Sign in to follow this  
Big Secz

How do I keep my spirits up????

I purchased my 70 Convertible just over a year ago. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. Ever since it has been one that at times I have begun to regret.

Since I've had the car I've had problem after problem. Now in addition to needing a new motor and trans, I got in it tonight thinking I could take it for a nice cruise with the top down only to discover that I didn't have any brakes. I took the cap of the master to find the front bowl was full but the back bowl was completely empty. After looking under the car I saw a puddle near the rear right tire. I've got a leak somewhere.

I know the brake issue is fairly minor and easy to fix. But it seems like it is always something. I haven't even really been able to enjoy the car at all since I've owned it. If it were a real horse I think I would have shot it by now.

My wife now calls the car Christine since it seems posessed by some evil spirit determined to not let me enjoy the car.

Times like this I contemplate selling the car, my only concerns there aside from the fact that I won't break even in it is I'm worried that if I cut my losses with this one and buy a different one I could be getting a whole new set of problems.

I'm at my wits end at this point. Sorry I just needed to vent, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been throught this or felt this way before.

I know EXACTLY how ya feel...Just read my thread in the progress area. At one point I felt like dragging the car out of the garage and blowing the damn thing up. But once it all comes together and things start working all right you'll get a little smile on your face....You'll still be a bit leery but then, after a little longer when it's feeling good on the road, that smile will get bigger. Then, soon you'll look back and think about all the grief ya had and a big grin will flash across your face, as someone asks about your great looking car. Then...and ONLY then will you really appreciate all the work, the grief and the BS ya went through to build the car.......................................Then something else will break....................:surrender::biggrin:.

Gotta love this hobby......

P.S. Im still working on my car....This weekend...brakes (poetic eh ??)..next weekend...who knows !!

Edited by flight96

Eh. You have to know what you're getting into when you get one of these cars. I realized back when I was 15 that I would eventually have to replace almost everything except for the body if I wanted to use it as my daily driver. Now at 22, I'm about 13k+ into it and I'll be investing another 8k by August. But I love it. And since I plan to keep is as my daily driver, I can justify investing about $20,000 in the car since once its done, I wont have the need to buy another car for myself. I'll already have the car of my dreams. To me, its not a car. Its an experience and a lifestyle. One that just happens to get me from point A to point B. Keep in mind that eventually, you will run out of things to fix. At that point, you'll be glad you kept it.

You have to remember you are owning and driving a 40 year old car designed to last maybe 10 years. You will have the same problems with any 40 year old car, or 30 year old, or even 20 year old car. Unless you have a Mustang professionally built with a Dynacorn body and 100% new parts, things like this will happen. Yes it's irritating at times, but part of the fun of having a vintage car is keeping it running.

Hang in there. I haven't driven my 69 since 1986. Had been working on it since I bought it in 83. I started tearing it down the week my oldest was born in 86 cause it needed some major work. The floors were rotted and the front suspension needed rebuilt. Had the floors replaced and the bottom sandblasted. Upon reassembly, noticed what a poor (highly understated) job that was done on the floors. Had to get the car reassembled though cause I was getting out of the military and had to move. It sat in storage for a year or so till I got a house. Then it sat in the garage for several years. I worked on it briefly here & there but had decided I wasn't driving it again till I built it the way I wanted. Between some financial issues and raising 3 kids I was tapped out and in the meantime had a 79 mustang daily driver that satisfied my V8 craving. With the 2 oldest grown now I've been working on it pretty steadily over the past 3 years despite being unemployed most of last year. The desire gets stronger & stronger as I make progress. My situation is a little extreme and had the floor pans been done correctly I probably would have put it back together and driven it till something else came up, like the crappy job the floor pan guy did on the quarter patches that I just discovered are full of bondo due to poor installation. This wasn't my first car, was actually my 9th car, but the love for these cars keeps me going and eventually I'll be driving it again.

I know that with these old cars you have to expect certain things to pop up. It just seems like I've been running into a long string of bad luck with this car.

It helps to know that I'm not alone and people have gone through similar hardships. I just had her towed this morning to a repair shop to take care of the brakes. I haven't had good luck with any of the repair shops I have used in the past. I hope this one works out because I'm running out of places to go to.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I bought my car already restored locally and it runs like a dream. Only minor problems with dash lights and guages not working that my daughters boyfriend has that fixed now. Only other thing I need is the air put back in. At least you know how to fix things. I am not that great at fixing anything. But hang with it you will get everything going right for you soon.

Like similar guys posting on this thread, I have had my car for three years and have never driven it. In fact I have never even driven a 69 stang, or an older classic car for that matter.

I don't think that your issue is the car, but your state mind. When getting into this hobby, you know that the journey is part of the adventure, and the destination is really negligiable, as there really is no destination. What I mean by this, is that there is always something more to do to your ride, always something to repair, or improve, etc. Once you recognize this, you will be more accepting of this hobby and expect the unexpected faults of your ride. I compare it to owning an small airplane, you have to maintain parts of the car, even though they are in working order, not for safety sake, but because of the age of the vehicle and because of its unreliability.

Take your ride to car show once it is repaired, and talk to guys who do not have rides and you will see how fortunate you are. While you are there, speak to other guys who own classics, and ask them who they use for maintenance, etc, that way you may have better luck with a mechanic.

Hang in there, there will be better days.

Bill from Canada

Owning 40 year old cars isn't for everyone. You have to enjoy working on them as well as driving them.

If that doesn't sound like the deal to you, you need to buy a car that is turnkey or focus on other hobbies

There have been some interesting responses. I think a lot of my intentions were misunderstood by starting this.

I am fully aware that there will be mechanical bumps in the road. I’m not that naive to be believe that you can by a 40 year old car and life will be great. Unlike some that I have run into I don’t have a money tree growing in my back yard that I can tap into.

Aside from the mechanical problems that I’ve had and currently have with this car, I’ve had the throttle stick wide open on me going down a back road, almost been t-boned twice by people who ran red lights both times, and this past December a garage collapsed on the car. Its things like this that make you start to second guess whether keeping the car is a good idea.

My intention with this thread was to find out from everyone that has been through tough times with their cars, how they cope and get through those tough times and perhaps share some of your horror stories.

It does sound like you have had your unfair amount of oddities with your ride. If you are a religious man, could you get the car blessed or something....?

A local church actually does blessing of motorcycles once a year. I've been thinking about seeing if I they would bless my car.

when i get bummed or frustrated with something, i simply move on to another task. generally something short term that will yield positive results. then i'll go back to the issue that was frustrating me with hopefully new ideas.

I'm at my wits end at this point. Sorry I just needed to vent, but I'm sure I'm not the only one that has been throught this or felt this way before.

My solution would be-to keep your spirits up-sit the little woman in the passenger seat drop the top, sit in the driveway and open your favorite decanter of bourbon. (Not whiskey, not tequilla-those spirits will leave you in The Down Place.) After a night like this, your group will be able to see the ultimate destination. You, your wife, and your pony have to sort out the pecking order, as it were!

Heck I had some of the same setbacks when I was single younger and used my stang as the daily driver and only car I had purchased because it was a 69 stang from brakes going out, stranded on freeways, gas pedal sticking , shock tower caving in and not to mention PO problems I inherited. I remember the car also stranded my girlfriend and now wife on the pacific coast highway due to electrical problems. And I was very upset at alot of these things but became more determined to fix the problems and plan some maintenance for others that would come up by learning more about my ride by reading and studyig up on my ride. I did not have money at the time because I had a minimum wage job and there was many times I bumbed rides to work, asked and assisted others to work on my ride because i wanted this car at this time. I did the best I could at the time and did manage to get through alot of the gremlins. And there was times i asked myself if it was time to give up on my dream ride. And even others around me would question my loyalty and thinking but they were not 69 stang owners. I have had the car for a number of years and it got me thru 3/4s of my destinations. Now I have a wife, kids, bills and work cutbacks, but the car is paid for, i was able to afford a second driver car and unable to get my 69 stang restored and its been sitting for a while due to setbacks and found for some of us this is the way it is and you know we never know what will come up some times.But i do know you will perservere and get over this setback. And like someone said there are other projects you can start on small and finish and take some time off on the stang because brakes are not that harrd and its probably something minor such as a seal, cylinder or hose. And since i decided to restore my stang its been sitting possibly waiting on the kids to grow up, wife to stop coming up with other things to fix on the house, more hours of work, more money, more time. But I wwill not give up on my ride because I always wanted it too. No car is perfect after a number of years and i have had brand new cars with gremlins. Keep your head up man. Because if you read back on alot of this forum a number of us have felt just like you. Face it you are alot like alot of us on this forum attempting to live a dream.

My intention with this thread was to find out from everyone that has been through tough times with their cars, how they cope and get through those tough times and perhaps share some of your horror stories.

Well, here's a little list of my tough times with my car.

What I thought was some minor rust repair in the front of my car turned into complete replacement of structural steel components and suspension parts from the firewall forward. Also included has been a replacement of the entire floorpan due to shoddy repair work by the moron working on the car for the previous owner.

My car came with a brand new, never fired 393 Windsor with all top shelf parts . The previous owner had a Ford high performance engine shop build it. Without going into to detail, the owner gave me the receipts showing he had over $12,000 in the engine. Previous said "moron" dropped a nut down the intake and left it there. I found out when I went to start the engine for the first time. Damage? Scratch one SRP forged piston, 2 stainless steel intake valves, dented combustion chamber on a AFR aluminum head, destroyed pushrod, and oh yeah, cracked cylinder wall on the block. Remedy for this? Lightening my wallet by $1400 and 2 months to get the work done. This was also was the money I was planning to use for new quarter panels, wheel houses, and trunk floor.

Several months ago rearend got noisy. Pulled it apart. Previous said "moron" strikes again. He didn't torque any of the bolts in the differential. Main cap bolts came loose. I ended up rebuilding the differential and upgraded some parts that were questionable. Kiss goodbye another $800 for parts.

Those are just some of the big problems I've run into. I've had many small issues come up. Currently i'm fighting several issues now. I've got a Crane distributor that acting up from time to time and I've got an oil leak around the rear main seal, or rear oil pan seal I can't stop, just to name two problems.

Yes it can get depressing. But when I drive my car, it makes me forget all the problems. It's neat watching people's heads swivel when I drive by. It's neat to have people come up to me in a parking lot and talk cars. When I get frustrated with the car, I just turn off the garage lights and put it aside. Then a week or two later I'll tackle the problem. I'm sorry to hear you've run into a stretch of problems, but don't give up. Once you over come them, it makes you appreciate your car all the more.

Edited by maxum96

My solution would be-to keep your spirits up-sit the little woman in the passenger seat drop the top, sit in the driveway and open your favorite decanter of bourbon. (Not whiskey, not tequilla-those spirits will leave you in The Down Place.) After a night like this, your group will be able to see the ultimate destination. You, your wife, and your pony have to sort out the pecking order, as it were!

Probably the best idea yet. LOL

Everyone has been through bumps in the road with old cars. It's the nature of the beast. Yes, I have had the throttle stick on a dual quad 428CJ Mach, yes it caught fire once, etc etc.

How do I cope?

Well, to be blunt, it's a car and a hobby. I save the coping and the group hugs for real life events, like job loss, cancer, death, etc.

It's just a car man. Ya have to keep in in perspective. Not to be harsh, I have never put the word cope in any sentence related to a recreational vehicle.

A wise man once said that often in life to have is not as rewarding as to want. Words were never more true than in the car hobby. When I feel the need to "cope" my buddy Jim has always been there for me. I have yet to find the answer at the bottom but that hasn't stopped me from keep on looking.

JimBeam.jpg

Shit just happens in life, mine certainly hasn't gone to plan. I waited 16 years to buy my dream car and I bought the absolute best one I could afford. It was a 2 owner low mileage original California rust free car completely mechanically and physically sound I figured I would be a good decade or two away from a full on restoration. It required just enough little things here and there to keep me in the hobby and still allow me to enjoy it right away, for the first 4 years anyway. Then that punk ran the red light doing 60 in a 30 and T-boned it leaving it totalled. After a year in physical therapy and law suits I was awarded a shit load, enough to make lemon aid of the lemons and build my dream car. Of course 1 year into it I lost my job and was out of work for 13 months with a baby on the way. I had plenty of time to work on the car now but had to Rob Peter to pay Paul and had to live off the cash instead of using it for the car. I was lucky not to have to sell the car too before finding a new job and it's a great job too but with the commute I put in a good 13 hour work day so I barely have tme to sleep and my weekends are spent catching up on house chores and spending time with my daughter. So now I have cash building back up and no fricken time. Yet another summer will pass me by this year I'm sure making 6 years off the road and no light ahead in the tunnel. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing how much I enjoyed those first few years and how great it will feel again one day.

a great job too but with the commute I put in a good 13 hour work day so I barely have tme to sleep and my weekends are spent catching up on house chores and spending time with my daughter. So now I have cash building back up and no fricken time.

I was there several years ago.

Yet another summer will pass me by this year .....

I'm so there now.

The only thing that keeps me going is knowing how much I enjoyed those first few years and how great it will feel again one day.

Man, that's it right there. :rockon:

Mmmmmmm, Jim Beam and Coke sure sounds good. LOL

After my recent issues with the car and while I was deciding what my next step would be, sell or not sell, I sat outside and just looked at the car sitting in front of my house. I kept telling myself how nice the car was and started thinking about the potential it has to be a great car once I do everything that I want to it.

So the next day I emailed a restoration shop. The owner called me this past Saturday and we talked on the phone for about an hour about the current state of the car and what I want out of it. He told me that he would do a thorough evaluation of the car and help me come up with a game plan on how to tackle it in phases.

I'm just curious now to see how much it will cost to get the car done the way I want it.

While I am a Coke fan tried and true I have to say that lately I have developed a taste for Jim with diet wild cherry pepsi. After waiting for ever to try their new Red Stag Black Cherry infused Bourban I found it too sweet and not worth the extra $$ but I liked the idea and combination so I tried this, I don't add much soda to the mix anyway but it's good.

I think you are making the right choice. Belive me, even though I cringed at the thought of my car going to pasture in the weeds I had to consider moving onto another car at one point and the unknowns were possibly just too numerous. My car may have not have been a fully loaded BB powerhouse but you don't find too many low mileage solid cars like it these days and I could have come across all kinds of scary things to fix with another car, at least with this one we knew what we were in for. It was still nice though to have my body guy confirm that we made the right choice and the car was actually as solid as we always believed, it just wont ever be all orignal again. I'm a modded guy at heart though anyway and I wouldn't have had the heart to do so otherwise so I like to think of it as a sign.

How do I cope?

Well, to be blunt, it's a car and a hobby. I save the coping and the group hugs for real life events, like job loss, cancer, death, etc.

Yep, that's a pretty good perspective on it.

In addition, I would say this:

You need a plan with realistic expectations more than "luck". Buying a 40+ year old car that you don't know the history of and expecting to drive it around just isn't very realistic IMO. Make two lists, one titled SAFETY/RELIABILITY, and the other titled PERFORMANCE/COSMETIC. The stuff in the first list is your priority before you even drive the car. Brakes have to be at or near the top of this list. What if your brake lines are all rotten from the inside? I recommend replacing everything in the brake system with either new or rebuilt before ever taking it on the road.

List all the other systems you can think of, don't worry if you can't think of anything that would go there right now. After brakes put ignition, wiring, cooling system, wipers, suspension etc. Write down all the parts that make up each system. Ask yourself "if this part failed, would I still be able to drive safely?" If the answer is "no", put a star by it or circle it in red and plan to replace it as soon as possible if it's the original 40 year old part. If you can afford to upgrade great, but if not, just replace with OEM type parts. After it's safe and reliable then you can start buying new chrome wiper shafts and 10 to 1 forged pistons in the second list.

In 1993 I started with a shell and took it straight to paint and body. Virtually everything I installed was either new or rebuilt. It took me 4 years to get it on the road then, but when I did it looked incredible and I drove it half way across the country after only a few short test drives. (It was very close to stock back then with only a few performance upgrades and a 5 speed OD trans).

Make a plan with realistic goals. Check them off one at a time. You'll eventually get there and you'll feel like you're making progress along the way.

I know I tend to ramble. I'm going back in my cave now.

Welcome to the world of owning a forty year old.....

I bought mine 10 years ago, Great body no engine/trans but mostly complete and in good shape. Or so i thought.

Went thru replacing/repairing brakes,suspension, steering, int dash work while seeking right eng.

Misc trim peices were shockingly priced, Waited, watched lost out on auctions for engine & clutch parts for a few years, But got a good deal finally.

Took 6 months to reinstall the new eng/trans with all the while I'm at its that came along. (had to draw the line and finish it)

Now it just short having the Ac lines made and charged to be complete with everything working, Yes even the clock and the alt gauge.

For the body/paint, Well its a good 10 footer and she shows a few small chips and aged repairs.

I'm gonna driver her a while before the repaint.

How I keep it going is she is paid for, anything spent is a onetime car payment or less.

The time behind the wheel now is PRICELESS!

I purchased my 70 Convertible just over a year ago. It was one of the happiest moments of my life. Ever since it has been one that at times I have begun to regret.

Since I've had the car I've had problem after problem. Now in addition to needing a new motor and trans, I got in it tonight thinking I could take it for a nice cruise with the top down only to discover that I didn't have any brakes. I took the cap of the master to find the front bowl was full but the back bowl was completely empty. After looking under the car I saw a puddle near the rear right tire. I've got a leak somewhere.

I know the brake issue is fairly minor and easy to fix. But it seems like it is always something. I haven't even really been able to enjoy the car at all since I've owned it. If it were a real horse I think I would have shot it by now.

My wife now calls the car Christine since it seems posessed by some evil spirit determined to not let me enjoy the car.

Times like this I contemplate selling the car, my only concerns there aside from the fact that I won't break even in it is I'm worried that if I cut my losses with this one and buy a different one I could be getting a whole new set of problems.

BIGscez, looks like everyone is in the same boat as you. I bought my car signt unseen...$25K. Looked great but ran like popooo, PO said the car ran good and only 5,000 miles on new motor...it was a mechanical nightmare, unsafe as heck, leaking SOB, and well with the overheating problem that the car had I can see why it only had 5,000 miles in 4 years. I changed: thermostat, radiator, water pump(found a broken bolt)...still over heating. Finally took the heads off and WAMMMM....the head gasket was put on backwards...After an additional $25K, everything from the engine, trans, suspension, brakes, wheels, tires, rearend, the car is right. The rack and pinion was the last thing to make the car drive better. I could have spent money on a shell and then build everything ground up and would have saved more money. I would not trade my car for any other one...she is my baby. I love this car. Take your time, let it be a hobby car. I'm impatient and need to have it now which costs money...BTW, I like your conv.