Sign in to follow this  
69stang

Currie 3rd Member

http://www.cjponyparts.com/currie-3rd-member-complete-with-posi-4-spider-gear-set-up-8-1965-1973/p/CE325/

Does anyone have any reviews on this unit?

Or know of anywhere else that sells a quality pre-assembled unit?

I am looking for 3.55 gears with some type of Limited Slip Rear (95% street use).

I saw Currie sells an aluminum 3rd member as well, but I havent seen it in a pre-assembled kit.

The link you showed is for an 8" differential. Are you wanting info on 8" or 9" differentials? I'm not aware of anyone making 8" carriers in aluminum. Stay away from the aluminum 3rd members. They're for all out racing and cause the ring and pinion to wear out faster. If you have some mechanical skill, you can build up your own 9" center section. It's not that hard to do. You just need a dial indicator with magnetic base. If can't borrow one from a friend, you can get them pretty cheap from Harbor Freight. You can probably build a center section with a aftermarket performance center section for around $800.

Here's a pretty good deal on a complete center section from Strange Engineering. It's built with all new high performance parts including Daytona pinion support and high performance yoke.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/catalog/index.html

Edited by maxum96

the car is a street car, with an 8" in now.

It may make 350 hp on a VERY good day.

I always like the idea of reducing weight over adding power (faster, better handling, better gas mileage, better braking etc etc.)

If you don't beat on it, that 8" will be ok behind a 350 hp engine. But if you're gonna be putting your foot it, I would strongly recommend upgrading to a 9" rear end. I went to Currie's website and saw that they are making an 8" center section in aluminum. I didn't know that. They say it's not for racing or abusive applications. It's not cheap at almost $400. I paid less than that for my Strange Engineering Pro Nodular center section. And I can beat on it all day and not break it. I personally don't think there is much weight or power savings in using a 8" over a 9". And definitely no cost savings.

Edited by maxum96