Sign in to follow this  
joe's69

how many 69 gt coupe??

i was wondering how many 69 gt coupes were built and how many guys on here have one.. my old ma had a 69 gt coupe back in the 70's, his was a 351-4v with a 4-speed, blue on black with a black vinyl top.. i am cloning the car now since i couldnt locate the real car after alott of trying.. thanks

Edited by joe's69

5,396 Total GT's in 69. I think it was the lowest GT sales compared to previous years and I know there were more Convertible GT's sold in 69 then sportsroof GT's because people got the Mach1 package instead. Now how many of them were coupes I dont know. I have never seen that number anywhere. Perhaps if someone with a GT coupe (there are some on here) has a deluxe Marti report it may have x of XXXX GT coupes on there??

no i dnt have the vin, but i'd love to locate the car.. it was distinct becouse he had the tilpan pinstriped 70's style and it had an accel distributer in it, big old aluminum slotts on the back.. if it hasnt been restored i'd know it's the car..

[ATTACH]6372[/ATTACH]As far as I know, both Bnickel and I have 69 GT coupes. I believe Bnickel had his up for sale, but I don't know what became of it.

The story of my find is chronicled here some 8 months ago (?). In short, the PO clearly didn't know what he had and had it listed as a "69 coupe" for $3,000 on Craigslist. There was only one crappy picture (from the front) in the ad and the PO said he wasn't willing to move it out of the storage space for inspection as there was too much stuff crammed around it.

I was just looking for another project and went to see it. Got the codes, saw the GT telltale signs (crawling around because he would NOT roll it out), and bought it soon after. It's a 351-4V, 4 speed, jade black. It hadn't been started in 20+ years, so i had some issues. Am rebuilding the toploader now but that's the last major bit of work.

Should be a great car when it's done.

Tom

Edited by foothilltom

A Marti report is conclusive in that it would reveal the "GT Equipment Group" option, but without that in hand, the telltale signs that I know of are:

* GT emblem on flip-top gas cap (not screw on)

* Non-functional hood scoop with integrated turn signals

* Pin style hood locks

* "GT stripes" along bottom of doors between front and rear wheels

* Beefier suspension, springs, shocks, and front sway bar

* Dual exhaust with cutouts in rear valance, rolled-edge chrome dual tips

* H, M, S, Q, and R codes only

* Some stuff I'm forgetting

This stuff can be added easy enough to any coupe but taken together, it makes a good case. Again, the Marti report is the key.

Bryan's car immediately popped into my head whern I read this, he not only has one of the 1400+ GT Coupes but with the exception of having an automatic transmition it is pretty mush identical to the one your old man had. It's been a year now but as far as I know it is still for sale, it's a very nice car, may be too nice for what you are looking for but at the least I am sure the pics of his restoration would be useful. I dug up his want ad for you, there is a link in his first post to his picture gallery. The last post shows the price has dropped, if it is still for sale the price may even be lower now given the tough economy.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=4974

69_stang_GT_my_car_04_30_2008_1.sized.jpg

yes that is close, but hs was a 4-peed and had no spoiler.. i would imagine that his car probly died a slow death in the late 80's, good chance it's a honda by now.. however a freind told me about one recantly that could be it.. he tells me that he ment a guy who has a 69 coupe thats blue with a 351 4-speed and the guy claims it is a gt. he's asking 3,000.00 and it is sitting in barn about 30 minutes from my house.. i am going to look into the leed when i get the cash together, but it is probly just a botched together pile like all the others i looked into....

Follow that lead, you never know! If it's a GT coupe and isn't a big pile of rust, $3K is a sweet deal.

Why not take a look at it now, post some pics and we'll help you solve the mystery! You don't want that to get away if it's the real deal.

Good luck.

i'm gonna look into it, but i dont wanna not have cash. cause if it is good or better the car i'm looking for i wanna be able to buy it rite away. if not he mite try selling the car, while i'm waiting to get the cash.. rite now it aint for sale, but my buddy says he offered the car to him and him only for 3,000. but he doent like 69-70 coupes, he wants a 66-back.... thanks

According to my paid for Marti info. my R code GT coupe is one of 43 R code GT's. They made a total of 86 R code 4 speed cars GT and non GT. I don't know how many were 4 speed or auto out of the 43 R GT's. Two of the R GT's coupes were Ford test cars and mine was one of them.

It's really hard to make out details but I'd be surprised if this is a real GT. By 1976 the car could have easily been repainted but the GT style stripes look too high and I can't make out a dual exhaust. Also, that does not look like a factory style vinyl top.

it was a factory gt, had the gt specific gas cap and heavy duty suspenssion... he had sent a letter wit the vin # to ford when he got it and they sent him a big yellow envolope full of paperwork for the car.. those papers varified it was a real gt coupe.

yes my old mans car had the gt wheels, suspenssion, gas cap and exhaust when he bought it. but his had chrome mirror's? either way like i had said, he has a letter from ford that tells how the car was built and has other info on it.. he had wrote to ford in the mid 70's about the car and got an yellow envolope full of stuff..

I forgot to mention the odd chrome mirrors too, he must have had the vinyl top added later then or by the dealer. The mislocated GT stripes baffle me though, even if it was repainted you would think they would have measured and put them where they belonged. I wonder why the exhaust doesn't show in the pic too, I wish the gas cap had made it into the photo. Too bad you don't have all that documentation still today.

yes he has the papers from ford.. they are packed away somewhere but i have seen them.. also he has more pics, ones of the rear and other side. the vynal top could be dealer installed, the trim on it confused me aswell..