BuckeyeDemon

69 mach 408w build

Buckeye you may not have won an award there but you have won it all with us .Your car is a work of art and most peoples idea of restoring a car is take it somewhere but there is no more satisfaction then to know you did it yourself.We have seen your unbelievable craftsmanship and attention to detail you can truly be proud.When so many people building similar cars put yours so high on a pedestal it should let you know how truly nice your car is.

Buckeye you may not have won an award there but you have won it all with us .Your car is a work of art and most peoples idea of restoring a car is take it somewhere but there is no more satisfaction then to know you did it yourself.We have seen your unbelievable craftsmanship and attention to detail you can truly be proud.When so many people building similar cars put yours so high on a pedestal it should let you know how truly nice your car is.

Very well said!!! I couldn't agree more!

I have also learned a lot from you Buckeye. I am welding one patch at a time on my Scode 69 Mach1. If I look at the whole project it would be easy to get overwhelmed. You showed me to break it up into lots of little projects.

Edited by craig429

thanks for the positive replies. i would like to see more of our 69/70's at car shows as i don't see many of them around...

jwscarab, i'll probably pop down to the pumpkin run. a couple of people want me to take it down there, but there is just too many people, too dirty and the cars are too close. perhaps i'll see you there though.

I went to the International Mustang Meet that was in Bozeman Mt over Labor Day weekend. It was one of the best shows I have been to. It had over 10 Boss 429s. Lots of 69/70 Boss 302s. Many 69 and 70 Mach1s. About half the Mustangs were vintage and there were over 600 Mustangs there. By the time I got done looking at the vintage Mustangs, there wasn't much time to look at the modern ones.

I went to the International Mustang Meet that was in Bozeman Mt over Labor Day weekend. It was one of the best shows I have been to. It had over 10 Boss 429s. Lots of 69/70 Boss 302s. Many 69 and 70 Mach1s. About half the Mustangs were vintage and there were over 600 Mustangs there. By the time I got done looking at the vintage Mustangs, there wasn't much time to look at the modern ones.

nice! it's probably been 7 years or so since i've been to an event like that. i think it was the boss reunion at carlisle PA several years ago.

it appeared most had no idea what they were looking at which surprised me. the old cars are certainly diminishing at all shows i go to as well. are they all hiding in garages or are the numbers of enthusiasts really reducing?

I think most people are considering their classic cars as investments they must protect. So, they don't drive them or take them to shows lest they not fetch top dollar at the auction.

A friend of mine bought a brand new 2011 GT500. He used to drive it all the time and really enjoyed it. Then all the guys on the Shelby forums were calling him crazy for putting miles on his "investment". Now he never drives the car. It's a shame. Tomorrow is not guaranteed. We must enjoy our days, as well as our cars, while we can.

I must be lucky, most car shows I attend in central IL have tons of 69/70 cars. In fact there are 3 Boss 302s, 4 Boss 429s, a few R-codes, and a few 69/70 Shelbys in my area.

I've also found that certain car shows are geared towards different cars. Some tend to attract the new car crowd, while others attract more hot rods and classics....depending on how they are advertised and the name of the car show. Most areas have a local Mustang Club, you might look into that or ask around at car shows that you end up going to. The MCA sponsored events tend to draw more Mustangs to them, so look up their website for show info and local club info as well.

Buckeye- Ditto etc....

You should be very proud of your accomplishment. I'm still amazed on how you did such fine job fabricating even the smallest detail, I'm sure the Engineers back in 1969 would say you built a better Mustang. After seeing your video, I wanted to comment right away, but everytime I went to write something, someone else said it in a better way. I'm still trying to fine that specail word but I can't find it. I'm sure you and all the other members know what I'm trying to say. I'm sure glad that you gave us the opportunity to see your build from begining to end. Going back on some of your pages has helped me countless times. Thank you!

a friend let me borrow his GoPro camera, so I strapped it to my head and took the car for a short drive. hope you have good speakers.

it really is pretty quiet during normal cruise. standing behind the car at idle is a different story.

Boy that motor turns up quick, much quicker than mine. It might be just the tires breaking loose lol. It sounds great, enjoy the payoff!

a friend let me borrow his GoPro camera, so I strapped it to my head and took the car for a short drive. hope you have good speakers.

it really is pretty quiet during normal cruise. standing behind the car at idle is a different story.

Sounds great, perfect combination with the Borla mufflers. :)

now have the wheels and tires. finding a shop to balance them proved to be a major chore.

seems that many of the complaints about these wheels are probably due to the method of balancing. i probably called about 20 shops in the area and almost all of them told me i was nuts.

seems strange given the number of lug centric rims being built.

i found some references to the Hunter Engineering balancer that uses the lugs. they have an equipment locator.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

of course the two kids at the shop had never used the above balancer so i had to wait for the manager to operate the road force balancer the next day. when i picked them up, the kids were able to show me how it mounted to the rims.

he said they balanced pretty well, so hopefully that does the job correctly.

i went with 215/65R15 on the front and 245/60R15 for the rears.

Rims are from Specialty Wheel.

front rims are 15X7 with the standard 4.25" backspace.

rear rims are 15X8 with a non-standard 5.00" backspace.

I don't think they really charged any more for the non-standard backspace. the order was quick. it took a little over a week from order to when they were at my door.

Specialty claims there tolerances are half of Wheel Vintiques.

the chrome work looks thin too me, but it seems most chrome is these days.

i'm a little concerned about clearance in the back. i won't know until the car is reassembled.

some interesting points (to me anyways) about the tires.

The 215/65R15 diameter measures 25.675". It was spec'd at 26.1".

The 245/60R15 diameter measures 26.0". It was spec'd at 26.6".

It seems the tires diameter are about ~0.5" smaller than spec.

Unmounted, i measured the natural bead width to b 6" and 7" for the tires.

Also, the section width grew quite a bit once mounted (3/8" and 5/8") for the two tires.

the 215 is on the left, 245 on the right.

IMG_1379.jpg

I would go with the same setup again, if going with the BFG T/A's.

However, I will be switching the rears to 15X7 magnums and putting F60-15 polyglass all around. My friend originally talked me out of them and I still want those. Just no money at the moment.

After the tires were installed, how did you feel about the rear back space, too much/ too little? What do you think about a BFG T/A 275/60 on a 15x8 4.5bs or 5bs?

Do you want to sell the 15x8 5"bs wheels? if so, drop me a PM.

Buckeye, Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

After the tires were installed, how did you feel about the rear back space, too much/ too little?

good. could have potentially increased maybe 1/4" I still have the tab sticking out on the rebound bumper.

What do you think about a BFG T/A 275/60 on a 15x8 4.5bs or 5bs?

Buckeye, Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

I don't personally like the 275/60's. They look like balloons to me.

However, a lot of people like them and could offer a better recommendation than me on the backspace for a 275.

I'm not going to sell them. I'm not sure what I'll do with them. Maybe a drag radial or something.

Thanks.

The blackout area on the hood looks great. Did you post about what kind of paint you used for the hood? (Sorry if I missed it, but it's a big thread.)

I see a lot of people clear coat over the blackout areas on Mach 1 Mustangs. I can understand why they do it. It's easier to paint and keep clean. But it sure looks better when it's a satin or semi flat!

The blackout area on the hood looks great. Did you post about what kind of paint you used for the hood?

it's a flattened single stage urethane

32 parts DCC9000 (Black)

40 parts DX685 (Flattener)

8 parts DCX61 (Hardener)

4 parts Reducer