Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

What size differential bearing kit do I get?

Only two pinion bearing sizes, Clean the pinion support off good and get the numbers on it, if its a daytona Support you kit will come with one big bearing and one small bearing....if its a standard support which it probably is then you will have 2 small bearings.

There are 2 or 3 sizes of carrier bearings as well I belive....im pretty sure you have the smaller bearings, but you could have a really old carrier with the Large bearings....Pull the carrier out and get one of the races and get the Number off of it and same thing for your pinion bearings, then give this Guy a call ........(641)751-8060........I think I spent 168 bucks on complete rebuild kit that included all the bearings, clutches and steels, ring gear bolts, Shim kit for the pinion support and Clutch Pack, New pinion nut, and 2 Crush sleeves....Both of which i used LOL.....it did everything .....He ships super fast and knows his stuff....Great exp for me considering I went to a shop in town and the guy tried to confuse me and blow smoke up my bung like I was a fool LOL.

This was the first 9" I have built and was very satisfied with teh quality of parts.

Mike

Only two pinion bearing sizes, Clean the pinion support off good and get the numbers on it, if its a daytona Support you kit will come with one big bearing and one small bearing....if its a standard support which it probably is then you will have 2 small bearings.

There are 2 or 3 sizes of carrier bearings as well I belive....im pretty sure you have the smaller bearings, but you could have a really old carrier with the Large bearings....Pull the carrier out and get one of the races and get the Number off of it and same thing for your pinion bearings, then give this Guy a call ........(641)751-8060........I think I spent 168 bucks on complete rebuild kit that included all the bearings, clutches and steels, ring gear bolts, Shim kit for the pinion support and Clutch Pack, New pinion nut, and 2 Crush sleeves....Both of which i used LOL.....it did everything .....He ships super fast and knows his stuff....Great exp for me considering I went to a shop in town and the guy tried to confuse me and blow smoke up my bung like I was a fool LOL.

This was the first 9" I have built and was very satisfied with teh quality of parts.

Mike

Is there a way to tell what carrier bearing I need without pulling it from the rear end. I really want to get this stuff ordered and still drive the car while I wait. Its my daily driver.

No. The center section has to be removed to see what size bearings you have.

Is there a way to tell what carrier bearing I need without pulling it from the rear end. I really want to get this stuff ordered and still drive the car while I wait. Its my daily driver.

No. The center section has to be removed to see what size bearings you have.

Tear it down on a Monday night, then get hte numbers off the races and call the number I left ya, Order On tuesday, and they will have it there by Friday so you can rebuild Friday night into Sat and then be up and running by Monday:)

Why do you need bearings if your just going to swap the gears BTW.

If you wana go ahead and order and arent sure on size and all you wana do is swap gears, just order the standard rebuild kit and tell them you need a kit for the small bearings, which are the 2.81 I believe, then tell them you want to add an additional DAytona pinion support bearing just in case you have a daytona support.....I would be willing to bet you a hundred bucks you have a small bearing unit tho.

What size bolts do you have holding the rear backing plate to the axle? this will tell ya if you have big or small axle bearings and give more insight into carrier bearing, but its not always correct :P

OR just snatch the axles out a lil way, and pull the carrier out and look and see then put it back in. and be on your way....

Mike

Tear it down on a Monday night, then get hte numbers off the races and call the number I left ya, Order On tuesday, and they will have it there by Friday so you can rebuild Friday night into Sat and then be up and running by Monday:)

Why do you need bearings if your just going to swap the gears BTW.

If you wana go ahead and order and arent sure on size and all you wana do is swap gears, just order the standard rebuild kit and tell them you need a kit for the small bearings, which are the 2.81 I believe, then tell them you want to add an additional DAytona pinion support bearing just in case you have a daytona support.....I would be willing to bet you a hundred bucks you have a small bearing unit tho.

What size bolts do you have holding the rear backing plate to the axle? this will tell ya if you have big or small axle bearings and give more insight into carrier bearing, but its not always correct :P

OR just snatch the axles out a lil way, and pull the carrier out and look and see then put it back in. and be on your way....

Mike

Booger, you can pull it down and then go find a parts house in town that has the bearings you need, I got some from Oriley auto once, and autozone has been known to have them too.

So chances are you can get them locally with out ordering.

and You REALLY dont even need bearings if your gona do a gear swap...just press the old ones off the pinion and press them on to new pinion.

Booger, you can pull it down and then go find a parts house in town that has the bearings you need, I got some from Oriley auto once, and autozone has been known to have them too.

So chances are you can get them locally with out ordering.

and You REALLY dont even need bearings if your gona do a gear swap...just press the old ones off the pinion and press them on to new pinion.