Sign in to follow this  
69RavenConv

Speaker options & opinions

I recently picked up an AM/FM stereo radio to replace my Philco AM. Now I need speakers. I have a vert, so my options are door, kick panel, or dash. I'm leaning toward dash but was wondering if anybody here know anything about them.

I have some OEM door speaker grilles but don't want to cut my new doors.

I've considered the kick panels (was my 1st choice) but my restored kicks look good and I don't want to get water on my speakers anyway.

Now I'm looking at the dual cone speakers that go under the dash replacing the original AM speaker (Custom Autosound).

Anybody using them? Price seems good and I keep the stock appearance, which is important to me.

I recently picked up an AM/FM stereo radio to replace my Philco AM. Now I need speakers. I have a vert, so my options are door, kick panel, or dash. I'm leaning toward dash but was wondering if anybody here know anything about them.

I have some OEM door speaker grilles but don't want to cut my new doors.

I've considered the kick panels (was my 1st choice) but my restored kicks look good and I don't want to get water on my speakers anyway.

Now I'm looking at the dual cone speakers that go under the dash replacing the original AM speaker (Custom Autosound).

Anybody using them? Price seems good and I keep the stock appearance, which is important to me.

I purchased the dual dash speaker as well, haven't had the chance to listen to it installed though yet. When I pulled my dash there was no speaker so I figure it was better than nothing. The previous owner had used just a set of decent enclosed speakers siting on the rear seats and had put speakers going thru the well liner from the trunk. They weren't hooked up to anything so not sure how that worked out but I have to believe it is totally muffled with the top down. I have seen some really nice clean rear installs going thru the quarter panels right at the bottom of the seat but I cringe at chopping up my originals. I decided to keep the rear seat speakers but I rewired them to be quick disconnects since I don't really like the looks, I added a set of wires for them to the trunk as well so I could use them there too if I want. For the front I also did not want to chop my original doors and with a vent I don't think the kick panels for our year look very good so the choice was simple, add Fiero seats with the speakers in the headrest. To date this is my favorite mod, the seats are so fricken comfortable and there is nothing like having the sound right there like headphones. The worst part of owning a vert for me (especially one with glasspaks at the time) was having to turn the sound down at a red light, then turn it back up while driving, back and forth, back and forth. Of course you lose the stock appearance a bit but you can get covers that look like the stock high back seats so only an expert would know.

I purchased the dual dash speaker as well, haven't had the chance to listen to it installed though yet. When I pulled my dash there was no speaker so I figure it was better than nothing. The previous owner had used just a set of decent enclosed speakers siting on the rear seats and had put speakers going thru the well liner from the trunk. They weren't hooked up to anything so not sure how that worked out but I have to believe it is totally muffled with the top down. I have seen some really nice clean rear installs going thru the quarter panels right at the bottom of the seat but I cringe at chopping up my originals. I decided to keep the rear seat speakers but I rewired them to be quick disconnects since I don't really like the looks, I added a set of wires for them to the trunk as well so I could use them there too if I want. For the front I also did not want to chop my original doors and with a vent I don't think the kick panels for our year look very good so the choice was simple, add Fiero seats with the speakers in the headrest. To date this is my favorite mod, the seats are so fricken comfortable and there is nothing like having the sound right there like headphones. The worst part of owning a vert for me (especially one with glasspaks at the time) was having to turn the sound down at a red light, then turn it back up while driving, back and forth, back and forth. Of course you lose the stock appearance a bit but you can get covers that look like the stock high back seats so only an expert would know.

Thanks for all the replies. guys. I think I'm gonna start with the dash speaker. Once I've got it on the road I may add something more. The Fiero seat option sounds cool, it has me staring at my freshly reupholstered original seats wondering how I could work out a modification.....:001_rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies. guys. I think I'm gonna start with the dash speaker. Once I've got it on the road I may add something more. The Fiero seat option sounds cool, it has me staring at my freshly reupholstered original seats wondering how I could work out a modification.....:001_rolleyes:

I considered the same thing before doing the Fiero conversion, if my back hadn't gotten so F'd up in the accident and I could bare sitting in the stock seat for extended periods, I would have. Mr. Mike, the guy that makes the custom Fiero seat covers, has a how to for adding speakers to Fiero seats that did not have them originally, the same logic would apply really, they float in the foam, shouldn't contact any metal and need some holes in the back as well for air and sound ventialtion, that's about it. I'll bet if you shipped him the headrest covers he would even perf them properly for you for a small charge.

http://mrmikes.com/fierospeakers.htm

I considered the same thing before doing the Fiero conversion, if my back hadn't gotten so F'd up in the accident and I could bare sitting in the stock seat for extended periods, I would have. Mr. Mike, the guy that makes the custom Fiero seat covers, has a how to for adding speakers to Fiero seats that did not have them originally, the same logic would apply really, they float in the foam, shouldn't contact any metal and need some holes in the back as well for air and sound ventialtion, that's about it. I'll bet if you shipped him the headrest covers he would even perf them properly for you for a small charge.

http://mrmikes.com/fierospeakers.htm

I don't think the kick panels for our year look very good so the choice was simple,

Also, keep in mind that with the kick panel speakers it renders the e-brake unusable. At least on my 69. Once installed, I can not depress the emergency brake as the speaker protrudes too far. Something I quite miss with a M/T car. I am trying to figure away around this, like maybe converting to a pull-handle e-brake like earlier cars, or worst case put speakers in the door since a previous owner has already cut the doors anyway.

I havent had issue with my speakers getting wet, granted the car hasnt seen much rain since the install. The only thing that I can think is maybe a poor seal at the window area near the front would let rain run down and behind or on the speakers. I have to remind myself not to kick them getting in or out too. But, these and the Rockford 6x9s in the rear deck, 2 Rockford 10s in the trunk and 800 watts of amps and I soon forget. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Moteaux

Yeah, I said that kind of tongue-in-cheek, I don't think they would get wet much at all. Really, I just like the way my own kicks turned out after I cleaned them up and re-dyed them. If the dash speaker isn't enough, I'll go with a set of kick panels next.

Ive got speakers in the kick panels and I can still use the e-brake. I do have to be careful with it though.

Mine will not clear the speaker grille. I have thought of trying to bend the brake lever a bit, but even with that, I dont think I can get it to clear enough. :cursing:

Good point. I would also think in either case that speaker choice obviously comes into place. I just don't like the way either of them look. I had at one time though thought of closing off my fresh air vent and making that the housing for a speaker so it would still have the factory look from the outside. Never actually thought about it while looking at the air vent though to see if it is even possible.

Speaker selection is critical. The ad claims that 6 1/2" speakers will fit. And there is enough space. However, although the speaker itself fits, the grill probably won't. Mine didn't. I had to exchange the 6 1/2" for 5 1/4" speakers in order to fit the grills.

The problem with the kickpanel pods is that they're very very shallow and it's tough finding speakers that are shallow enough to fit without modifying. What I ended up doing is build up the pods a bit (and I was using really shallow Boston speakers). The built up pods will have clearance issues with the e-brake though. Mine just barely scrapes by.