Jump to content
BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Recommended Posts

So whats that yellow stuff all over the underside of the car. It looks like you painted it gray but then there is all this yellow stuff. I don't get it? Shouldn't the paint fill in any scars or pits?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Viperpete said:

So whats that yellow stuff all over the underside of the car. It looks like you painted it gray but then there is all this yellow stuff. I don't get it? Shouldn't the paint fill in any scars or pits?

the gray/silver was raw metal after blasting/sanding.

the flat black was two coats of reduced DP90LF Epoxy Primer

the yellow stuff is a lightweight body filler (Rage)

 

epoxy is a sealer so it's about 1 mil per coat.

a typical primer/surfacer is about 1.5 to 2 mil per coat.  there are heavy build primers available.

 

when imperfections are deep (say 20 mils), it can take a lot of coats of primer (which is expensive) to fill those imperfections.   I've seen countless cars at shows where you can see they likely blasted the parts and then painted and they show all of the damage left by the rust and just doesn't look good to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few status updates....

 

engine has been at the shop since mid November.  the pistons were spec'd out and made very quickly which helped.  It looks like it will end up in the 13 to 13.5: 1 range as hoped.   A lot of the machine work on the block and work/balancing on the rotating assembly is finished (need to rework crank snout/modify damper).  he is working on things like clearancing pushrod holes, etc.  I think it's likely to have the engine running in a month or so.

48357253-222469818653940-661609553547440

 

a lot of work to get the undercarriage and trunk into the first coats of primer....

SAM-1647.jpg

SAM-1648.jpg

SAM-1655.jpg

 

started hanging the panels to see how bad things are (not too bad).  The original hood is just to help align the fenders, then I will put on the teardrop.

SAM-1662.jpg

SAM-1663.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, mustangstofear said:

Looks like  you can run a fairly wide tire in the back.

they are 295/55 (28x12.5).  not a huge tire, but given I don't have it jacked up in the back, it's pretty much maxed out for a Falcon considering worst case suspension travel (e.g. full compression on one side) and the fact the housing has about 1/4" clearance to the floor.

…..also a few more engine pics if anyone is interested.....

48395086-560765877698917-334923406026945

49314207-383453715556411-137266982981468

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good was your Dart block out of the box?  Did you purchase through Summit, Jegs, etc. or through a local shop or Dart directly?  The car is look great and is really fun to watch come together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SWPruett said:

How good was your Dart block out of the box?  Did you purchase through Summit, Jegs, etc. or through a local shop or Dart directly?  The car is look great and is really fun to watch come together!

thank you for the comment.

the block seems fine.  you'll need to finish the decks and bores .  I changed to main studs so he honed the mains.  I'm confident that they would have verified those regardless though.  I bought it from summit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

engine is somewhat on hold.  the shop is having Cometic modify their head gasket design for the oil return holes.  but i'm guessing they will turn that in a reasonable timeframe.

but the shortblock is done.

 

also modified and set of the fender emblems and had the valve cover decals made (very easy and cheap process)….

 

51284419-802562060098306-698343960435543

 

SAM_1730.jpg

 

SAM_1732.jpg

 

SAM_1733.jpg

 

SAM_1740.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2018 at 11:02 AM, thegizmo said:

This is my favorite build thread and I often thought Buckeye should somehow self publish this thread as a book.  I'd buy a copy.  Especially with all full blown glossy pictures.  Awesome indexing as well Mach1!  Thanks for that.

I suggested that a year or so ago, but Buckeye expressed no interest in it. Fully understand, as it would be a lot of work and he's working on another project, which btw is also impressive. As stated by another, this build is the best! It's a dang shame some of the pictures are missing from it.   

Well, I stand corrected......I see the pictures are back. I was just looking at this thread the other day and was really bummed to see some of the pics missing. Buckeye, thanks again for posting up your build. I don't think I speak for myself when I say that it is an inspiration to all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Machspeed said:

I suggested that a year or so ago, but Buckeye expressed no interest in it. Fully understand, as it would be a lot of work and he's working on another project, which btw is also impressive. As stated by another, this build is the best! It's a dang shame some of the pictures are missing from it.   

Well, I stand corrected......I see the pictures are back. I was just looking at this thread the other day and was really bummed to see some of the pics missing. Buckeye, thanks again for posting up your build. I don't think I speak for myself when I say that it is an inspiration to all.  

X2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SWPruett said:

How'd she do on corn?

750hp/595ft-lbs

Power was inline with race gas until the point the 850 was just limiting the motor which from memory was down around 6000 rpm.

 

Ran the engine initially on the shops carb with race gas because they knew it worked and didn't want to potentially fight carb unknowns during initial power up/breakin.

 

Tune is really conservative on the e85. Power was above my goal and it wasn't worth the extra tune time to me...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...