Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Apologies to Opentracker

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread going about suspension upgrades and many were talking about the benefits of Roller Spring perches. I chimed in and stated after installing them in my own car (with limited seat time) i was disappointed and didn't notice the huge difference in ride/handling everyone was talking about.

Well, I'd like to recant that statement!

I took the stang on it's first big road trip this Saturday (about 4 hours/200+ miles total), and I'm absolutely thrilled with the way the car drove/suspension handled!

Now don't get me wrong, my 2006 Honda Civic still handles better, and I think that was part of my problem. I expected a 69 Mustang to handle like a newer modern car with roller perches/new suspension, that's never going to happen. But... but for what it is (a 69 Mustang), it's yards ahead of what it was before i made the switch/upgrade.

The car tracked straight, absorbed bumps without steering wobble, and generally felt much more stable at high speed/cornering.

Don't hesitate to give John a call and order a set for yourself!

On a side note... His advice is solid and straightforward, and i definitely think he knows his stuff. But personally I do think my car (possibly all stangs) would benefit from a rear sway bar (John had talked me out of it). The rear feels so lose and prone to roll now that the front is so tight! Guess i'll order one up and test that theory of mine out soon.

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread going about suspension upgrades and many were talking about the benefits of Roller Spring perches. I chimed in and stated after installing them in my own car (with limited seat time) i was disappointed and didn't notice the huge difference in ride/handling everyone was talking about.

I took the stang on it's first big road trip this Saturday (about 4 hours/200+ miles total), and I'm absolutely thrilled with the way the car drove/suspension handled!

Now don't get me wrong, my 2006 Honda Civic still handles better, and I think that was part of my problem. I expected a 69 Mustang to handle like a newer modern car with roller perches/new suspension, that's never going to happen. But... but for what it is (a 69 Mustang), it's yards ahead of what it was before i made the switch/upgrade.

The car tracked straight, absorbed bumps without steering wobble, and generally felt much more stable at high speed/cornering.

On a side note... His advice is solid and straightforward, and i definitely think he knows his stuff. But personally I do think my car (possibly all stangs) would benefit from a rear sway bar (John had talked me out of it). The rear feels so lose and prone to roll now that the front is so tight! Guess i'll order one up and test that theory of mine out soon.

please share your expiriance if you buy a rear sway bar.

out local mustang expert told me, there were better ways to spend money.

that's why i'll probably get an AOD in the future.

If you add a rear bar, ensure it’s a factory type bar and not the bolt on type you can buy from places like Addco.

Years ago I added an Addco rear sway bar for a non-factory application to a 1970 fastback 302-2V. I couldn’t tell any difference in the way it handled. 20 years later I upgraded the front and rear bars on my 1970 Mach 1. My Mach was equipped with a factory .5†rear bar. I was upgrading to a .875†bar. The one they sent me was the kind for a non-factory bolt on kit and not a direct factory replacement. I had taken off the original small factory bar before realizing they had sent me the wrong type bar. I drove my Mach around for about two weeks without any rear bar before I got the replacement factory bar. While it handled the same going straight down the highway, I was surprised at the difference it made on cloverleaf’s and on/off ramps. That small that bar made a big difference compared to none at all. However I’d highly recommend it be installed as a factory type bar and not a “bolt-on†kit.

I upgraded my factory 15/16†front and ½†rear bars to Addco’s 1 1/8 and 7/8’s bars and it handles great on the cloverleafs and on/off ramps. My tires are now my limiting factor in handling.

If you add a rear bar, ensure it’s a factory type bar and not the bolt on type you can buy from places like Addco.

Years ago I added an Addco rear sway bar for a non-factory application to a 1970 fastback 302-2V. I couldn’t tell any difference in the way it handled. 20 years later I upgraded the front and rear bars on my 1970 Mach 1. My Mach was equipped with a factory .5†rear bar. I was upgrading to a .875†bar. The one they sent me was the kind for a non-factory bolt on kit and not a direct factory replacement. I had taken off the original small factory bar before realizing they had sent me the wrong type bar. I drove my Mach around for about two weeks without any rear bar before I got the replacement factory bar. While it handled the same going straight down the highway, I was surprised at the difference it made on cloverleaf’s and on/off ramps. That small that bar made a big difference compared to none at all. However I’d highly recommend it be installed as a factory type bar and not a “bolt-on†kit.

I upgraded my factory 15/16†front and ½†rear bars to Addco’s 1 1/8 and 7/8’s bars and it handles great on the cloverleafs and on/off ramps. My tires are now my limiting factor in handling.

Interesting! What's the difference between a factory rear bar and a bolt in aftermarket one? The mounting points? what causes the bolt in one to be inefective? Some more details would be great!

Thanks!

Interesting! What's the difference between a factory rear bar and a bolt in aftermarket one? The mounting points? what causes the bolt in one to be inefective? Some more details would be great!

Thanks!

Thanks!

I installed one of addco's rear sway bars and I love it. It uses U-bolts so I dont think its a factory replacement. But its a huge improvement. Ive read on some threads that John tells people that a rear sway bar is not necessary. However, when I spoke with him over the phone, he agreed with me and said he also had a rear sway bar on his cars. weird...

I installed one of addco's rear sway bars and I love it. It uses U-bolts so I dont think its a factory replacement. But its a huge improvement. Ive read on some threads that John tells people that a rear sway bar is not necessary. However, when I spoke with him over the phone, he agreed with me and said he also had a rear sway bar on his cars. weird...

I do like a rear sway bar on my cars. Some poeple think they cause snap oversteer though I have not found that to be true. I do think they are an adjusting device that can be added later, after the car is built. I to tell our customers that they should put the car together without one and see how it drives. If they feel the rear end tends to lean a lot, then one can be added.

I honestly feel someone with more seat time can handle a car with a rear sway bar better than someone that hasn't done a lot of performance driving. They do give the car a sharper edge to balance on. They cut down on the body roll and I like that. Though on the street in the rain, it can be a little " driffty " .