BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Back in the old days (1985) we had an old 1973 Vega Super Gas car with a 447 Cu. In. Big Block Chevy engine (0.100" overbore 427) that made roughly the same horsepower, but a little more torque. Made peak power at 7250 RPM.   That car went as quick as 9.41 @ 143 in the quarter mile.   Your Falcon should be a BEAST!!!

Wow, the aluminum on that bike looks better than new. And I'm old enough to remember when those were new. 

The door gaps on the Falcon are TIGHT. Looks amazing, but I assume those doors don't open and close?

On 1/8/2021 at 8:00 PM, Vicfreg said:

Falcon update?

thank you for asking.

sorry, not much to report.  I was a little burnt out after that body work and have been working a lot out of state since october.  

Its in a stage where it's just going to look the same for awhile anyways... the exterior, dash, trunk area are sanded and with a few more hours ready to prime again.

A few other things though.  Steering wheel is finished up and the stainless trim has been reworked (a lot of dents along all those edges and a few gashes).  there is a lot more stainless on this than the mustang!  happy to be done with that process.

also got the dashpad clearanced for around the rollcage.  have the trunk filler panel cut and ready to go.  so that's a complicated process of installing it, putting trim around the hole and getting those small pieces i had to cut to sit back flush when it gets installed for the final time.

i did pick up an old antique tractor (1948, Farmall H) that I've been wanting for a long time.  It's a 20 footer so i'm planning to fully restore that after this falcon (and put too much money into it).  these are a dime a dozen.  It runs really well.  I only did a few things to that (found an original seat assembly, paper belt pulley,  alternator/12v mod, pulled the pan/valve cover, etc).

IMG-20201124-175524177.jpg

IMG-20210101-082905735.jpg

IMG-20210103-164125366-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210103-164144831.jpg

IMG-20210103-173540050-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210115-155457286-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210115-155506283-HDR.jpg

note: the painted tray and small pieces are just sitting in there.  final install will get the small trim pieces around the tubes i made and a method to secure those cutout pieces flat.

IMG-20210116-121713612.jpg

IMG-20210117-102841065.jpg

IMG-20210117-102900665.jpg

IMG-20210117-102929807-HDR.jpg

IMG-20210117-103000923-HDR.jpg

IMG-20201022-175017356-HDR.jpg

IMG-20201108-120935826-HDR.jpg

IMG-20201108-120946357-HDR.jpg

54 minutes ago, Klutch said:

Thanks for the update. Are you saying the Falcons are a dime a dozen or the tractors are a dime a dozen?

That tractor looks pretty spiffy as it is. 

the old farmall tractors.  i spent more on rocker arms than i did this old tractor (and the tires themselves can come close to that in itself).  

46 minutes ago, RPM said:

A bit of envy going on here. Outstanding work, especially on the stainless. I'll need your address to send a box full of stainless trim :)

i'll pass!  wouldn't want to take away from the pleasure you could have! pushing on those dents, sanding for what seemed like hours.....

Buckeye, the Falcon is looking good. I have a couple questions, where did you get the teardrop hood for the Falcon, & is it fiberglass?, The rear package tray by the rear window is that a stock one you cut to fit around the roll bar or did you make it, if you made it what material did you use?. 

15 minutes ago, Mike65 said:

Buckeye, the Falcon is looking good. I have a couple questions, where did you get the teardrop hood for the Falcon, & is it fiberglass?, The rear package tray by the rear window is that a stock one you cut to fit around the roll bar or did you make it, if you made it what material did you use?. 

the hood was from Crites and it needed work to make it fit (even though many people say they fit great and you can actually see the same problems when they post pictures....).

the rear package tray was simply a new, replacement for a falcon which i then cut the speaker holes and holes/slots for the rollbar. 

one side has the pattern in it.  the opposite side was smooth (many people seem to use the opposite side instead, but i think pattern looks a lot better and probably doesn't lead to reflections in the window). 

i think the material is maybe referred to as fiberboard? 

i gave it a very light sand (not wanting to take away the pattern), then applied paint.  it had a very rough feel after paint (i think it was the fibrous material wanting to stand up, similar to what wood will do).  then gave it a very light scuff with 600 to knock off that gritty feel and then two more coats.  it now feels like it wouldn't leave material behind if i took a microfiber towel on it.