StephenC

Help me choose a Transmission

OK I did my best to get some measurements for you. What I came up with is the pan is 12" wide which is were my header kept clipping it at keeping me from going up with the header. The pass. header is the only one I have installed at the time but there is roughly 3" clearance between the collector and the pan. The bell housing itself is about 13.5" wide and there is also a nub on the drivers side bell housing that does absolutely nothing so I had to dent in the header a little I was also contemplating cutting it off though since it serves no purpose? Heres the best pic I could get of it they are such bad quality because I was using my phones camera.

OK so I got the drivers side header on yesterday after do a little cutting and welding and re cutting and re welding. What I ended up doing is cutting the collector into 2 piece 4" long and angling both of them out 1" and in 1" welded the joint and then wrapped the big gap with some 16ga metal and then welded those on. Its not pretty but I plan on heat wrapping the collectors because there still pretty close to the trans pan.

Raising an old thread...but getting ready to collect the parts to put the 4r70w in my 1969 Mach 1. It's got a retrofitted Tremec 3550 ..... but came originally with the FMX. For those who finished this conversion, how has it held up?

This thread has the most views for the 4R70W conversion I think so It needs a sticky.

Anyhow I am about to start my 4R40W install so got a few parts and ran into a snag on the flywheel..I didnt want to wait to order one that some people said was right so I started looking around town and I found what works.

If you are running a 351w and a 4R70W with a 14" Converter you will need an FRA-205 Flexplate from Auto Zone...It's Made by Pioneer

This plate is 164 tooth, 28 oz imbalance with an 11-3/8" bolt circle for the 4R's big ass converter.

Now there is also the FRA-202 which has a shallow indent and that wont work, it pulls the converter to far out of the trans.

They also have a converter with a 50oz imbalance and one with a neutral imbalance if you need one.

Just figured I would share this info since I searched for ever and finally decided to just try them to verify.

Well Bolted the trans on the motor and slipped it all right into the car with no issues to be had.

My New mount may need some adjustment tho...humm..

Ill take some pics tonight and put them up...

But pretty easy so far.

Oh the bolts that bolt the actual transmission mount to the transmission are M12x1.75x25mm... you can go shorter or longer.