StephenC

Help me choose a Transmission

I still need to purchase mine so if any of you guys want to talk privately or somthing about a group buy let me know email is a little easier for me as I don't check the website everyday. But I'm sure we could get a nice discount from Baumann?

Ok today I installed my new TCI valve body and deep sump pan. I'm just a little worried if I will have any clearance issues with the pan to ground? Anyone else have a deep pan like this one with ant issues?

J mod does do essentially the same thing but the valve body was somthing that a buddy of mine had laying around from his 2000 stang that he sold almost a year ago so I got it for $50 I couldnt pass up a deal like that. Its good to have freinds with the same cars. Still I could of done the J mod for what is it like $20 but this just saved me the time and hassle.

Edited by StephenC

It's a v6 case with v8 internals so it can handle alit more hp and torque. The converter is a 2400 stall out of a 92 f150. And yes I need the baumanns controller and wire harness. I talked to then today they said that it would be a 4-5 week wait because there getting ready to come out with a new software and everything for it. They did however say that we can get a group deal were for the wire harnes and controller it would be $425 instead of $550 that's for the 3 of us so if anyone else wants one or you know anyone we might be able to get an even better deal.

Thanks for making the call Stephen. I am in no hurry to order, in fact, would prefer to wait, since my car is months away from being road worthy. I think I counted potentially 2 others on this post that would be interested. if Mikestang and boogerschnot are planning on doing this swap. Are you guys on any other forums where there are others doing this swap? I don't need the wiring harness, but it makes sense to get it with you guys if you need the harness. It might save me some headaches anyway. Unfortunately, the transmission needs to be lowered a little bit in order to plug all the wires into the transmission.

Just to give an update of a couple other things I discovered... a AOD dipstick tube does not interchange with the 4R. The hole seems a little loose (the FMX is no where near the same.) I did use the FMX block plate, attached is the modification I had to do to the inspection plate. I seals up nicely, but not a "perfect" fit. the inspection cover is held on with metric bolts. (M10x1.75 I think.) luckily, the starter still uses good old fasioned american hardware!

Thanks for making the call Stephen. I am in no hurry to order, in fact, would prefer to wait, since my car is months away from being road worthy. I think I counted potentially 2 others on this post that would be interested. if Mikestang and boogerschnot are planning on doing this swap. Are you guys on any other forums where there are others doing this swap? I don't need the wiring harness, but it makes sense to get it with you guys if you need the harness. It might save me some headaches anyway. Unfortunately, the transmission needs to be lowered a little bit in order to plug all the wires into the transmission.

Just to give an update of a couple other things I discovered... a AOD dipstick tube does not interchange with the 4R. The hole seems a little loose (the FMX is no where near the same.) I did use the FMX block plate, attached is the modification I had to do to the inspection plate. I seals up nicely, but not a "perfect" fit. the inspection cover is held on with metric bolts. (M10x1.75 I think.) luckily, the starter still uses good old fasioned american hardware!

I'm not on any other forums other than this one but $425 is what they sell them to there retailers for and like I said maybe if we had more buyers that we could get a even better discount. I'm at the tail end of this swap the last thing that I need is the controller but like I said they have an expected 4-5 weeks waiting list for the 2nd Gen controller. I did however pre order them so he will give me a call once there ready to ship out to make a payment on them. The inspections plate and block plate from my C4 seems to fit almost perfectly but that wont be for sure until I put it in.

Id be in in a couple months once I get more $. I thought the v8 and v6 trannys were pretty much the same?

They are the same except the V8's have an extra clutch disk which you could put in for pretty cheap.

Nice. I found a tranny with 80k for $300 but Im tapped out. What years and vehicles has the higher stall convertor? I thought I read somewhere that since you can control the lockup on the tranny that you can have a higher stall convertor and be very streetable. Is this true?

Matt,

the V6 version is not as strong as the v8, but is plenty strong. The missing clutch plate is in the direct drum, which I think is a 3rd and OD drum, so 1st and 2nd gear is equal. Since the strength of the parts are the same, the v6 capacity is lost by not having as much holding power as the V8 version. You can sort of make up some clutch holding capacity by increasing the hydraulic presure in the transmission. This is done with the baumann computer. Also, I have read that the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are slow, decreasing the life of the trans. The baumann shift kit, or in my case, the j-mod will speed this shift up eliminating the "flair" (bad) in the shift. I believe the stock converter has a high stall compared to our old stuff because of the lockup. The V8 version has a slightly different lockup, but the mod-motor converter does not bolt on the windsor/V6 flex plates. This leaves the explorer converter, and I doubt it has a higher stall than the v6 car converters. Check out the TCOOA forum, lots of info on that stuff there.

What motor and cam do you have? FWIW, I have a stockish 351, that will probably be a little torquey, maybe around 275 HP and 350 ft-lbs. I am comfortable with the v6 trans behind this motor. I am with you on the tight budget, Unless you really need the high stall converter, I would skip that one for now. I also saved a few bucks by doing the j-mod instead of a shift kit. For the 1998 and newer transmissions, no springs need to be purchased. The j-mod only cost $5 + an inch-pound torque wrench. The TCOOA site doesn't have the jmod specs for the newer transmissions. If you do it, let me know, and I can find the writeup I used.

I will be interested in the Bauman deal when the time comes, I need the harness and computer and all....I dont want to splice any old factory wiring in anywhere, just want to plug and play when the time comes...And im in no hurry, Still gotta go get my tranny from the guy that has it :P havent had time.

Mike

Yea Im goin to get the 98+ v6 tranny and want it told hold a decent amount of power so I dont need to take it out again. Right now I have a stock 351 with an fmx. Will be puttin on some nice heads intake etc. etc. Later will either be a supercharger or 408. Either way it will be over 500 when Im done.

OK i just made another post on http://www.corral.net to see if anyone else wants to buy the Buamanns with us. Possibly if we buy more than 4 units we can get a better deal we will see though. I cant wait to get mine that's the last piece I need to install the trans that's been staring at me every time I walk into the garage just taunting me to get put in.

So I made a milestone! I got the car started. I have only added 8 quarts of trans fluid, and am certain that more is needed. But without electronics, the wheels are moving forward and backwords without any horible noises etc. Obviously no road test, but the car is still far from being road worthy. After I top off the fluid, I can try to give a little resistance with the brakes.

What is the status of people interested in a group buy? I am still not in a hurry, but would like to make the group buy work out. Are the two of you still in? Any newcomers please chime in!

Yea I'm just waiting for the call from Baumanns. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say I need to put my trans in NOW!! Everyday I just want to put it in and let the car sit in the garage until I get the controller I'm getting anxious. Any updates from anyone haven't heard anything new in awhile. I got my headers on they are Hooker Comps and I don't believe they fit around the new trans because they hardly fit around my C4 now and the drivers side header is hitting the frame under and behind the steering box so it makes the most annoying sounds while I'm driving.

So I made a milestone! I got the car started. I have only added 8 quarts of trans fluid, and am certain that more is needed. But without electronics, the wheels are moving forward and backwords without any horible noises etc. Obviously no road test, but the car is still far from being road worthy. After I top off the fluid, I can try to give a little resistance with the brakes.

What is the status of people interested in a group buy? I am still not in a hurry, but would like to make the group buy work out. Are the two of you still in? Any newcomers please chime in!

Yes I believe we have 3 people on this forum including myself that are in a group buy then I have another 3 people from thecorral.net going in on the group buy so I will see if there's any more of a discount when I call tomorrow. Also please anyone who is interested in the group buy PM me so it will be easier than having to look through this forum to find out.

Haha not a problem as long as we can get some more people. I talked to Baumanns today they said at the latest 3 more weeks but they expect that they will be earlier. As far as for payment is there any way to put all the money together? bBecause Baumanns said that they wanted one full payment like a cashiers check or pay credit card over the phone. Anyone have any kind of experience dealing with anything like that?

The only way is if we all paypal one person, and that one person puts it on their card. Baumann also probably will want to ship them all to one place also. So this group buy is turning into a dealer price... Who wants to be the dealer??!!

I can do it actually, but I am not using a credit card these days, so I will have to have at least the majority of the money first so it will clear the debit card.