StephenC

Help me choose a Transmission

Well,

I went to get my tranny from the local fellow here who had one for me, and it seems he sold the 2000 Model unit i wanted and had a 96 model from an F-150 with a V-8 and a 98 model that was behind a 4.6....He offered to give me both for the price of one and said that I could use the 96 case and put in all the 98 internals into it, but I just told him to take his time, so he made a few calls and found me a 98-99 model from a V-6 Explorer that he is goign to get for me.

So my Question is about the shift selector....since im going to be using a Ratchet shifter will i have to make any modifications to the shift selector on the explorer tranny? he said the selector is mounted different since the explorer is a column shift and not a floor shift.

Need some opinions...I know the 98 and up trannies are better and stronger in every way than their older bretheren...I just need this thing to survive behind about 500 hp with a 125 shot of N20 on it for occasional use. Tranny will be rebuilt with all raybestos frictions.

Baumans had not started on my controller yet, so they said they would wait to build mine. But they have my Credit card info so they know im in for the long haul.

Mike

You guys and your silly automatics :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: A T56 6spd is so much more fun:tt2:

So true, I'll trade you straight across!!

Mike,

make sure its a V8 explorer trans, not a v6 the v6 has a 5r55 or a 4r55, not a 4r70, and won't bolt on, or survive behind 500HP. If you want the trans to survive behind 500 HP, the 2 for the price of one isn't a bad deal, since you might want to consider tearing it down and adding clutches anyway. Check out the TCCOA forum, they have a bunch of info for high horsepower mods. For the selector, you can flip which direction the selector faces with the pan off. Check out stevenC's pics, I think that is what he did. I wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker for buying the trans.

BTW, just got a call back from baumanns. I am getting mine sooner than 2 weeks!!

Well,

I went to get my tranny from the local fellow here who had one for me, and it seems he sold the 2000 Model unit i wanted and had a 96 model from an F-150 with a V-8 and a 98 model that was behind a 4.6....He offered to give me both for the price of one and said that I could use the 96 case and put in all the 98 internals into it, but I just told him to take his time, so he made a few calls and found me a 98-99 model from a V-6 Explorer that he is goign to get for me.

So my Question is about the shift selector....since im going to be using a Ratchet shifter will i have to make any modifications to the shift selector on the explorer tranny? he said the selector is mounted different since the explorer is a column shift and not a floor shift.

Need some opinions...I know the 98 and up trannies are better and stronger in every way than their older bretheren...I just need this thing to survive behind about 500 hp with a 125 shot of N20 on it for occasional use. Tranny will be rebuilt with all raybestos frictions.

Baumans had not started on my controller yet, so they said they would wait to build mine. But they have my Credit card info so they know im in for the long haul.

Mike

If the shift select is facing down you can flip it around so its right side up to retain the factory shifter (that's what I did) or if your want a quarter stick or something like a ratchet then this is what you would do for that.

Edited by StephenC

So true, I'll trade you straight across!!

Mike,

make sure its a V8 explorer trans, not a v6 the v6 has a 5r55 or a 4r55, not a 4r70, and won't bolt on, or survive behind 500HP. If you want the trans to survive behind 500 HP, the 2 for the price of one isn't a bad deal, since you might want to consider tearing it down and adding clutches anyway. Check out the TCCOA forum, they have a bunch of info for high horsepower mods. For the selector, you can flip which direction the selector faces with the pan off. Check out stevenC's pics, I think that is what he did. I wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker for buying the trans.

BTW, just got a call back from baumanns. I am getting mine sooner than 2 weeks!!

Yes thats what I did with my selector.

Man thats good to hear I shold be getting mine somtome next week and installing it the week after so I'll let everyone know how it will be.

oOPS Sorry I ment the V8 Exploder, If he cant locate what I want I suppose I can take the two tranny deal, and yeah i will be doing a rebuild on the unit, I just dont know if anyone in town has enough exp with these trannies to swap internals and make this thing work, i mean its one thing to take and rebuild a whole unit, its anoother to take two and make one with all the right stuff LOL

Mike

Got my controller today and man I have go to say I am impressed with the 2nd gen its makes the 1st gen look like something a caveman would of been using. Once you guys get yours let me know your input on were you think your going to mount the tcs? because right now I cant even think of a spot for it.

What shifter are yall gonna be usein?

I'm going to be using the factory shifter but now I'm kind of thinking of a ratchet but I have a B&M ratchet shifter with my C4 now and I'm not impressed so i am going to try out the factory and if I dont like it them I will switch back to my ratchet.

hey everyone so just an update and a question here. I wired up everything today except for the neutral safety switch and pulled out the old C4. Tomorrow I will be putting in the 4R hopefully. My question is though is that the torque converter for the 4R is about 1/8" to big on the bolt pattern for the flexplate. So my question is how can I get the 4R converter to work on my flexplate? Or what flexplate should I buy to work with the 4R?

Edited by StephenC

As far as I know, the C4/C6/FMX/AOD/4r70w all have 11.5" converter bolt patterns. I couldn't tell you why you are having a problem with bolt hole alignment. Did you take your flexplate off and check it to the converter while it is all on the floor? I would recomend bolting the flexplate to the converter, with the converter installed in the transmission, and install the starter so that you can check that the starter is in the correct location. It might save you headaches down the road. I can tell you for certain, that I had a stock 351W FMX transmission, and the flexplate fit to the 4r converter. I dont recall if you have a 302 or a 351w, but the flexplate is interchangeable between the two (pre-81 302 that is.)

The C4 Flexplate wouldnt aline so I had to use an AOD flexplate and its a really tight fit in the bellhousing. So I got the trans into today took me about 3 hours. I hope none of you have the same problems as i did.

Edited by StephenC

Well today I got all wiring done and plumbed the cooler in and installed a new speedo cable and gear FYI for me my factory speedo cable was too short so I had to get a new one from autozone that's 10" longer. Now to fool with exhaust the passenger side header fit perfectly with no modification. I wish I could say the same about the drivers side. I am more than likely going to have to bend out the collector to be able to clear the neutral safety switch and pan. If not bending it I might be able to get away with removing the steering box and making a straight shot up, but that would be close

Hey stephen, can you tell me exactly how much wider teh 4r is than the fmx where exhust would be concerned? I JUST got my exhuat on and modified last week and wanna check to see if I got the headers bent wide enough for the 4r.