Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Quarter Panel Install

Ok guys,

We have moved to installing the quarter on the Mach, Got all the holes drilled and everything is in place and quarter is hanging on the car.

I need some opinions on which end to start from.

I read an articel some where that stated once you hange the quarter panel, the first welds need to be in the front when ther door gap is, so I tacked it at the bottom and am beginning to work it on al the way around.

My door gaps and such look nice, But my trunk lid gaps are giving me freking headaches we played with the trunk for 2 hours, it had a decent gap before we removed the quarter but when we reinstalled the quarter now it seems its dicked up....I know I will get it straight, but would apreciate som advice from others who have done this before. Whats the best way to go as far as starting from the front and working the top or bottom welds first? so that you will still have some adjustment when you get to the back....I know a 2x4 and hammer will be in my future but I would prefer not to bend this thing up too bad lol

Mike

i had my quarter on and off what seemed like 20 times. i played around with it trying to figure out the same thing. i used a lot of clamps and sheet metal screws to first figure out how to get it aligned and the order of how i would screw/clamp it down and the order of welding. i wrote notes on my quarter as a plan of attack on how i was going to weld it.

i can't really offer the best way for you to do it since they are probably all different. however, i do recall one of the first welds was the quarter to rear window filler panel. for whatever reason i had to work to get this to pull together.

be cautious with my advice since i only have experience at replacing two quarter panels...

IMG_4214.jpg

LOL your pic looks just like mine, clamps everywhere and that little piece bent forward at the quarter window.

I didnt think about using sheet metal screws....Im having problems with that damn little lip at the quarter window, its barley long enough to touch the sub structure, I can clamp it but it pulls the bottom out...I too have knoticed that the quarter to rear window filler panel has a large gap, but it was kinda large when I cut the old one out, It does not help that the trunk is bowed in the middle and low on one end. I got it lined up then beat the center down with the palm of my hand, amazing how easy it was to level it out hahah.

Well i suppose i can add sheet metal screws to my arsenal of holding devices along with clecos and vice grips HAHAH.

Your car looks amazing, my friend and I were discussing trying to weld rods on to the doors and trunk lid where the gaps are too large.

This damn trunk is nuts one side it perfect and lines up just at the top of the trun opening, and the other side is about 1/2" above the damn tail light holes...really pissing me off and i cant get it to get right.

Mike

my friend and I were discussing trying to weld rods on to the doors and trunk lid where the gaps are too large.

This damn trunk is nuts one side it perfect and lines up just at the top of the trun opening, and the other side is about 1/2" above the damn tail light holes...really pissing me off and i cant get it to get right.

Mike

i had quarters put on my 69 GT350, the big thing is alignment of door, fenders to begin with before you replace quarters, it has been a long time since my autobody days, i farmed it out to my autobdy friend and the quarters fit amazing.

i may do my 66 coupe but not the GT350

ifyou are having to much of a gap, something seems to be out somewhere

Not sure that it matters about door and fender alignment at this point, as long as the door aligns with the Quarter and the gap is correct, and the door closes perfectly, then the fender can be adjusted to do what you need I think.

What say you buckeye, did you have your fenders on when you did your quarter and does it really matter ifthey are on or not?

Mike

i did not have my fenders installed. i installed and aligned the doors before removing the quarters as reference.

i also spent a lot of time fitting the quarter before welding.

however, i'm an electrical engineer, not an experienced bodyman!

yep I lined my new door before removing hte Quarter as well....I fitted a fender a little bit tonight...It doesnt look too bad, but not sure about that repo door...The top adn second body lines look ok when you line them up, but the bottom body line is of some what...Suppose I will have to put ALL the fender bolts in nad play with it, then do the filler rod on the door to make the gaps just right :(

I cannott believe that these cars had super nice gaps on the doors and trunks from the factory, too much deviation in parts.

Mike