Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Have a line on a interesting engine...

I long thought about putting a Modular 4.6L in my '84 Tbird which I have since gotten rid of...

Well, I might be getting a '04 DOHC 4.6, it's the Lincoln motor, all aluminum, COP, the works. ~60k on it.

I always told myself if I stumbled on a good deal on a DOHC motor, I might jump on it...

If I get it, my plans shift a little. Can't decide if I'd want a 4bbl or MegaSquirt EFI.

EFI has some advantages, obviously, but I think an aluminum DOHC 4.6 with a 4bbl on top would be a pretty unique combo...

On the other hand, I've got a friend who's vehemently against carb's (and gasoline in general, he builds electric cars) and said if I promised not to go with a carb, he'd build/wire my MegaSquirt for me...

Decisions decisions... I'm waiting to get the motor any day... I just need permission to pull it out of the car....

I long thought about putting a Modular 4.6L in my '84 Tbird which I have since gotten rid of...

Well, I might be getting a '04 DOHC 4.6, it's the Lincoln motor, all aluminum, COP, the works. ~60k on it.

I always told myself if I stumbled on a good deal on a DOHC motor, I might jump on it...

If I get it, my plans shift a little. Can't decide if I'd want a 4bbl or MegaSquirt EFI.

EFI has some advantages, obviously, but I think an aluminum DOHC 4.6 with a 4bbl on top would be a pretty unique combo...

On the other hand, I've got a friend who's vehemently against carb's (and gasoline in general, he builds electric cars) and said if I promised not to go with a carb, he'd build/wire my MegaSquirt for me...

Decisions decisions... I'm waiting to get the motor any day... I just need permission to pull it out of the car....

Yep, may as well just remove them Hahahah, plus I believe you are going to have to modify the tranny tunnel and a few other things....This is a Major modification from all that I have seen, its not like putting in a Fuel injected 302 from a Fox Body.....Get on Youtube and look up Project Darkhorse those guys stuffed a 4.6 Mod with supercharger into a 70 Mach 1 and man they did soem tweaking.

Mike

Yep, may as well just remove them Hahahah, plus I believe you are going to have to modify the tranny tunnel and a few other things....This is a Major modification from all that I have seen, its not like putting in a Fuel injected 302 from a Fox Body.....Get on Youtube and look up Project Darkhorse those guys stuffed a 4.6 Mod with supercharger into a 70 Mach 1 and man they did soem tweaking.

Mike

Mike

Would you mind if I weigh my all-AL pushrod 351w stroker and post the weight on here? :wink: You could have a powerful, light engine in a much smaller footprint and keep your shock towers. :biggrin:

Would you mind if I weigh my all-AL pushrod 351w stroker and post the weight on here? :wink: You could have a powerful, light engine in a much smaller footprint and keep your shock towers. :biggrin:

Mike

Get ready for some major shock tower modifications.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. I want to get rid of them anyway. I was thinking about a 429/460, and no matter what I go with I want to replace the front suspension with something more modern, so getting rid of the shock towers wouldn't be a big deviation..

the modulars are huge wide....

Tell me about it! I don't know if it'd fit in my F250's engine bay without issue!

Lol, certainly not, but I'm not out for weight savings here. It just happens to be a aluminum block, I'd still do this if it was iron.

Kind of hard to explain what I want from my engine bay. I don't need power or weight savings or even originality. What I want is best described as a *grin*.

I want something that makes me *grin* when someone asks whats under the hood. I want a project that is unique, and all done by me. I also love the modern/classic contrast, like popping the hood of a '69 to find a modern SOHC or DOHC 4.6 motor, COP and all, only to find that it has a 4bbl carb on top.

Kind of like how I'd love to have a pair of 4bbls on my 302 if I kept it, even though I'm not going to be out running it hard or racing. I don't need the power, I just want the "cool" factor...

Mike

Get ready for some major shock tower modifications.

Oh yeah, I'm sure. I want to get rid of them anyway. I was thinking about a 429/460, and no matter what I go with I want to replace the front suspension with something more modern, so getting rid of the shock towers wouldn't be a big deviation..

the modulars are huge wide....

Tell me about it! I don't know if it'd fit in my F250's engine bay without issue!

Lol, certainly not, but I'm not out for weight savings here. It just happens to be a aluminum block, I'd still do this if it was iron.

Kind of hard to explain what I want from my engine bay. I don't need power or weight savings or even originality. What I want is best described as a *grin*.

I want something that makes me *grin* when someone asks whats under the hood. I want a project that is unique, and all done by me. I also love the modern/classic contrast, like popping the hood of a '69 to find a modern SOHC or DOHC 4.6 motor, COP and all, only to find that it has a 4bbl carb on top.

Kind of like how I'd love to have a pair of 4bbls on my 302 if I kept it, even though I'm not going to be out running it hard or racing. I don't need the power, I just want the "cool" factor...

Here is my thought on a grin factor.

The 4.6 is the size of a Boss 429 with 281ci displacement. They also aren't torquey engines in the least. I wouldn't run one with an auto as they need to rev to make reasonable power.

I would consider a wow factor to put a GM LS motor in it. I know I know.....it's a GM, but the LS motors make great power, there is a huge aftermarket, and it will freak the crap out of people when you have a compact 6.0 liter motor cranking out near 500hp under the hood.

I built a megasquirt ECU for a bronco I once had with a 5.0. It was a fun project. Worked well, but I never got it dialed in to run like the factory programming. You should go for the megasquirt II setup. It is a little more money, but will run the EDIS that the mod motor will need. If you feel like you can do another upgrade, step up to a wide band O2!