BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

I see above you have reinforced the shock towers like the big block and Boss 302 Mustangs. Is there a place in your build thread which talks about doing this? (If so, I did not see it.)

I was thinking about adding these reinforcements to my '70 Mach 1. The kits I've seen online seem a bit pricey. I'd be interested to know how you did it.

Thanks in advance.

I had some tube (or possibly box) and plate that was similar in thickness. Then just cut some pieces to the shape and welded them to the car.

On a side note, there have been at least three cases (and who knows how many people just haven't said something to me) where people at shows have bitched about my car having the reinforcements telling me that it's not correct for my car/engine combination.

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3427.jpg

IMG_3626.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg~original

Great pictures, thanks.

Wow, I guess people don't grasp the concept of a restomod. Fun fact, a friend of mine has a '70 M-Code with one shock tower reinforced, and the other shock tower not reinforced. It came that way from the factory and was simply an assembly line error. Yeah, he has to do a lot of explaining at shows.

Do you think this mod is a good idea for a street car with occasional autocross and drag fun runs?

Edited by Klutch

Do you think this mod is a good idea for a street car with occasional autocross and drag fun runs?

I knew shock towers were an issue, so I wanted to be able to weld the one piece to the rest of the tower, adding this bracket (similar to factory) was my method of welding that seam and still have it look like something the factory did. I figured it can't hurt.

I made these brackets for the backside as well. Although you can't really see those.

Congrats on the Falcon and on the curmudgeons that like to bitch about things they don't like

- They usually don't have nice cars or they couldn't do the work themselves if they did

- You can always tell them you have Big Block horsepower

Another favorite of mine. Hope you provide a build thread here.

+1

If you decide to have a build thread on a different forum that's more specific to that car, please share the link with us!

What are your plans for it?

i'm about 90% sure i have an overall general plan.  Fully detailed but without the heavy constraint of trying to make it look pretty close to stock.

stock looking exterior (except rim/tires and probably a teardrop hood).

stock looking interior but with at least a 6pt and some gauge modifications.

stretch the rear wheel wells 1.5 to 3".

mini tub about 2" per side/narrowed rear (probably relocate rear frame rails.)

15x4 up front/15x8 in the back.

28x9 tire or 275/60 in the back.

engine compartment will be heavily modified

cutting out shock towers in favor of a rod and custom coil over front end

Dart based big bore Windsor.  probably a 445ci w/possibly a TFS 240cc High Port. Pump gas. 550 to 600 at the crank (probably RPM limited by the hydraulic cam).

it will be a stick car.  probably a t56.

NHRA 10.00 legal with enough nitrous to get it there.

That was very common to see in these cars back in the 70's & 80's before company's started repoing floor pan pieces, people would use old street signs to repair the floor rot holes, mostly just pop riveted over the rot not even cutting out the rotted metal or welding the sign in.

Very cool, I've always liked the 65 style. Hey that sign is probably some good aluminum. Many are made from 5052-H38 which has excellent weldability and is cold hardened. Nice score.

I had started a build thread on a falcon forum, but after one post I received a PM.  Nevertheless, it's not going to work out on that forum.

My girlfriend did volunteer to help out a little.  She striped out the lead from the seams on the drivers side along with media blasting some of the car (she did about 300 lbs of media this morning).  She did a good job.

SAM_0069.jpg

downsize.jpg

Hot Damn ! That girl is a keeper! Hard to find the ladies that like to work on cars ,they usually say somthing like "Why don't you get rid of that junker "? Thats my kinda gall.

Damn straight.

I can't get any help around here, I must have crappy friends.  Can't even bribe them with beer and smoked brisket.  I think they are afraid of getting grease under their nails or something.  If my wife keeps the kids distracted so I can work on the car she's doing her part though. 

Was the car dipped at some point?  Looking at the trim holes on the rear quarter.

Damn straight.

I can't get any help around here, I must have crappy friends.  Can't even bribe them with beer and smoked brisket.  I think they are afraid of getting grease under their nails or something.  If my wife keeps the kids distracted so I can work on the car she's doing her part though. 

Was the car dipped at some point?  Looking at the trim holes on the rear quarter.

Your not kidding ,My friends  don't like to help but have no problem aking me to help them .Ah doesn't mater ,i like to help any way.

she said no twin sister....

she's been very good and never said anything about me going to shows, drags, staying out late in the garage, etc

Valentine's day is coming.  Don't blow it.

:)