Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Need standard clock parts

My standard (rectangular) clock hasn't worked since forever. I wanted to fix the workings, but I can't find any of the new clock movements for it in any of the catalogs. All I can find are the round ones.

So, anyone have or know where I can get the parts for a rectangular clock?

I did a quick search for the word "quartz" and came up with a bunch of threads. You can run the same search to see them all but this fairly recent one seemed the most pertinent to yours so it's the only link I posted here. Hope it helps.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7518&highlight=quartz

I got the clock out today and found the problem. There was a loose wire leading to the clock motor. I soldered it back on but when I plugged in the clock it fried itself again.

Thanks for the idea Dan. I'll check out your site. But I'm also curious how you wired the clock.

well.....ahhh.....ummmm.....I did not yet.......

It runs of a AA battery which should last a good long while....Plan was to make a little voltage reducer circuit to drop it to 1.5v and hook it up but I have not done that yet...when I do I will post it.

Dan

It runs of a AA battery which should last a good long while....Plan was to make a little voltage reducer circuit to drop it to 1.5v and hook it up but I have not done that yet...when I do I will post it.

Dan

Haha...caught in the act. I expect it'll run quite a while on a battery. Too bad you can't get the clock out without taking everything apart or else I'd do the same.

I did some more work on the clock today and I thought I had it solved. But alas, it was not to be. I determined the points were shot. I tried grinding them even again but as I was doing that the main terminal in the middle broke. So now the clock is really done! :tongue:

I emailed Instrument Services in IL and they said they don't have any DIY quartz kits for the rectangular clock. They can rebuild the clock and convert it to quartz in shop, along with refurbishing the lens, hands, etc for $120 plus $15 shipping.

What do you guys think?

I emailed Instrument Services in IL and they said they don't have any DIY quartz kits for the rectangular clock. They can rebuild the clock and convert it to quartz in shop, along with refurbishing the lens, hands, etc for $120 plus $15 shipping.

What do you guys think?

I think they pretty much got you by the short hairs and they know it. So it's up to you and how bad you want it to work I guess. I don't have a clock in mine, the one on the radio is just fine for me. If I did though I would probably find a cheaper home brew solution or just delete it unless I had everything else done and nothing else to fix or an extra $120 burning a hole in my pocket. And if I did I would buy that new gauge cluster I have been wanting first.

LOL, I respect your honesty. A couple dollars at Radio Shack would make you a decent regulator circuit. I'm working out a circuit now...