Sign in to follow this  
Burn

Max Clutch size for 164-tooth flywheel ?

I recently bought a 164-tooth C5AE-6380-E flywheel for my 351W. Does anyone know the largest clutch I can run? Mustangtek says 10" or 10.5", but other sites say 11". I already have a new 10", but if I can run 11" I will.

Thanks!

Jim

I only learned this over the weekend upon removing my tranny and clutch on my 351W, but my clutch disk measures 11" in diameter. It has 10 inner teeth, but I didn't count the teeth on the flywheel. I'm 99.9% sure the flywheel is original.

Hope that helps.

Jsams, how do like the dual friction Centerforce? How's the pedal pressure feel?

Is everyone still using the assisted spring on the clutch pedal or is it no longer needed with the diaphragm type pressure plates?

Edited by Burn

I went with the Centerforce dual friction 11" clutch and pressure plate combo and had the flywheel resurfaced. I now have a couple of questions. I read through the Centerforce papers and they're telling me to get the special pressure plate bolts. Where the heck can I get these at? I've check about 5-6 bolt/hardware stores and no one has them. I've also check two separate Ford dealerships and they cant find a part number for them. I think they're supposed to be 7/16 -18, shoulder bolt, 1" total length, grade 8. I have found the bolts, but none of them are shouldered and Centerforce specifically says to use "Shoulder" bolts or expect misalignment/chatter/...

Second question: Is it necessary to check the bellhousing alignment on a stock Ford bellhousing? I only see this (online) being done on aftermarket bellhousings. If I need to check it whats the easiest way and where the heck would the offset dowel pins go. I have two studs protruding from the back of the block that help line up the bellhousing to the block. Are these called alignment dowels?

This 4 speed install is a pain in my :asshole: so far.

Mustangs unlimited, B7AT3263 01 pressure plate bolt kit 12ps 5/16x1 with lock washers.

Using stock bell does not require offsetting dowels to be used.

To check, with clutch tool in place mount bell and check that tool is centered in trans opening.

Edited by Mach1Rider