Sign in to follow this  
Wade

? wire missing for map light

Hi group, I just got the map light in the mail today that I bought off ebay.

There is a wire missing that I need clarification on. Can anyone tell me what the wire is, what its for and where it goes?

Here is my map light:

maplight.jpg

Here is a photo from another posting:

maplight2.jpg

The wire on the bottom of the second photo is what's missing on mine. Looks like a button switch. Can someone enlighten me on that?

Thanks!

I looks to me that the 'button' is the switch that operates the light when you open the glove box door. There should be a hole for it to plug into somewhere behind the glove box door. Make sure that the outside of this button switch makes a good ground when you plug it into the hole otherwise it wont work. The sliding switch is used when you want to operate the light without opening the glove box door. I do not have this feature on my '70 but I believe this is correct just by looking at the wireing.

Sure, that's the glove box switch. That map light doubles as a glove box light and that switch turns it on. It mounts behind the glove box door, top left side if I remember correctly. If your car didn't come with the light standard, it probably didnt come with the switch either. You'll have to track down a replacement or live without.

Thanks guys, I just went out to the garage and checked everything out. My car did come with it as part of the visibility group option. I found that switch in the glove box area, it was in its place with the wire cut. It just did not have the map light. The car was previously in lots of pieces and some things just got lost along the way. I find it funny that the exact wire I'm missing is the only piece I have for the map light in my car. It's as if the map light I bought on Ebay was the one out of this car!

I will need to solder the wire in place and am good to go!

Thanks! Now I will need to investigate all those stray cut wires I've found under the dash.

edit..

I just cleaned all the black paint off the glove box switch. The chrome ring is pretty rusted, anyone make a replacement switch?

Edited by Wade

I am converting my dash to the one with the rectangle clock and map light this weekend. I have the wiring for the map light but not for the clock !!! Thanks for posting that pic, I now see that Im missing the little wire harness with the clock plug and 2 lights. I wonder if anyone sells those???

Yes the clock feed wire can be found: http://mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=CF69+01

That is the section on the top of picture, the map light section of the harness cannot be found. I had looked for a replacement switch and they make them for mustangs up to 1968. The part number for ours is C9WB 14413B, that is not available anywhere. I have been able to find C3AZ 14413 glovebox/map light switches but as I said those are for 64 1/2 to 68 mustangs. So it looks like a little spray paint is in store to paint the chrome ring around the switch which is rusty.

Hi Wade,

I took (your) second picture a few weeks ago for someone with the same problem on a 'dutch Mustang forum'. I know there are differences in map light wiring between '69 and '70 Mustangs (other electrical plugs). I have the 'visibillity group' option on my car. It is mentioned on my 'bucket tag' as 'VG'. You can find the bucket tag behind the headlamp on thepassengers side.

buckettag.jpg

My car has the map light and and the little 'park' light for the parking brake beneath the ignition switch. I've got no (seat) 'belts' light above the ignition switch altough I've got a tach in my dash (?).

wade3.jpg

My map light switch was also rusty. I sandblasted first but this wasn't a good idea. No rust anymore, but the white switch became black/dirty. So, I used a bit of (white) plastic putty.

wade2.jpg

Use some 'bare metal foil' for the chrome around the switch. They use it for model cars. Hold the little bezel and pull the wire of the switch behind. Stick a piece of 'bare metal foil' on it, make a small hole in the foil and let the switch come in front slowly. This foil is better than any chrome paint. It's more 'shiny'.

bild2178.jpg

I used this foil for my dash bezel trim rings too. I bought a role of chrome foil in a local store. It's easier to work with. It is meant to repair exhausts or something. Prevent this foil from cracks. Don't fold this foil too much. You get a lot of folds then. It's always possible to push on a fold with your finger to make is smooth. I post a larger picture to see the smooth result. Isn't it nice ?

I hope this will help. Make a new switch out of your old one ...

greets,

Hans

Hi,

Buy a set of cutter knives (very cheap). The map light switch 'trim' is very small and can be cut as a 1 part. The cluster trim rings aren't. Don't cut 1 large trim ring out of the 'bare metal foil' ! Sure, it will not fit. The trim rings are curved to the inside too. Cut some small pieces of the foil (see picture) and stick it on a part of the ring. Use the cutter knive as a little 'saw' to cut the chrome foil outside the ring. Take a next small foil piece and stick it a bit over the other, and so on ...

Start with the small outer trim of the cluster. It's the easiest one, has not so many curves. Honest, It took me a whole day to complete this cluster but it's worth it. In the beginning, it's a bit 'trail and error' but in the evening you'll be proud of the result ...

bild2242.jpg

Greets,

Hans