Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

Sport mirror mounting question

Hey, I bought a sport mirror to mount on the passenger side and it came with the mounting kit. The mounting kit has 2 sheet metal screws, 2 machine screws and 2 metal inserts that get inserted in the doors I'm guessing after you drill the required holes. The inserts have a very small lip on one end. So does this lip go inside the door or outside? Does the insert expand or something when you tighten the screws down? There is no way they could hold the mirror on otherwise, but I want to makse sure before I go drilling holes. What are the sheet metal screws for?

Here is the closet pic I could find of the inserts, although those seem to have a larger lip.

http://johnsmustang.com/Catalog/371/

The brass inserts (helicoils) are the best option, you need to find some one with the tool to install these. If the hole is sized correctly, the insert sticks into the hole (flange out and flush to the door skin) and the tool compress's the insert to fit snug in the sheet metal hole that you drilled. The sheet metal screws are last resort, but are weak if the mirrow is bumped hard or vibrations driving down the road. Don't rush these, take your time and do it right, you'll be happy in the long run!

The inserts are not helicoils. The inserts that come with the mirror are sometimes called rivet nuts. You can use a tool like this to install them,

01210.gif

$17 at Harbor Freight

This is what I used to install both the mirrors on my car. The tool installs regular pop rivets and rivet nuts.

Thanks guys! Glad to know I can buy that tool locally at Harbor Freight, sucks I'll probably only use it one time in my life, lol! Is that called just a regular pop rivet gun, or is there a special name since it installs rivet nuts also?