BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Are you planning to use the Falcon for serious drag racing while driving the Mach 1 as a street car? Or, maybe the Mach 1 will see open track/road racing? 

I don't understand why the Falcons don't have a stronger following. They're very cool cars and share a lot of components with the Mustang. I suppose the good side is you can still pick up Falcons pretty cheap compared to Mustangs. 

The early mustang were built on falcon chassis. By some they are considered the poor mans falcon. The market niche was geared towards the younger generation as a cheap car. The generation know as the Baby Boomers.  The cougar is also basically the same car with a different outer shell.

Are you planning to use the Falcon for serious drag racing while driving the Mach 1 as a street car? Or, maybe the Mach 1 will see open track/road racing?

Plan for mustang will continue once falcon complete, just slight less use. I'll continue with around 1000 to 1500 miles per year (have been doing 1500 to 2500 per year) and 1 to 2 trips to drags per year( has been ranging 3 to 6 per year) and trips up to 100 miles. The falcon will range around 500 to 1000 miles per year and 5+ trips to drags per year. The falcon won't handle the curves anywhere near what the mustang does and the max trip distance will be less and on the order of 50 to 70 miles due primarily to the E85 fuel usage.

Hey there, are you going to post more updates? I really like these kind of threads and I really want more people to update as often as they can. Of course, no pressure, I'm just really into progress threads. Looks like you've put in a great amount of work on your project!

not much happening here.  I've been playing around with the carb on the mustang.  trying to prove to myself i can tune a carb (i ordered an 1100 CFM dominator for the falcon and wanted to make sure i gained some knowledge on this car which is pretty tame) and in addition see if any improvements could be made.

i changed out the hardline for PTFE hose that has allowed me to make tuning changes in just a few minutes (it took 7 minutes to make a jet and PVCR change after the mod).  I also tapped all of the idle and T-slot feeds at once in the event i needed to add a restrictor. 

IMG_20170408_091247095.jpg

IMG_20170416_094600051.jpg

IMG_20170416_095343827.jpg

I've also been working on the exhaust for the falcon.  I'm about ready to tear the car down and take it to the shop for a full chromo cage.

I couldn't make an x-pipe work, so it will be a small flex H.  These are 3.5" 304SS pipes.  Material is from Stainless Works.  I have not been impressed with the bends or the tubing.  I had used SPD for the header tubing and it was a lot better.  I don't know if the mandrel bends in 3.5" tubing from SPD would have been better or not.

I made the tubes exit at slight turndowns.  I really don't want to see this exhaust from the outside. 

IMG_20170317_154123702.jpg

IMG_20170317_154236338.jpg

IMG_20170429_094325393.jpg

IMG_20170429_094344719.jpg

IMG_20170422_140516017.jpg

here is just a little item of possible interest to some.  i've been paying close attention to my current set of plugs and thought it would be interesting to cut open some of the old ones i had saved.  (i can't really see deep down into the plugs).   i just put them in the drill press, run it and use my cutoff disk to cut the thread/ground strap section off.  only takes about 20 seconds.

i don't know really what state those old plugs had been exposed to just before pulling them (e.g. had it been sitting and idling, was it just after a long cruise, was it the dragstrip or shortly after a WOT pull, etc).  i can say the orangish tint one was after a trip to the dragstrip where i had added some leaded fuel.  but that's not the point.

i typically run the 3924's and had tried the different heat range with the 3923's for a short term. what i noticed was there is a difference in the length on the ceramic of the 3923's.  the tip where the wire connects to was also different color.  i don't know if autolite went through some sort of revision on the 3923's at some point or are there different sources of autolite's? 

IMG_20170522_182315528.jpg

45 minutes ago, DocWok said:

Hey Buckeye,

What happened to all your photo's, unable to see them?

They were a good reference resource.

Photobuckets been hacked or if the email is real, then they want $300 per year.  I won't pay, so all is likely lost....

2 hours ago, unilec said:

Wow your car looks awesome even without paint, interested to see the dash, which looks almost identical to the 65 mustang.

thank you.

the dash is similar, but the dash trim on a 65 futura (when chromed and detailed properly) looks much nicer as compared to a 65 mustang.

On 6/30/2017 at 1:39 PM, DocWok said:

Hey Buckeye,

What happened to all your photo's, unable to see them?

They were a good reference resource.

If you use Firefox to browse, this add on fixes photobuckey's extortion scheme... https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-embedded-fix/?src=api