Sign in to follow this  
69ISH

A/C Advise Please

Hi all,

I am restoring my 69 mustang and am at the stage of refreshing my heater box and A/C. I have been looking at prices to 1: Purchase a complete aftermarket system 2:Replace most of the components with new repro parts.

Both ways are quite costly but my car is missing the compressor ( I have stolen this for the eliminator as the one on it had failed), Adjustable Idler pulley, Fixed Idler pulley, I have purchased the ducting and centre A/C register as this was also missing.

My questions are

1: Do I need to replace things like the Condenser, Evaporator, Expansion valve, Service valve, hoses etc or do they not normally fail.

2: If I bought a aftermarket system who would you recommend (I would like to use the original vents)

3: What do you think would be the most economical way to have a reasonably reliable A/C in my car.

In my opinion I think you should go with an aftermarket system so you can have modern components and use modern refrigerant...if you're not wanting stock appearance. Agree with any of the Classic Auto Air systems.

You will need to replace the condensor and evaporator if the system has been open to the elements for an extended time. The moisture that gets inside can cause issues later on. But those parts are relatively cheap. If you just buy the entire Classic system everything you need should be included. It won't be too difficult since you're working with a car that was originally optioned with a/c.

On a side note, I have converted my a/c system from stock to aftermarket and it all works great. Saved a bunch of weight with the new compressor as well.

I have a A/C car as well and have thought long and hard about the direction i would want to go. MODERN!!!

1) you can have your A/C serviced anywhere

2) less drag on your engine

3) less space taken up and less weight

4) easier repairs if it breaks down on you

5) if you buy a new system you probably get a warranty (original as is)

6) better cooling

If you don't have the stock A/C set up I have made templates that you can fit over a non-A/C lower dash and cut out with a dremel and fit stock vents in your car to keep a more original appearance.

(I have had two a/c lowers that were rusty, and a perfect non a/c lower dash.. so i made a template for each side, cut out with a dremel and smoothed the edges with dremel grinding bit.. the stock vents fit like a glove and are in the correct locations. If you want me to send you a set of templates let me know)

I have a A/C car as well and have thought long and hard about the direction i would want to go. MODERN!!!

1) you can have your A/C serviced anywhere

2) less drag on your engine

3) less space taken up and less weight

4) easier repairs if it breaks down on you

5) if you buy a new system you probably get a warranty (original as is)

6) better cooling

If you don't have the stock A/C set up I have made templates that you can fit over a non-A/C lower dash and cut out with a dremel and fit stock vents in your car to keep a more original appearance.

(I have had two a/c lowers that were rusty, and a perfect non a/c lower dash.. so i made a template for each side, cut out with a dremel and smoothed the edges with dremel grinding bit.. the stock vents fit like a glove and are in the correct locations. If you want me to send you a set of templates let me know)

Thankyou for the offer,

My lower dash is fine and my car was originally an A/C car just has a lot of engine bay bits now missing and the componentry I still have has been sitting open for the last 2 years.

I did want to keep my A/C stock looking in the dash but being my car was originally only an "F" code and has had a "Mach" clone paint job but in a purple and I have a Ford racing 351W crate engine to go into it concourse originality is not really a high priority as long as any mods are true with in reason to the era.

I've got Classic Auto Air in my '69 and its well hidden up in the dash and uses the original heater/cooling controls. I'll be putting the same system in my '67 Camaro

Was your car originally an A/C car and if so what mods had to be done to the original heater box and ducting to get the new system to work or did the heater box etc have to be replaced.

Thank you all for your input.

Ok I am dragging up an old thread and due to unforeseen circumstances (work went quiet and no work no money) the A/C is no further advanced I am now in a position again to get the A/C sorted out especially with the Australian dollar faring so well against the greenback.

*****All feedback would be much appreciated******

I have decided to fit a retro fit system in my originally factory air car.

I am looking at these 3 different suppliers.

1. Classic auto air :- http://www.classicautoair.com/?q=69_70_Mustang_Cougar_Air_Conditioning_Ford_Mercury_AC.html

2. Vintage auto air :- http://www.vintageair.com/6970mustang.asp

3. Old air products :- http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_31000000_120132058_120132083_120132090_120132086&products_id=4257

I have sent an email of to all 3 companies asking for a quote delivered to Queensland Australia and what advantages there system has over the others.

Old air products has not replied at all, Vintage auto air replied with only a link to there site, no pricing, no comments, no text full stop except for there links.

I am leaning towards classic auto air even though they are not cheap but they have taken the the time to reply answering my questions where the other 2 either did not reply or did not answer any of my questions or provide a quote.

So what would their after sales service be like if I have any questions during install or missing parts etc.

I will copy and paste the reply from classic auto air below for your perusal.

Good Day Rodney,

The 1969 Mustang kit with the Factory Air adapter kit is $1,324 USD FOB our dock. I will ask our shipping department for a quote to Queensland.

The Perfect Fit kit uses two separate coils. Some of the competition uses only one.

Our coils are larger than both of our competitors.

One of our competitors boast of a blend door system. They use a water valve to control the flow of water through the heater coil just like our system. A true bend door system has water passing through the coil all the time and does not need or use a water valve. Their unit has a door that lets you blend the air by redirecting part of the air flow through the coil. Our units do not reduce the air flow by redirecting or diverting the air. The air passes through the both coils. If the air is too cold, opening the water valve will increase the temperature.

Our units can also be serviced in the field. Our competitor chooses to glue the housing together making the unit non-serviceable. If repairs are needed, the unit must be pulled from the car and returned to the manufacturer for repairs.

If you have any question let me know.

Dwight Dow

Classic Auto Air

877-342-5526

Ext 8023

What would you or have you used and why keeping in mind that freight to Australia is not cheap.?????

I have now decided to go with Classic Auto Air as I have .

sent 4 emails to them and they have replied to them all within 24 hours they have been very helpfull so far.

I have sent 3 emails to both Vintage Auto Air and Old Air Products, with no replies at all from Old Air and Vintage Auto Air has replied with a link to their website which was not what I was asking no reply to the 2nd email and finally gave me a quote in response to my 3rd email but still could not give me what advantages their unit had over the other 2.

I had originally thought that Classic Auto Air price was dear they ended up being over$250-00 USD cheaper than Vintage Auto Air once the freight was calculated into their quotes.

All my car needs is the air back to working. A guy gave me a compressor and compressor brackets and condenser. I want mine back to origional. I am told that to use the new freeon all you have to do is change out the old compressor oil to the new oil that the new freeon uses. Then get new hoses and expansion valve. My car still has the evaporator under the dash. I still need to see how to bolt on the compressor brackets. Looking at pictures is hard for me to tell what they bolt on to.

Based on my experience with converting my Mach to a/c with original parts, if I were to do it again, I'd choose a quality aftermarket setup from CAA, VA, or OAP. The quality of their stuff compared to the original stuff is epic and so is the performance when using R134.

Hi all,

I went with Classic Auto Air, The install to date has been very easy I ordered it with the adaptor kit to suit factory air, I have not completed the install as there is no running gear in the car as yet but everything has gone along well except for they have changed the design of their condenser (Much better looking now) and they had still supplied the old srew type which was too long and had punctured the condenser, I immediately emailed them and from my email they had discovered this problem and then notified everyone that had the new style condenser.

They then supplied me with a new condenser and correct screws without delay and considering that I am on the otherside of the world I am very impressed.

If anyone is interested I dealt with Dwight Dow and could not recommend him highly enough.

If you have any questions or would like photos of any part of my install just let me know.

Was your car originally an A/C car and if so what mods had to be done to the original heater box and ducting to get the new system to work or did the heater box etc have to be replaced.

Thank you all for your input.

No it wasn't an original AC car, but it already had the Classic Air on it when I purchased it.

Hi all,

I went with Classic Auto Air, The install to date has been very easy I ordered it with the adaptor kit to suit factory air, I have not completed the install as there is no running gear in the car as yet but everything has gone along well except for they have changed the design of their condenser (Much better looking now) and they had still supplied the old srew type which was too long and had punctured the condenser, I immediately emailed them and from my email they had discovered this problem and then notified everyone that had the new style condenser.

They then supplied me with a new condenser and correct screws without delay and considering that I am on the otherside of the world I am very impressed.

If anyone is interested I dealt with Dwight Dow and could not recommend him highly enough.

If you have any questions or would like photos of any part of my install just let me know.

Good news! They are a very good company to work for.

"Good news! They are a very good company to work for."

Is that work for, as in a remote rep, or do you live in the Tamps area?

(I have been looking for a coffee and cars event over in the Tampa area but don't see anything.)

I was able to drive mine over and have Classic do my Sanden compressor upgrade many years ago. Looks like they have moved and gotten bigger since then.

They were great to work with back then also.

JIM

"Good news! They are a very good company to work for."

Is that work for, as in a remote rep, or do you live in the Tamps area?

(I have been looking for a coffee and cars event over in the Tampa area but don't see anything.)

I was able to drive mine over and have Classic do my Sanden compressor upgrade many years ago. Looks like they have moved and gotten bigger since then.

They were great to work with back then also.

JIM

I meant work "with" not "for". Not sure what I was thinking, or maybe was drinking.

Hi all,

Thank you for your post and the update. Good to hear that some companies still care about the customer after the sale.

Been looking for an a/c unit for my 69 coupe, and your experiences sound like Classic is the company to go with. Sorry to hear of your problem, but it sounds like you are satisfied with the outcome. You need to get your car running, since summer's coming on down under. Thanks again.