StephenC

Help me choose a Transmission

I want to get a 4 or even 5 speed speed automatic transmission in my 69 fastback. I have a C4 in it now and the 3 speed aint cuttin it. I do allot of highway and city driving in it and 4000 on the tach on the highway isn't to pleasant. I know the AOD is what allot of people like but I want to do something a little different any options or suggestions for me?

Dont know of any auto that will be an easy swap and the AOD aint an EASY to do deal, you mess up that TV cable and the tranny can be toast in as little as 5 miles.

Take a look at the GEar Vendors Over drive, Thats what im opting for in the future, it turns your 3 spd C4 into a 6 Speed, and all you ahve to do is get a modified driveshaft....but its not cheep.

Mike

Dont know of any auto that will be an easy swap and the AOD aint an EASY to do deal, you mess up that TV cable and the tranny can be toast in as little as 5 miles.

Take a look at the GEar Vendors Over drive, Thats what im opting for in the future, it turns your 3 spd C4 into a 6 Speed, and all you ahve to do is get a modified driveshaft....but its not cheep.

Mike

LOL nothing is cheap on our cars. But I wanted a manual for awhile and the money that I would put into getting a manual I could of got a nice automatic which for some odd reason I prefer in older cars? Weird?

LOL nothing is cheap on our cars. But I wanted a manual for awhile and the money that I would put into getting a manual ...

Not sure if you are still considering a manual swap, but FWIW, I'm at the tail-end of that project. Looks like total cost will be about $3500 for the T-5z, clutch, and other parts, plus ~$1500 to have a pro do the work. I figure if you are doing the work yourself and can source used parts, you can do it for less than ~$2k (assuming you are still considering a stick)

4R70W With just a little work the Hold a LOT of HP

You can have a High stall if you so desire and lock up in 4th gear for fuel economy and less Cruise RPMS with the verdrive

Also the 4R70W has a LOW first gear so you will be a Hero at the stop light

It will work in a classic car by using the Baumans controller

4R70W With just a little work the Hold a LOT of HP

You can have a High stall if you so desire and lock up in 4th gear for fuel economy and less Cruise RPMS with the verdrive

Also the 4R70W has a LOW first gear so you will be a Hero at the stop light

It will work in a classic car by using the Baumans controller

what is a Baumans controller and were could I get one from? Also is there any specific year the trans should be?

Here you go...and His site has LOTS of TEch Info on Ford transmissions

You can call him He is VEry Helpfull

http://www.becontrols.com/index.htm

Thank you I seriously considering the 4R70W trans now that Ive done a little reading up. My only question is what bell housing and transmission mount do I use on it? And will the drive shaft from my C4 fit and last question is will I have to do any trans tunnel work on it?

The 4R70W came in two belhousings the 5.0/302 and the 4.6

Get the trans for a 5.0/302.

The 4R70W is the same case as the AOD and AODE So you will need to get a AOD Trans mount

Or make one

The belhousing is part of the trans. I really sugest you call Baumens ..he will answer any and all question and knows the trans like the back of his hand

You wont need any more mods to install it than a AOD does

Some guys have even retrofitted the stock C4 floor shifter to work with the cable shift of a 4R70W

I am going to use a B & M shifter I think

If you get a Torque converter from a late 90s F150 it will already be a 2400 RPM stall (on the Cheap)

In stock form I think the trans will take 400lbs of torque

The 4R70w should fit. With no work to the tranny tunnel. I am not sure about the driveshaft though but you will probably need an 4r yoke and the above things mentioned by 1952. Especially someway to control the tranny electronics or use a manual valve body setup. But its been done and there is information floating around in here and elsewhere. And I am sure someone here can cruise you through it. I am considering such a swap down the road but would like to have a sixspeed auto if its possible. But may use one of the 4rs I have got from trades.

I am planning a 4r70w install on my car. This is what I have found. v6 mustangs are by far the cheapest and easiest to find. They have one less clutch disk in the direct drive drum. According to Baumann, the v6 mustang trans are as strong as any AOD with their shift kit. (cost just over $100) the other options are v8 2wd explorer/mountaineer and 4.2 v6 F150 and E150. The truck and van transmission has the same direct clutch as the v8 versions, but you will have to do some work to flip the shift lever. years to look for are 1998-2002. Transmissions prior to 1998 are also good, but not as good. It is rumored that some early 2003 transmissions have the speedometer drive gear, but after that, no speedo drive gear. I also read up on the tccoa forum about the j-mod as an alternative to the shift kit. it is free (besides gaskets from the ford dealer) and allows the transmission to shift faster. The 4r70w has a decent stall from the factory (compared to C4/FMX/AOD) since it has the electric converter lockup from the factory. I have been looking at www.car-part.com for transmissions. And I am seeing many low milage transmissions for pretty cheap, especially if you live in florida $99!!

The driveshaft will have to be shortened about 2". You can use an AOD yoke if you bolt on the AOD tailshaft, or just use the yoke from the donor car. You will also need a new crossmember. They are just now becoming available for purchase from a few sourses, but I plan on just fabricating mine. The exhaust may need to be modified to fit. I think I am looking at about $800-$1000 to do this project using a v6 transmission., with less than 80k miles, j-mod valve body, and the baumann controller.

I have read many posts that say this swap is awesome. Shifts like a caddy at part throttle, and shifts as firm as you want it at WOT!

Hoosierbuddy over on the VMF has done the 4r70w swap. A few helpful posts:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/510123-preachers-hiz-ouse-church-4r70w-lock-up-t-c-info.html

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/429328-would-you-guys-mind-if-i-ran-down-business-model-here-4r70w-stuff.html

You can search by username to find more posts, but I'm sure there are others who have done this swap other than him.

The 4R70W came in two belhousings the 5.0/302 and the 4.6

Get the trans for a 5.0/302.

The 4R70W is the same case as the AOD and AODE So you will need to get a AOD Trans mount

Or make one

The belhousing is part of the trans. I really sugest you call Baumens ..he will answer any and all question and knows the trans like the back of his hand

You wont need any more mods to install it than a AOD does

Some guys have even retrofitted the stock C4 floor shifter to work with the cable shift of a 4R70W

I am going to use a B & M shifter I think

If you get a Torque converter from a late 90s F150 it will already be a 2400 RPM stall (on the Cheap)

In stock form I think the trans will take 400lbs of torque

Is this the right trans mount because I have this one or what looks like this one laying around the garage here somewhere?T5C4.jpg

I am planning a 4r70w install on my car. This is what I have found. v6 mustangs are by far the cheapest and easiest to find. They have one less clutch disk in the direct drive drum. According to Baumann, the v6 mustang trans are as strong as any AOD with their shift kit. (cost just over $100) the other options are v8 2wd explorer/mountaineer and 4.2 v6 F150 and E150. The truck and van transmission has the same direct clutch as the v8 versions, but you will have to do some work to flip the shift lever. years to look for are 1998-2002. Transmissions prior to 1998 are also good, but not as good. It is rumored that some early 2003 transmissions have the speedometer drive gear, but after that, no speedo drive gear. I also read up on the tccoa forum about the j-mod as an alternative to the shift kit. it is free (besides gaskets from the ford dealer) and allows the transmission to shift faster. The 4r70w has a decent stall from the factory (compared to C4/FMX/AOD) since it has the electric converter lockup from the factory. I have been looking at www.car-part.com for transmissions. And I am seeing many low milage transmissions for pretty cheap, especially if you live in florida $99!!

The driveshaft will have to be shortened about 2". You can use an AOD yoke if you bolt on the AOD tailshaft, or just use the yoke from the donor car. You will also need a new crossmember. They are just now becoming available for purchase from a few sourses, but I plan on just fabricating mine. The exhaust may need to be modified to fit. I think I am looking at about $800-$1000 to do this project using a v6 transmission., with less than 80k miles, j-mod valve body, and the baumann controller.

I have read many posts that say this swap is awesome. Shifts like a caddy at part throttle, and shifts as firm as you want it at WOT!

Will the 4.6L bell housing work on a 351? I didnt think so but I could be wrong

Sweet! I think I am going to pick mine up friday! If I could find a builder for $75, I would jump on it. Do you know what is wrong with it? They really don't look all that hard to rebuild, plus you get to add the extra clutch in the direct drum. I think the electonic transmission would be way easier than the old "hydraulic programing" of the aod transmissions.

Sweet! I think I am going to pick mine up friday! If I could find a builder for $75, I would jump on it. Do you know what is wrong with it? They really don't look all that hard to rebuild, plus you get to add the extra clutch in the direct drum. I think the electonic transmission would be way easier than the old "hydraulic programing" of the aod transmissions.

He said that he pulled if because it was slipping in 3rd gear which I'm hoping a simple shift kit or band adjustment will fix but I think either way I'm going to rebuild the whole thing maybe even put in a trans brake if I decide to go that way. No Ive seen some other links were people say its one of the easiest trannys to rebuild but Ill have to see for myself.

I was told the C6 Is amonng the easiest to rebuild, but after taking one of mine apart im wonderng how accurate of a statement that IS LOL lot of parts in there and I am having a hard time telling what needs to be replaced s far as hard parts go....Definatley need a new front pump and all the shims LOL.

The 4R70 sounds like it may be a viable option for me now....What kinda over drive ratio does it have?

Mike