Sign in to follow this  
StephenC

Steering wheel play.

My steering wheel has allot of play in it can probably move 2 inches either way (left to right) It also have play say way about 2 inches in the input shaft at the gear box? Do I need a new gearbox or steering column? Its a 69 fastback with M/S

My steering wheel has allot of play in it can probably move 2 inches either way (left to right) It also have play say way about 2 inches in the input shaft at the gear box? Do I need a new gearbox or steering column? Its a 69 fastback with M/S

You can adjust some of the slack out of the gearbox by putting the front end up on jack stands (with the wheels off the ground) and after loosening the nut on the adjusting screw, tightening up the adj. screw (with a screwdriver) on the gearbox. Be sure to lock the nut down after adjusting the screw. Adjust it some and then move the steering wheel fully from side to side. If you adjust it too much the wheel will be difficut to move when you get to the extreme right or left. The gears will wear more just off of center where you do most of your driving and this provides the slop that you are experiencing. You can adjust some of this out. If it is too worn you should replace the box.

You can adjust some of the slack out of the gearbox by putting the front end up on jack stands (with the wheels off the ground) and after loosening the nut on the adjusting screw, tightening up the adj. screw (with a screwdriver) on the gearbox. Be sure to lock the nut down after adjusting the screw. Adjust it some and then move the steering wheel fully from side to side. If you adjust it too much the wheel will be difficut to move when you get to the extreme right or left. The gears will wear more just off of center where you do most of your driving and this provides the slop that you are experiencing. You can adjust some of this out. If it is too worn you should replace the box.

I had the same issue in my car. Although the box did need lube (was bone dry) and a small adjustment, the majority of play came from the actual suspension components themselves. Carefully check the inner/outer tie rods, idler arm, and ball joints.

Mine were all shot! After replacing all the components the steering was remarkably better. I still have about a 1/2" play that comes from the box itself that cant be adjusted out (because it's a tad worn).

Good Luck!

I had the same issue in my car. Although the box did need lube (was bone dry) and a small adjustment, the majority of play came from the actual suspension components themselves. Carefully check the inner/outer tie rods, idler arm, and ball joints.

Mine were all shot! After replacing all the components the steering was remarkably better. I still have about a 1/2" play that comes from the box itself that cant be adjusted out (because it's a tad worn).

Good Luck!

I also had the same issue with my car, and it had power steering. After tighting the steering box, rebuilding the power drive and replacing all the tie rods and associated components, the problem was better but still present. I took it to an old alignment shop in town that specializes in old cars, and they said that is just the way they were built back then. They were built with slop and everyone accepted it. Today's cars are so much better, so you think something is wrong with yours. The truth is, it could be as good as it gets.

I did not feel safe driving it that way, so five years ago I installed a power rack and pinion system, and the problem is completely gone.

So the bottom line is that you either accept it after the suggestions mentioned, or go for the rack and pinion system.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan

I also had the same issue with my car, and it had power steering. After tighting the steering box, rebuilding the power drive and replacing all the tie rods and associated components, the problem was better but still present. I took it to an old alignment shop in town that specializes in old cars, and they said that is just the way they were built back then. They were built with slop and everyone accepted it. Today's cars are so much better, so you think something is wrong with yours. The truth is, it could be as good as it gets.

I did not feel safe driving it that way, so five years ago I installed a power rack and pinion system, and the problem is completely gone.

So the bottom line is that you either accept it after the suggestions mentioned, or go for the rack and pinion system.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan

Stephen, there are those, like the fellows at the shop that Dan went to, that think sloppy is just the best our cars can be, and they replace with rack & pinion. Nonsense. R&P steering wears and gets slop, just like our boxes do. My car, a 69 fastback, steers just fine with no slop. In addition to checking the ball joints and tie rod ends, and the steering box, look at the rag joint- a new one can make a tremendous differance in how the car feels. If your box doesn't improve dramatically with adjustment, get a rebuilt box. You certainly might do just fine with a rebuilt box, and usually for alot less money that a R&P conversion.

Then there is the issue of alignment. The front end alignment is critical in how the car feels driving down the road, and 99 out of 100 shops do not know how our cars should be set up. So many shops, even ones that ought to know better, use the factory specs and tell you 'thats just the way these old cars are' well bulls---. It doesn't have to be that way. Get some poly strutrod bushings, or some harder rubber ones, and have the front aligned to 1/16 th to zero toe in, straight up or 1/2 negative camber, and at least 6 degrees, yeah, six degrees or more positive caster, the 1 & 1/2 to 3 the factory says just isn't enough. I promise you that you will be nothing less than amazed at how the car feels and drives. The differance will feel like difeerance betwwen night and day. LSG

Try the lube and adjust. If this doesn't work, it might need a rebuild.

http://www.stangerssite.com/lubrication.html

http://www.stangerssite.com/adjustment.html

OK I just got around to lubing the steering box. It was about half empty. it seems to turn allot smoother and took out a little play (and a little is being nice) But I'm still not 100% sure on how to go about adjusting it? Any tutorials or anyone have experience doing this who can help me out?

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan

Gotta agree with this. I've had everything replaced or rebuilt and still some slop. Part of it is the nutty P/S system of course. When the car was my daily driver I never noticed it and actually thought it was good after redoing the suspension. However, after turing the car into a garage queen it feels very strange after driving a modern car for so long. You might just be as good as you're going to get, assuming your suspension stuff is good.