proof..

So I haven't touched the car in a few months and now I want to start working on it. I want to start with the interior. For insulation, I've decided to use dynamat extreme along with some regular car insulation I bought from pep boys. Since I will be installing a/c in the car, I want to insulate the car as best as I possibly can. So I've been thinking about using egg crate style foam to insulate the car. I would just glue it over the other insulation. I was thinking of sticking it on the roof and behind other panels basically to reduce free air space. Its very light and the foam is free. What do you guys think? Is it worth my time?

I found a R&P kit for sale online. I called unisteer and asked if I would still be able to get customer support from them even though I bought it from someone else. They said yes. So I placed the order today.

Edited by Angel

Haha! I just received my f/r cobra brackets from mustang steve. They're heavy! But I guess they have to be. They are cut very well and come with detailed instructions. All nuts and bolts come with it. Only took 4 days to arrive. Too bad I won't be installing them till around june. But hey, I got 10% off on something I was going to buy anyway so thats cool. I also received the dynamat extreme bulk pack I ordered from amazon. Thats 22lbs of deadener that will be going on the car next summer too, in addition to the fatmat and dynamat extreme thats already on there now. I just want this thing to be as comfy on the inside as possible.

HO HO! UPS guy just dropped off the unisteer R&P. I wasn't expecting this until next week. They said it would take 10-14 business days to arrive. I ordered last tuesday and it just arrived now so only took 8 days. Sweet. Came in two big boxes. One box has a slight tear at the edge and when I opened it, I realized a small parts bag had opened. Found everything but I might be missing two nuts, no big deal. Looks real nice. I might decide not to wait till summer because its a shame to just have these parts in boxes around my room lol.

Hehe. Well even if I installed it tomorrow, the car has no engine. Ive heard good stuff about them and since it was on sale, I just bought it. Looks real similar to Randalls rack but costs less and price includes a new pump, same one that Randall sells for an additional $300. I know dude, I wish I could drive it but I'm being patient. I want to get everything done before I install the engine.

I'm totally jealous about the R&P. That is a good price. I think that is one project I'll have to wait on until I've recovered from doing everything else to my car. I say throw it in now...basically because I want to see if it is really as easy as the website says.

Edited by rangerdoc

Yeah that is a concern. I would hate to wait 6-7 months to install it just to find I dont like the fit and I cant do anything about it but work with it. Rest assured guys. Come time to do it, I will document it as best as I can with as many pictures as possible. There are a lot of threads on here about R&P's but I found none that document an installation. Which sucks! lol