BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

i finally received the paint a few days ago so i finished cleaning up the lower dash.

it was cleaned with DX520/DX579 cleaner/zinc solution.

IMG_0637.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

since it had a zinc coating, i only sprayed one coat of reduced DP black epoxy on locations with grain and two coats everywhere else. DP black is a semi-gloss to flat finish.

IMG_0640.jpg

then two wet coats of the low gloss dark charcoal black metallic lacquer (32586) were sprayed.

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

i really don't think this color matched the original color. i believe the original color had a little more gloss and almost had a blue tint to it. with all the parts painted this color it won't really matter.

here is a close up of piece of the steering column.

IMG_0649.jpg

close up showing good grain coverage on the dash. i believe there is about 1.5 to 2.0 mils of paint.

IMG_0655.jpg

i've got all the "charcoal metallic" metal parts sprayed, so i can finally assemble the steering column and lower dash.

what are the plans for the engine appearence wise?

the goal is to try and look stock.

the entire motor will be sprayed with the same blue as the shaker. the Victor Jr. intake will remain aluminum but the intake fasteners will also be sprayed blue. i'm not sure about the water neck. i think that will get sprayed blue. i want to use the old black cobra valve covers but i've got some clearance issues with the stud girdles.

i won't paint the damper. the MSD pro billet distributor will get scuffed and the billet sprayed with the Duplicolor cast coat aluminum paint. the MSD coil was detailed to look similar to the old yellow top coils. all of the brackets/pulleys have already been detailed in some version of black, phosphate or natural steel. the headers were ceramic coated in a cast iron type of finish.

the goal is to try and look stock.

the entire motor will be sprayed with the same blue as the shaker. the Victor Jr. intake will remain aluminum but the intake fasteners will also be sprayed blue. i'm not sure about the water neck. i think that will get sprayed blue. i want to use the old black cobra valve covers but i've got some clearance issues with the stud girdles.

i won't paint the damper. the MSD pro billet distributor will get scuffed and the billet sprayed with the Duplicolor cast coat aluminum paint. the MSD coil was detailed to look similar to the old yellow top coils. all of the brackets/pulleys have already been detailed in some version of black, phosphate or natural steel. the headers were ceramic coated in a cast iron type of finish.

have you thought about using some valve cover spacers? several places sell them.

have you thought about using some valve cover spacers? several places sell them.

i've got a set and is my first plan of action. i had played around with the set i have and installed the girdle in an attempt to see how much space i had to deal with. however without the cam installed i was only guessing to where the girdle would end up. it looked as though i could get about half of the spacer height milled away. i'll probably doctor with the baffles a little to try and gain a little more space.

the quality of those spacers is rather poor (at least the set i have is). the didn't look good sitting on the motor but i'm hoping by milling them, painting them blue and trying to hide the one gasket it won't look too bad. if that doesn't work i'll have to decide on another route. i definitely don't want the motorsport valve covers long term.

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

i finally finished the steering column that i had torn down over christmas break. waiting for parts, painting parts in batches and assembly took about a month.

i counted 43 piece parts that i had to clean, paint or plate in this one assembly. The steering wheel is off getting restored and should be complete in a few weeks.

all painted parts were epoxied. the inner steel tube was painted steel. the two solid tubes were painted with another steel paint. the outer tube and two cast pieces were painted with the mentioned dark charcoal gray metallic like the lower dash. the clamp, firewall mount, shaft clamp are all semi gloss black. various fasteners were P&O.

IMG_0479.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

he's a hungry lab, so he guards his food bowl with his life!

heim jointed strut rods. these are not my handy work. i only stripped the coating on some of the fasteners/threads, P&O and epoxy/painted the lower control arm mount and rod.

IMG_0709.jpg

for whatever reason, i feel like i have a hangover today (didn't even booze last night), so i'm pretty much a vegetable today...

i dug up some pics of the car i had when i was 16. my dad paid for that car, i just did the work. when i was 15 he wouldn't let me get a 69 mach, so i settled on a 70 maverick that was partially tore down and looked like a leopard with all of its previous paint jobs.

the mud flaps and exhaust kill me to this day. however, money was tight and i've certainly understood what a budget meant.

it had a 289 and a C4. that was and will be the last automatic i ever own! it was loud. just what a 16 year old would want.

painted it with a single stage enamel, cut and buffed. i sanded thru the blue on a ridge of the hood, thus the creation of the black teardrop...

my dad let me sell it when i had just turned 17 to pay for the mach i have now...

needless to say, i have a thing for mavericks. probably because it was my first car. i would love a grabber or a comet GT. i won't do the thunderbird tail-lights though...

six.jpg

seven.jpg

five-1.jpg

three-2.jpg

my uncle found this falcon for me in tennessee when i was 17. so it became my driver. i basically repainted it during the summer after i graduated before heading off to college. i went to college with $700 in my pocket because the rest of the money i made that summer when into this car.

it was painted bc/cc. I never had a chance to cut and buff. i had painted it one week before heading off to college. i was using lacquer primers back then and didn't get enough DP epoxy (sealer) down the center part of the roof, so the basecoat lifted right up. i had to scramble and repaint the roof. i remember working on this thing about 14 hours a day the last few weeks trying my best to get it done before college. i also learned that trying to drive and paint a car at the same time BLOWS.

it had an incorrect 250 six and a borg warner, close ratio 4 speed. it was that car that convinced me that a stick could make any car feel fun!

i love the falcons, but the sedans just don't have a good roofline....

the owner has been taking it to car shows since i sold it back in 1995.

ten.jpg

i really had to plan things out when painting and using the car as a daily driver. It was one panel at a time and Epoxy was my friend...

nine.jpg

a few days after paint, waiting to respray the roof.

eight.jpg

eleven.jpg

two-1.jpg

and a picture of the mustang when i got it back in 1994. It was last registered in 1983.

one-1.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

Nice! There was a guy in highschool with a Maverick like that black with flames. I had a stang at the time with cherry bombs and side aluminized custom bent side exit pipes like, that I got from a Duster in a junk yard. ...as you say it was LOUD! Ever hit the highway along those concrete construction dividers with the windows down, wow~!

heads are installed. pushrods are ordered. the block was squared. he thought the deck was about .015" out of the hole and the cometic gaskets were .056".

the intake is sitting a bit high and is in the process of cutting it down. i don't expect he will do any port matching on the intake.

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

I have a soft spot for the Mavericks too. I always thought they made neat looking muscle cars with a few touches. One of the fastest street cars in my youth was nitrous'd Maverick with a 351w. And that was before roller cams and aluminum Windsor heads. I saw him take out many built big block cars with that Maverick.

i finished up the heater box assembly.

this thing was a mess. the fiberglass was all warped and there were several cracks and a huge hole in the backside. fortunately these repairs were made in areas not visible. i simply used some fiberglass resin/mesh to repair those areas.

i was able to use a heavy duty heat gun to warp the fiberglass back in to shape so the lid would easily mate up with the main unit.

i used glass beads to blast the fiberglass and metal. i then used two light coats of a urethane clear over the bead blasted metal and fiberglass.

the motor was disassembled, blasted, epoxied, and sprayed semi gloss. the fan was phosphated.

IMG_0688.jpg

this shows the difference between the original and using glass beads.

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

i added a pineable for more decor...

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

I think everyone looking at this thread gets some value out of it, even if it's just to browse and view your work for enjoyment. To take the time and be as meticoluous to detail as you are...AND...take the time to photograph and post your progress helps many...myself included. That goes for many of the build threads. I've picked up a little from each. 20 years ago, most of the information would only be passed on by word of mouth or through car clubs, etc. Many times when I'm searching Google, threads on this site pop up quite a bit. I'm sure there are many outside this forum community that get benefit as well. Keep up the good work!

I think everyone looking at this thread gets some value out of it, even if it's just to browse and view your work for enjoyment. To take the time and be as meticoluous to detail as you are...AND...take the time to photograph and post your progress helps many...myself included. That goes for many of the build threads. I've picked up a little from each. 20 years ago, most of the information would only be passed on by word of mouth or through car clubs, etc. Many times when I'm searching Google, threads on this site pop up quite a bit. I'm sure there are many outside this forum community that get benefit as well. Keep up the good work!

Couldn't have said it better myself. A big thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post these threads and offer so much advice and information. I read these threads and get the insperation and ideas that make me want to go out to my garage and work on the car to keep the little bit of progress going.