BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Any feedback on the quality of the stripe kit that you used and where you sourced it from? Thanks in advance.

the box is labeled SK-124 (black and gold) sourced from Decal Magic Edinburg, Virginia. I bought them from NPD under part number 20000-6A. It has the special sticker indicating Official Ford Licensed Product.

I thought they were fine with the exception that the gold stripe located in the middle of the strip was pretty crooked on at least one of the pieces. I have some stripes from when I peeled them off the car when striping it down but haven't compared them. However that piece from the car was on top of another set of stripes. So I don't even know if that was an original ford supplied stripe or not.

i had found a space saver at my grandparents house when i was a kid. It technically isn't correct for a 69, but will serve the purpose here.

It actually inflated (didn't hold air all that well).

If you've never seen one inflated, then here you go. I'm pretty sure I had considerably more than 35 psi in this thing though.

IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4844.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

Better than show room new. It looks beautiful, Congrats on an excellent job!

I don't know how your feeling, but when I got my car back from paint and finally put it all back together, at the end I found my self lost. My everyday was occupied on what next to do on it. Now I find myself with a void. It's a weird feeling if you know what I mean.

Now I''m at the improvement stage, something you already did along your journey.

I don't know how your feeling, but when I got my car back from paint and finally put it all back together, at the end I found my self lost. My everyday was occupied on what next to do on it. Now I find myself with a void. It's a weird feeling if you know what I mean.

Now I''m at the improvement stage, something you already did along your journey.

yes, same feeling. although i'm not quite done. have to keep myself busy with something. working on making a fire extinguisher mounting bracket now...

extinguisher is mounted. of course it's not something i want to put in the car. i had been thinking about it for awhile and the front passenger seat seemed to be the quickest to access.

i basically used a piece of 3/16" steel and sandwiched it between the seat frame and seat tracks. so the seat does still move forward and reverse. the latch handle when moved limited how close i could put it to the seat. i bolted the one piece so i could remove the forward bracket a little easier.

IMG_4848.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4859.jpg

Buckeye- I like the stance of your car. I'm trying to judge mine on how much distance I need from tire to wheel lip. What is the distance on your front and rear?

I just bought a set of 225/70/15 & 275/60/15's. Even thought the tire height 27.4 & 28"s are close to even. When I look at the tires the front tire side wall looks too tall. It may be an illusion, but I'm not happy with it. I might drop down to a 225/60/15 even though it's 25.6"

What's your thoughts on that?

Thank you!

Thank you, but I was looking for distance from the top of the tire to the fender, front and back.

He gave you the height of the fenders ( I believe) , Two pages back are the listing for his tire size (see below) Just subtract the tire height from the fender height and you should have what you're looking for.

The 215/65R15 diameter measures 25.675". It was spec'd at 26.1".

The 245/60R15 diameter measures 26.0". It was spec'd at 26.6".

Edited by FordRacing

Thank you, but I was looking for distance from the top of the tire to the fender, front and back.

i tried to put a thin block of wood on the top side of the tire as a straight edge, but it's not really flat. the best i could measure was the tire height from the floor to the top and is about 24.75" in the front and 25.5" in the back. subtracting out that tire height from the previously mentioned wheel well height gives about 1.38" in the front and 1.69" in the back. I'm using about 32 psi of air.

Edited by BuckeyeDemon

finally got the hood molding worked out (after many painful attempts).

it's not easy to find a unrestored/useable original, NOS, or restored original. what people advertise and what it really is can be two completely different things.

i got this on ebay last week advertised as simply an unrestored original for a 69/70 (took the risk that it may have been actually for a 70) and was certain it would be a piece of junk. But it turned out really good for an untouched original (and it turned out to be a 69). just a few dents and of course scratched up. but it was very workable in just a few hours this morning.

i drove the car to work yesterday. that molding makes a big difference.

WP_20140222_007.jpg

IMG_4934.jpg

IMG_4936.jpg

Wow, you got lucky on that hood lip trim. Good for you!!! What's up with the missing chrome trim around the head lights? Also, what did you do for your hood pins, plates and cables? I'm having a hard time finding an accurate OEM repop?

Wow, you got lucky on that hood lip trim. Good for you!!! What's up with the missing chrome trim around the head lights? Also, what did you do for your hood pins, plates and cables? I'm having a hard time finding an accurate OEM repop?

i purchased three repop hood moldings. the first corvex piece wasn't bad. it had good forms on the backside. the only real issue was the overall shape.

the second repop was a dynacorn and was horrible. it had horrible forms and the overall shape was wrong too.

the third repop was from scott drake. they simply resell the corvex piece. however, this corvex piece was worse than the dynacorn.

i paid $450 plus shipping for one that was claimed to be a restored original that would look and fit like an original from Anghel Restorations. It turned out to be absolutely horrible. Comparable to the first Corvex repop that was $30. I returned that part, but still lost about $70 in shipping costs to and from along with Paypal fees. I hope that part doesn't get resold to someone else.

i haven't aligned the headlamps, so i haven't installed those rings.

i used the following for the hoodpins/cables:

NPD# 16700-1A (hood pin kit)

NPD# 16700-1B (small crimp lanyards)

My apologies, Buckeye. I thought that molding was your first stab at it....sheez! Sad thing a simple part like that can't be reproduce with accuracy and quality. Thanks for the info on the hood pins.

Hey, If I may bother you further, I noted in one of your older posts a comparison between a repop shaker hood trim ring and an actual OEM trim ring. I have a repop from CJ Pony that came with my hood when I ordered it. The hood is great, but the trim ring sucks. Did you look into other repop trim rings prior to repairing your OEM part? I'm wondering if the trim ring goes the same way as the hood lip molding.