BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Buckeye, that is one cherry ride! You have done an outstanding job. Be proud young man.

Bob

Agreed!

Buckeye: Hope you are going to have a big party when you put the last piece back on. Most of us only dream of having that day come, you're just about there, ENJOY it.

I see you have yet to install the Hood Chrome Molding. I'm very curious on how yours comes out, thats if you used an aftermarket one. I went through 4 pieces. It seems that they all knink in the center and the retaining screws fall out when the nuts are tighten up.

I'm still not happy with mine. I did grind down a few metal washers and slid them over the screws and behind the track to keep the screws popping out.

I think a few of us here had the same problem. Please post how yours went on and if you came up with a better solution Thanks!

Buckeye- I had another question. If your doing the Mach 1 theme, are you going to install the chrome wheel well moldings?

I won't be installing them. I don't think mach 1's came with this molding (thought it was a dealer installed option for any model???).

this car is a real mach 1, btw. ...and according to someone on VMF, scarce (i.e. extremely rare) due to the candyapple red...:confused:

I wouldn't believe half of what you read on VMF. Candyapple red was one one of Ford's most popular colors, they put it on everything.

believe me, i don't (or any forum). i put out some numbers illustrating a little under 20% and asked for their source of data only to get silence...

i drove it to work on Monday. it was pretty cold at about 32 degrees. the first time i've ever locked the doors and i managed to lock myself out. fortunately i had the trunk key separate in my pocket (keep the keys separate so i don't scratch anything) and had to crawl through the trunk. luckily i'm thin, so it wasn't difficult.

applied the stripes yesterday. first time i've ever done this. so there are probably better ways.

after washing with soap/water and doing several applications of wax/grease removal/wipe off residue, i applied a reference tape line.

IMG_4780.jpg

i used a product called Slide On Application Gel that i picked up from NPD. i would apply a pretty thick coat to the car. then lay on the decal. i would then spray that with water mixed with a little soap. then used my hand and a squeegee to start working the decal in position to the reference line and also work out the gel and air.

IMG_4781.jpg

i would then remove the top holding paper.

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4804.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

hope you are having a good holidays...

Noticed the hood lip is missing, but then it appears there's not much out there now in regards to quality reports. What will you do for that?

i bought a repop (corvex?) and it sucked. searched out for a dynacorn and it was even worse. i'm considering cutting the tip to let it flex then welding. given they are so cheap, its probably worth a shot. i certainly won't install it until i'm really confident it won't chew up the paint.

One would think the hood lip molding would be very easy to reproduce. I envision a machine not unlike the machine that is used for form seamless gutters spitting these out like toothpicks, a couple of notches and a bend in the center... But thre i go thinking again.

Buckeye that ride looks so Sweet! Congratulations! Are you finished now?

I notice every once in a great while a used hood trim oem on fleabay. Not cheap but maybe worth it to keep an eye out. If I run across one I will yell.

Sweet ride -u have to be pumped!

i bought a repop (corvex?) and it sucked. searched out for a dynacorn and it was even worse. i'm considering cutting the tip to let it flex then welding. given they are so cheap, its probably worth a shot. i certainly won't install it until i'm really confident it won't chew up the paint.

If there's one thing I know about you, it's perfection. I figured you had something going on with that hood trim piece and was curious as to what you had in the works. It is an absolute shame we can't get a quality re-pop for that piece. Again, the car looks awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your work.

what tire and rim sizes did you settle on?

thank you. i think this is what you're looking for:

now have the wheels and tires. finding a shop to balance them proved to be a major chore.

seems that many of the complaints about these wheels are probably due to the method of balancing. i probably called about 20 shops in the area and almost all of them told me i was nuts.

seems strange given the number of lug centric rims being built.

i found some references to the Hunter Engineering balancer that uses the lugs. they have an equipment locator.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

of course the two kids at the shop had never used the above balancer so i had to wait for the manager to operate the road force balancer the next day. when i picked them up, the kids were able to show me how it mounted to the rims.

he said they balanced pretty well, so hopefully that does the job correctly.

i went with 215/65R15 on the front and 245/60R15 for the rears.

Rims are from Specialty Wheel.

front rims are 15X7 with the standard 4.25" backspace.

rear rims are 15X8 with a non-standard 5.00" backspace.

I don't think they really charged any more for the non-standard backspace. the order was quick. it took a little over a week from order to when they were at my door.

Specialty claims there tolerances are half of Wheel Vintiques.

the chrome work looks thin too me, but it seems most chrome is these days.

i'm a little concerned about clearance in the back. i won't know until the car is reassembled.

some interesting points (to me anyways) about the tires.

The 215/65R15 diameter measures 25.675". It was spec'd at 26.1".

The 245/60R15 diameter measures 26.0". It was spec'd at 26.6".

It seems the tires diameter are about ~0.5" smaller than spec.

Unmounted, i measured the natural bead width to b 6" and 7" for the tires.

Also, the section width grew quite a bit once mounted (3/8" and 5/8") for the two tires.

the 215 is on the left, 245 on the right.

IMG_1379.jpg