Sign in to follow this  
2whitp21

fmx gearbox too much oil

Hi,

I have a 1969 Ford Mustang with a FMX gearbox. I have accidently put in too much oil and am having trouble getting it into gear now and the oil pressure is way high.

I have tried to use a hand pump to sick the oil out and also by removing the oil pan but this still doesnt let out enough oil to get it to the correct level.

I have been told that there is a bolt on the main box that when undone will drain the oil to the correct level. Does anyone know where this bolt is as there are a lot on the box and I do not want to undo the wrong one.

Any help will be apreciated.

Hi,

I have a 1969 Ford Mustang with a FMX gearbox. I have accidently put in too much oil and am having trouble getting it into gear now and the oil pressure is way high.

I have tried to use a hand pump to sick the oil out and also by removing the oil pan but this still doesnt let out enough oil to get it to the correct level.

I have been told that there is a bolt on the main box that when undone will drain the oil to the correct level. Does anyone know where this bolt is as there are a lot on the box and I do not want to undo the wrong one.

Any help will be apreciated.

Bud if you took the tranny pan off and dumped the trans fluid and you STILL have too much fluid, I think ...Well i will not say what I think.....Try this.

Start the car and let it warm up then check the trans fluid with the car RUNNING if you check it with it not running it will show too much fluid on the stick.

Then let us know what you see, if you stil have too much fluid somehting is up.

didnt know it was possible to ahve too much tranny fluid once you dump the pan....something amiss here,

Mike

Bud if you took the tranny pan off and dumped the trans fluid and you STILL have too much fluid, I think ...Well i will not say what I think.....Try this.

Start the car and let it warm up then check the trans fluid with the car RUNNING if you check it with it not running it will show too much fluid on the stick.

Then let us know what you see, if you stil have too much fluid somehting is up.

didnt know it was possible to ahve too much tranny fluid once you dump the pan....something amiss here,

Mike

Hi guys thank you for your replies.

I took the pan of today and there was quite a lot of oil in it. I emptied that out and bolted it back on.

Unfortunatly when i started the engine the oil pressure went back up again and it would not go into gear. When i checked the oil level on the gear box with the engine on it still showed that there was too much oil in it. About double the way up the stick that it should be.

Any idea how i can get more oil out of the gear box and why i can not get it into drive or any other gear.

This has been driving me mad for a couple of weeks now. Im hoping its just as simple as to much oil in there and there is no more damage. There were no metal bits in the bottom of the pan and it looked ok to me..

any further help apreciated.

Many Thanks

I find it very hard to believe that you can put in so much trans fluid that when you drop the pan on the trans, it will not get rid of not only the excess but you would have to add more when you bolted the pan back on. Weird. You can disconnect one of the transmission lines (i believe the one at the radiator toward the passenger side of the car) start the car and fill up a clear plastic container, or however much you need to get out. I think the fluid will be shooting out of the radiator rather than the disconnected trans line. Or, remove the drive shaft and see how much fluid comes gushing out the back with the slip yoke out. If its way overfilled, it should come gushing out of there.

Do you have a pressure guage hooked to the transmission or do you mean the engine oil pressure gauge is going way up?

Do like Mike said and disconnect one of the tranny lines and start the think....I have never heard of one ahving so much fluid in it it would not go into gear. But that doesnt mean it cannott happen lol.

Mike

We have to be overlooking something very simple...

When you take the transmission pan off, there is nothing to hold fluid in except the torque converter, and it only holds so much.

Are you talking about engine oil or transmission fluid? The oil pressure guage shows you oil pressure, and isn't necessarily to be trusted (it's 40 years old after all!)

Or, are you sure your reading the right dipstick? I don't know you, so I don't know what your technical expertise is, so I have to ask. You're sure your not pulling the engine oil or power steering dipsticks?