Sign in to follow this  
428scj

Have you ever seen these emblems

Dog Island?

Winter Park High, class of '76

I have seen Dog Island :devil2:

Dog Island - the small island in the middle of Lake Maitland. So named since you dropped off your dog(s) there and then went water skiing.... We used to ski all the time - even hit the ski jump a few times owned by Rollins College.

Lake Howell - class of '82 (lived in Maitland that year)

Dog Island?

Winter Park High, class of '76

I have seen Dog Island :devil2:

Dog Island - the small island in the middle of Lake Maitland. So named since you dropped off your dog(s) there and then went water skiing.... We used to ski all the time - even hit the ski jump a few times owned by Rollins College.

Lake Howell - class of '82 (lived in Maitland that year)

The owner of that car has them listed as "visible options." I dont think Ford had these as an ordered option.Something in the options or non-option triggered them to be installed.

Pakrat I spoke to a friend of mine that was a mechanic at a Ford dealership back in the day and he said the few that came in with these emblems were factory installed.He never installed any.It was funny when I asked him about them ,he stated "we had no idea why some had them and some didnt."

The owner of that car has them listed as "visible options." I dont think Ford had these as an ordered option.Something in the options or non-option triggered them to be installed.

Pakrat I spoke to a friend of mine that was a mechanic at a Ford dealership back in the day and he said the few that came in with these emblems were factory installed.He never installed any.It was funny when I asked him about them ,he stated "we had no idea why some had them and some didnt."

Yeah see that's what I figured, there really isn't a definitive logic to it. That link to the grande is just the same one I linked to like 20 posts ago, the owners descriptions are vague and non technical, it's good as a placement reference since the car is obviously mostly untouched but that's about it. We know by looking at the brochure that it absolutely was not just an option on the grande.

The only thing that is certain is it could appear on any baseline model (sportsroof, convertible or coupe) that had a 351 or 390 and I have to believe that is a pretty small and exsclusive group. The fact that it appears on the majority of cars in the brochure yet not a single picture of a car with the non functional scoop can be found I think helps support my hypothisis, that the scoop wasn't originally meant as an option for just any car, it's barely a blurb on two pages. Once production began though and it was made as an option I am sure it was a popular one, especially to folks who paid extra to order a V8 larger than the basic 302 and the badge then would be added to the scoop instead.

Yeah see that's what I figured, there really isn't a definitive logic to it. That link to the grande is just the same one I linked to like 20 posts ago, the owners descriptions are vague and non technical, it's good as a placement reference since the car is obviously mostly untouched but that's about it. We know by looking at the brochure that it absolutely was not just an option on the grande.

The only thing that is certain is it could appear on any baseline model (sportsroof, convertible or coupe) that had a 351 or 390 and I have to believe that is a pretty small and exsclusive group. The fact that it appears on the majority of cars in the brochure yet not a single picture of a car with the non functional scoop can be found I think helps support my hypothisis, that the scoop wasn't originally meant as an option for just any car, it's barely a blurb on two pages. Once production began though and it was made as an option I am sure it was a popular one, especially to folks who paid extra to order a V8 larger than the basic 302 and the badge then would be added to the scoop instead.

The box has C9ZB-16228-A .So its in the wrong box.It should be C9ZZ-16228-B.

On the back of my original emblems C9ZB-16237-B .So the "A" is for 351 "B" is for 390 "C" is for COBRAJET 428 "D" and "E" are 429 Boss...

Well Pak Ive got another weird one for ya.When I get home from work I will see if I can post a pic of one of my original 390 emblems .It starts with a "G" number instead of the "C". Ive looked at it under a magnifier and its a "G".Just another casting mix up .

So you actually have one of the original 390 cars that no one to date has seen these on? I thought you just came across the emblems and bought them because they were unique. Maybe it was your user name that led me down that path of thinkinng?!?!?!?

Yes I do but a few have been seen by others.The 351 is the more common.Its a sleeper for sure.I will scan the marti for you .If anyone else has marti reports for a car that has these badges either 351 or 390 please share .

There used to be a Black Jade '69 coupe on the show circuit out here in the early '90s that had that 390 emblem on it.

I'm thinking Ford did not tool up a 428 emblem like this because the production numbers were going to be so small of non-scooped 428 cars that it did not justify the cost.

My 70 grande and 69 sports roof both had em, and they don't show up as options on the Marti Reports. I have seen a number of 351 cars with them over the years, but I don't think I have ever seen a scooped car with them. I have never seen the 390 fender badges on a 69 mustang before. That has to be very rare.

I remember working at a Pontiac dealership 30 years ago, and sometimes a new Pontiac would come in with badges for the chevy equivalent on it. I also remember my neighbor had a late 70s ford f150 that had an f100 badge on one side and an f150 badge on the other.

I think this is purely a recommended install at the factory that probably sometimes got installed and sometimes didn't. Since all the other displacements rolled by on the same line, I am sure that sometimes it got missed and sometimes one got added to a 302 car. It was just the nature of manufacturing at that time.

I have a question fellas. I recently bought (2) "351" badges for my hood scoop for my 69 off eBay. The seller stated they were aftermarket badges but upon removing the old glue I uncovered a part number C9ZB-16237-B. Did i just get lucky and get originals for dirt cheap? (Dirt cheap = $20)

20140114_132728.jpg

20140114_132807.jpg

Edited by Krazy69GT
picture edit

You probably lucked out I would thing. No repop would go thru the effort to put ford part number one them. Especially where they would not be seen. Hopefully someone will chime in that has some originals

I probably did luck out. I have not seen these before ever, just the standard rectangular style. All i see online are rectangular ones. These are angled, which is bad ass. I'l post a picture of them once installed when I have time. Thanks for the feedback.