BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

So how many years in are you?

spent about 6 months tearing it apart and making poor repairs when i was a young kid (ended up redoing all those fixes). nothing was bagged and tagged. a bucket full of fasteners. i ended up doing some easier projects.

then spent about 12 years thinking about how i wanted this car to be.

finally got the car and a garage at about the beginning of 2008. so it makes about 4 years of insanity.

i was expecting 7 years.

Are you going to apply a sound deadener material to the inner fender wells and doors?

i applied several layers of the spectrum sludge inside the doors already.

sound deadener has already been applied to the rear wheel wells.

the front fender wells will get the sound deadener after the fenders are hung. most of the body color will get covered and the underside of the fender to prevent rocks from dinging the fenders.

Did you try contacting a few people who post stuff for sale in the parts section I would think a set should not be too hard to come by.

my originals are probably as good as it gets when it comes to used splash shields.

thanks though.

did you get your quarters on? fix the concave problem?

Yes I did get the one quarter on and the other patched, both look real nice. Thanks for asking. I have a little more metal work to do where I butt welded the patch. I think Santa is bringing me a high crown Martin hammer for Christmas to handle the concave part. Time is pretty tight for working on the car right at the moment.

I've wanted to start my build thread of my own since I have a few hundred pics already. But more time online = less time on the car!

i finally installed the sail panels. i had been missing the metal inserts for the lights and someone turned me on to the panels that NPD sells that have those metal rings already installed. Turns out they are made by Scott Drake. I had another set i believe sold by ACC that didn't have the rings installed.

there was some mix up with NPD but they corrected the situation by shipping overnight another set.

the Drake sail panels weren't glued all that well around the edges. it was peeled up around 90% of the perimeter. the face seems to be glued just fine though.

i ended up regluing the edges and added some foam (ended up trimming it down a bit).

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_2434.jpg

IMG_2435.jpg

my dad came down for a day after christmas, so i put him to work. he installed some insulation in the back seat area. it probably won't make any noticeable difference, but his labor was free and the materials were cheap.

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2421.jpg

I believe you want to install the sail panels first then the back glass as the sail panels are tucked under the back glass weatherstrip.

Dan it's great you and your dad can work on the car together, I'm sure he loves it!

I think the insulation will help with some noise dampening as well, it all adds up.

After you posted the e-brake picture I realized I hadn't looked at your project thread in a while. I didn't know you were working on the interior. I expect to see your car in a magazine when you are all done. The craftsmanship and attention to detail needs to be appreciated by everyone.

After you posted the e-brake picture I realized I hadn't looked at your project thread in a while. I didn't know you were working on the interior. I expect to see your car in a magazine when you are all done. The craftsmanship and attention to detail needs to be appreciated by everyone.

thanks for the comment! it definitely won't be in a magazine though. lots of flaws.

thanks for the comment! it definitely won't be in a magazine though. lots of flaws.

HA!

Trust me, as a guy who has had many cars featured in magazines... your car IS worthy.

Small flaws don't show in the magazines anyway. It's a common belief a car featured in a magazine has to be flawless. Lets face it though, ALL cars have some sort of flaws. If the car looks great online, it will look even better in print.

Be confident in your build.... WE are!!

Trust me, as a guy who has had many cars featured in magazines... your car IS worthy.

Small flaws don't show in the magazines anyway. It's a common belief a car featured in a magazine has to be flawless. Lets face it though, ALL cars have some sort of flaws. If the car looks great online, it will look even better in print.

thanks for the comment. i appreciate that.

it would just shock me if it was ever offered to be in a magazine given that it will look like every other red mach 1 from the outside.

the funny thing is i don't think it will get much at car shows either. it looks too stock for a modified class and the judges would laugh if it was in a concours class.

Hey, RED is one of the preferred colors for magazine cover cars. I had a red 2000 Cobra R on the cover of Car Craft last year.. and it looks like the other 300 Cobra Rs built that year.

Magazines don't care what class the car fits into. They care about cars which look good, and are interesting to their readers. The cool part about your build they would like... is the fact YOU are doing the entire build. And, it doesn't hurt it's an awesome car.

Hey, RED is one of the preferred colors for magazine cover cars. I had a red 2000 Cobra R on the cover of Car Craft last year.. and it looks like the other 300 Cobra Rs built that year.

Magazines don't care what class the car fits into. They care about cars which look good, and are interesting to their readers. The cool part about your build they would like... is the fact YOU are doing the entire build. And, it doesn't hurt it's an awesome car.

Car Craft also seems to have a thing for cars that don't really like look they ought to be sleepers but in fact really are.....LOL

i've been sick for over a week so i haven't done much. i did sand and hand buff the eyebrows on the quarter extensions, so i was able to finally install them. i need to bump the trunk lid back just a hair.

the car has a slight lean i'm guessing is due to the leaf springs. maybe once i drive it, the rear leafs will settle in. if not, i'll have to try some adjustments.

i wish i had the bumpers done, but i need to wait a few more weeks before sending those out.

the glass should arrive in about four weeks.

IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

Have you had the front end alignment done yet. If your camber is not set yet it will make it sit funny in the back. Also next time you are at a show take a look at the height on the back real close. They almost always are a little higher on the drivers side than the passengers.

Looking Good.

i haven't had an alignment yet. i'm still waiting to get some more weight in the car. i'll keep that in mind. thanks!

the rear passenger side is higher than the driver's side by a little under an inch. the front passenger side is higher than the driver's side by a little over 1/2".

i definitely won't be making any adjustments till everything settles out though.

i always thought the drivers side sat lower due to sagging springs caused by a little more weight from the driver...

actually they usually sit a lower on the passenger side instead of the driver side, mostly due to engine torque constantly twisting the car and thereby loading the suspension on the passenger side

Edited by bnickel

Curious. What kind of glass are you getting and from where? New tempered glass? Carlite? Will it have the logo and date codes?

i ordered the glass from ECS. I don't know who they get the glass from. I'm 100% certain it's not carlite since they wouldn't sell what i wanted.

ECS Automotive

this car didn't have tinted glass originally (i believe all rear glass was green tinted though).

basically i'm getting all clear glass, the rear window will be green tinted and the doors will be bolt in. all glass will get the carlite logos and codes along with my original date codes. i had to send them pics along with what side the logo was on and location.

and the windshield shouldn't have the 70 style mount already installed...

on that note, does anyone have an original windshield they can measure the thickness on? preferably with a measurement tool like a set of calipers. maybe measured in a couple of spots (and let me know where)?

i want to see if it's true that the glass being produced isn't as thick as the originals. the windshield is the only glass i no longer have. i'll post the results when i get them.

The car looks amazing, the patience and attention to detail is staggering and to be applauded. My car seems to have the same lean, like yours everything is new. I'm waiting it out til the spring when I can get some more miles behind me before I make adjustments.

2011-12-13_15-40-14_442.jpg