Sign in to follow this  
LSG

tailpipes

Do we know of anyone who makes 3 inch or 3 & 1/2 inch tailpipes for a 69-70 stang ? I want to have one large pipe coming out of the rear valance cutout on each side. Mandrel bends are a must. I've looked at the magnaflow, and they seem like they might work, but they want to sell me the whole kit, and I only need from the mufflers to the back. If you have some tailpipes you like, did you buy them prebent, or did a shop custom bend them for you ? Got a pic of the tail ? LSG

Have fun getting 3 1/2 " or even 3" mandrel pipes over the rear axle. I know some people have done 3", but it's a squeeze. I have enough fun with my 2 1/2" pipes. Be aware that 3" or 3 1/2" pipe is going to be much louder than the same exhaust system with 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" pipe.

You can buy mandrel bends in the size you need and make a transition after it goes over the axle. You'll need some sheet stock and access to a roller. There is a formula for making a cone transition (angle of stretchout = r of base/slant height x360). You can buy transitions from various internet sources, here's just one supplier http://drgas.mybisi.com/product/187547/Reducer-Cones_1082116.html. You might go to a muffler shop and see just how much you can stretch a muffler pipe. They have hydraulic swedgers that could make a transition. They may be able to get you what you want. Good luck.

I have flowmasters that are AWESOME but they are 2.5 inch to like 3.5 inch tips and it looks amazing coming out of the valance man. They make a whole exhaust system for 69

That would be the American Thunder kit from Flowmaster

flo-17281_w.jpg

I have the same kit, except mine tucks up behind the valance.

flo-17282_w.jpg

69g, the PM should be on its way this am. I'm no computer wizard, but I'll give it a shot. I'll get the kids to help me if I can't figure it out. I know there are some folks who think the 3s are too loud, but because I have NOTHING on the car now, and exhaust dumps out under my feet. It is deafening right now. I seem to remember that I thought this was cool 25 years ago.....now that I am slightly more mature ( at least I like to think so ) I'm ready to have the exhaust come out the back. 3 inch pipes will still be quieter than where I am now. I can still hear some, and I want to keep it that way. LSG

3" pipes to the bumper will be quieter than dumps under the car. The shorter the pipe, the more noise. I had Flowmaster on the 70 in my avatar years ago when Flowmasters first came out. I put downturns at the rear axle. Damn was that loud, especially inside the car. I added tailpipes to the mufflers. Quieted the car substantially. The change in the noise level inside the car was tremendous. It didn't sound that loud. I had my brother drive my car once while I stood on the sidewalk. It was still fairly loud at the back of the car. I think if you're worried the car will be too quiet with 2 1/2" pipes, it won't. Hard to tell the sound level, but here's what my car sounds like with the Flowmaster exhaust system I posted earlier about. Trust me, it's plenty loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqlKeRaiWuw&feature=channel

I just saw a guy at a car show with a 69 mach1 with a 427 windsor in it and it had 3" tailpipes out the back. the car sounded incredible. of course I asked him who did the exhaust since the were mandrel bent and fit real good, and he told me he used flowmaster 3" pipes from a 70 Chevelle kit that he got from a buddy. he did say he needed to cut and rotate part of the pipe and reweld them but the looked great. might be something to look into?

I had my whole system made, and it's awesome, but I don't have tailpipes. When I put this engine in, it had Hooker Aero Chambers, and an X pipe, with no tailpipes. I put the exact same thing back on, only switched it to 3", and surprisingly, it's not that much louder.

I had my whole system made, and it's awesome, but I don't have tailpipes. When I put this engine in, it had Hooker Aero Chambers, and an X pipe, with no tailpipes. I put the exact same thing back on, only switched it to 3", and surprisingly, it's not that much louder.

by tailpipes are you talking about the exhaust is dumped right after the muffler? or you just haven't installed the tip that exits through the valance cutout? since you had the system made, why didn't the tailpipe also get installed?

It doesn't have any tail pipes. It has turndowns. Tail pipes are a restriction, so they were left off on purpose.

if the tailpipes kill scavenging then so wouldn't the muffler itself? i thought the benefits of scavenging mainly occurred in the collector. i've probably interpreted information incorrectly.

did you consider running cutouts so you would have the best of both worlds?

It says tailpipes are a restriction, even in the post you quoted ;)

I absolutely hate the sound of open headers, so I will always have mufflers.

sorry about that. for some reason i thought you wrote tailpipes caused scavenging issues.

as far as cutouts, i was referring to using them at the dragstrip where the restriction of the exhaust would be removed for better performance. i would be surprised if a person would notice the restriction of tailpipes on the street (especially with the power in your engine).

you must not have the mach 1 valance on your car?

I have heard that cutouts can actually hinder scavenging, because exhaust can get caught up in some of the voids created in the system where the cutouts are installed. I don't really know if that's true, or not. That's not why I didn't install them on my car though. I just didn't want them. I've gotten to the point where I just trailer my car to the track, so when it breaks, I can get it home. if I want to run open headers, I'll just take the 10 minutes, and take my exhaust off. I don't really have A reason for not installing cutouts, other than I don't want them.