Sign in to follow this  
robcam

302-351 swap help

Hi guys, im new here. Here is my issue. My brother gave his 1969 fastback to a guy to restore. Spent a small fortune and the car is now in my garage in pieces. I have a good body guy starting the exterior work tomorrow. It appears all the parts are here (I hope).

The car originally had a 302 in it, but he bought a 351 out of a 1989 bronco. It is a fresh rebuild and is built up a bit. I need to know what i need to swap out to make it work in the stang and what you would recomend for parts suppliers. I am located in Ontario, Canada.

I know it needs a new oil pan, sump, intake, distributor. Im sure its a long list ontop of this.

Any help would be appreciated, I would like to have this car put back together for him as soon as possible so he can get some use out of it this year.

Thanks

Rob

Welcome.. as for parts in your neck of the woods cannot say for sure.

By the engine should swap over without too much trouble as they are both small blocks.

The problems may come when you start bolting on the front assessorys, Ie ps pump alt ect. the brackets are differant. plus the location of the water inlets to the pump and rad may need to be checked.

Does it even have all of the front accessories? Serpentine belt setup? If so keep them... just get a 70 radiator. Alternator is basically the same, although the brackets will be all different. If it has power steering that pump should work too just need to have a custom hose made.

Hi Guys, Im in the London area. The 351 has no accesories on it and the car does not have pwr steering. So i would need an entire set of accessories of a 351? I was hoping the alternator would work off the 302. Also there is no mecanical fuel pump on this motor. How would you suggest fixing this issue?

For the most part, you need…….and really, this depends on you for part of this and how†stock†you want it

I added some links to give you an idea......

-Use a ’69 water pump for a 351w

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-86-Ford-302-351W-V8-Engine-Water-Pump-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519248d241QQitemZ350346596929QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Use the everyday chrome small block alternator bracket available everywhere

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-351W-302-289-Ford-Chrome-Alternator-Bracket-SBF-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2306d0f137QQitemZ150438211895QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Use a harmonic balancer for a ’69 351W

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-80-FORD-MUSTANG-289-302-351W-6-4-HARMONIC-BALANCER-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e0f8d5a3QQitemZ360256689571QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Use a timing chain cover for a 69

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-69-Ford-F100-Truck-Van-302-351W-Timing-Chain-Cover-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bbd38903QQitemZ110525384963QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

You can omit the cam eccentric if using an electric, but I recommend putting it on in the case you want to change to a mechanical in the future, and with the 69 timing cover, you will not need to remove anything other than the block-off plate.

For the alternator, use this(which is a stock 351w item) it moves the mounting location to the 302 location. ………….ie centered over the freeze plug on a '69

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Ford-Mustang-351W-Engine-Alt-Head-Bracket-C9ZE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2ea3871d64QQitemZ200312036708QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

picture is wort a thousand words! you should not need a spacer between the alternator and the adapter....FYI

n512323892_1012123_7882.jpg

Make sure you remember the sump puck-up for a 351w and drive shaft for the distributor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-1970-MUSTANG-351W-OE-STYLE-ENGINE-OIL-PAN-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19bb32dccfQQitemZ110514855119QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Intake, longer engine feed harness as well.

For your pullys, if you have stock 302 pullys for a '69 it will be a direct swap. if the 302 is not a '69 then you need to find the. these are common pullys...FYI

Try e-bay or look in the yards.....

Thanx for all the help guys. The motor that is going in the car is FI right now. Changing over to carb. Would the timing cover, alternator, harmonic balancer and distributor work from the 69 302? also do i need a different clutch/ flywheel?

Edited by robcam

It should work fine. It’s a 28 oz balancer; make sure you have a matching flex plate/flywheel which ever you plan on using. Is the 302 an older 302, the original engine? Older 302's were 28oz so the flexplate should work fine. Are the bolt holes the same on the balancers? If it is a '69 302 the balancer should also work fine as the balance on a ’69 302 and all 351w/5.8’s are balanced the same.

Thanks trinity. The 302 that was in the car is not the original. It has a pwr steering pimp on it, but the cat has manual steering, also has alot of capped off vaccum lines. How would i know what flex plate we have?