Sign in to follow this  
428scj

Have you ever seen these emblems

There could very well be variances by manufacture plant or even by line person but I am pretty sure this is the correct location. I think this is even where the assembly manual shows it in the exploded diagram.

1969_00059_10.jpg

Ha, there's a reason they call me Pakrat! I save everything and sure enough I found that exact page I was talking about in a hidden section of my gallery album. I had scanned it like 3 or 4 years ago to show the odd looking hood scoop that never made it to production, at the time we assumed it may have been for the planned ram air option prior to them developing the shaker scoop. Anywho, the position that was "supposed" to be followed by the assembly line is clearly shown. Hard to read but the corresponding notes to the right do in fact show it was available for the 351 and 390 option only and list the part numbers as well.

I wish my memmory worked this well for non mustang things.:001_huh:

odd_scoop.jpg

Ha, there's a reason they call me Pakrat! I save everything and sure enough I found that exact page I was talking about in a hidden section of my gallery album. I had scanned it like 3 or 4 years ago to show the odd looking hood scoop that never made it to production, at the time we assumed it may have been for the planned ram air option prior to them developing the shaker scoop. Anywho, the position that was "supposed" to be followed by the assembly line is clearly shown. Hard to read but the corresponding notes to the right do in fact show it was available for the 351 and 390 option only and list the part numbers as well.

I wish my memmory worked this well for non mustang things.:001_huh:

odd_scoop.jpg

LOL, this is just one of those things that goes in the "only counts against you in judging" categories. This issue in particular is so rare that possibly even some judges won't know what is right, might even mark it as a non original deduction instead of incorrect if they haven't seen it before.

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I have seen/heard of an original owner arguing with a judge that their antenna is correct and they shouldn't get a deduction for it. With Ford original and correct are often two very different things.

LOL, this is just one of those things that goes in the "only counts against you in judging" categories. This issue in particular is so rare that possibly even some judges won't know what is right, might even mark it as a non original deduction instead of incorrect if they haven't seen it before.

Man, if I had a nickel for every time I have seen/heard of an original owner arguing with a judge that their antenna is correct and they shouldn't get a deduction for it. With Ford original and correct are often two very different things.

I drove in today, as it is 60 and sunny here in Orlando.

Anybody else besides me hates Silverjade? Most of us would kill for 60*. My folks are in Naples Fl and had the gall to call today and gripe about it being 68* and cloudy... This winter has been tough around MD. Lots of snow and cold and there is even talk about a record snow (2-3 ft) this weekend....

btw Silverjade I'm from Winter Park originally. I lived on Lake Maitland facing Dog Island. Love the area and wish I was back there. My father is in Altamonte Springs now and my mother/step father are in Naples...

I drove in today, as it is 60 and sunny here in Orlando.

Anybody else besides me hates Silverjade? Most of us would kill for 60*. My folks are in Naples Fl and had the gall to call today and gripe about it being 68* and cloudy... This winter has been tough around MD. Lots of snow and cold and there is even talk about a record snow (2-3 ft) this weekend....

btw Silverjade I'm from Winter Park originally. I lived on Lake Maitland facing Dog Island. Love the area and wish I was back there. My father is in Altamonte Springs now and my mother/step father are in Naples...

I forgot I had an original final issue of the ford master illustrations catalog.It shows 302 badge on the 1969 coupe.And the 351 badge on the 1970 fastback.No mention for the 1969.I really want to get to the bottom of this one.

I forgot I had an original final issue of the ford master illustrations catalog.It shows 302 badge on the 1969 coupe.And the 351 badge on the 1970 fastback.No mention for the 1969.I really want to get to the bottom of this one.

So what do you think was the option that gave certain cars this option.It wasnt body style,assembly plant or dso.The only cars so far I have seen that wear them are ones without a shaker or hood scoop.So according to Kevin Marti we had 299036 total mustangs built in 1969 with 72459 Mach 1's and 13394 more with optional shakers.It sure leaves a huge gap.My marti states my car had the 4A interior which is a rare option,extra cooling package,handling suspension,and is a 390 auto plus more,but nothing regarding apperence groups etc.

So what do you think was the option that gave certain cars this option.It wasnt body style,assembly plant or dso.The only cars so far I have seen that wear them are ones without a shaker or hood scoop.So according to Kevin Marti we had 299036 total mustangs built in 1969 with 72459 Mach 1's and 13394 more with optional shakers.It sure leaves a huge gap.My marti states my car had the 4A interior which is a rare option,extra cooling package,handling suspension,and is a 390 auto plus more,but nothing regarding apperence groups etc.

So what do you think was the option that gave certain cars this option?

Great question! I've been going thru all my old Mustang books and I've found 3 pictures of them; a coupe, convertible and sportsroof (there are far more pictures without them). All are non-scoop, "plain vanilla" cars. These are all old Ford promo pictures. Now, we all know these pictures are taken early, before the cars go into production. So I'm gonna throw out this idea -- they were put on the pre-production and then early-production models, then dropped. Non-scoop cars with the optional, bigger engines got them.Sound plausible? Do you guys know your build date?

Hey, it's just a guess but it's a place to look

So what do you think was the option that gave certain cars this option?

Great question! I've been going thru all my old Mustang books and I've found 3 pictures of them; a coupe, convertible and sportsroof (there are far more pictures without them). All are non-scoop, "plain vanilla" cars. These are all old Ford promo pictures. Now, we all know these pictures are taken early, before the cars go into production. So I'm gonna throw out this idea -- they were put on the pre-production and then early-production models, then dropped. Non-scoop cars with the optional, bigger engines got them.Sound plausible? Do you guys know your build date?

Hey, it's just a guess but it's a place to look

My S code was February 25,69 ,Dearborn.So not that early of a car.I have the build sheet also but once again I dont see anything that looks different .Under moldings on the build sheets all three of them there is no mention of anything.All left blank.

Edited by 428scj

My S code was February 25,69 ,Dearborn.So not that early of a car.I have the build sheet also but once again I dont see anything that looks different .Under moldings on the build sheets all three of them there is no mention of anything.All left blank.

Edited by 428scj

This dealer postcard is basically my car (in a lot better shape)

Except I have a black interior.

This photo and the one on my office wall from the '69 brochure, with the same(?) car on the beach and the young lady in the green striped bikini both have the engine tag on the fender.

I will look up my VIN, but I think my build date is pretty far into the year. I did buy the car with one re-spray in '84. I will talk to the original owner and see if he has any early photos.

JIM

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6074&stc=1&d=1265294782

This dealer postcard is basically my car (in a lot better shape)

Except I have a black interior.

This photo and the one on my office wall from the '69 brochure, with the same(?) car on the beach and the young lady in the green striped bikini both have the engine tag on the fender.

I will look up my VIN, but I think my build date is pretty far into the year. I did buy the car with one re-spray in '84. I will talk to the original owner and see if he has any early photos.

JIM

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6074&stc=1&d=1265294782

I think the riddle here is you guys are trying to apply logic where none really exists. The car in that postcard pic is not the same one from the brochure, that car was Lime Gold with ginger interior like mine originally was. The postcard is silverjade with white interior.

Take a close look at the brochure: http://www.1969stang.com/1969_brochure.pdf

Granted the brochures and master illustrations are practically worthless when it comes to a definitive answer on what production was since both far pre-date any final decisions made and changes would even often be made during a production run.

The brochure shows far more cars with the badge than it doesn't. I think it is safe to assume that the first Sportsroof pic is likely a 302 or six model, then the coupe, grande and convertible, all clad in plain jane dress show the badge. The non functioning scoop was I believe originally only designed for the GT and Mach's that did not want a functioning shaker scoop since boith these models start with a baseline 351. So any non GT or Mach car with a 351 or bigger engine was likely supposed to have this badge as basic equipment. If you were ordering a plain jane 428 then you likely would not want to advertise your sleeper and probably why there is no 428 fender badge offered.

So the question is why do some cars that qualify seem to have it and some don't, the answer I think is not so simple. It is probably a variety of things.

1) Unlike most badges this does not have pins, it is a stick on. If bagdes ran out I highly doubt the car would stay on the line or get put aside, it probably rolled off without it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if many line workers just skipped by this step since it only applied to two engines.

2) It may have come in the trunk with the antenna and other dealer prep items so some might have put it on and others might have not.

3) As I hinted to above I don't think the non functional scoop was originally intended as an option to add to just any car. It does not really appear as an option on any lists so I don't think it is as simple as saying it went on all scoopless cars, I think it just turned out that way. Dealers were notorious for adding options that weren't really options to their plain jane cars to move them off the lot faster like front or rear spoilers, grapics packages, hood scoops, exterior decor trim, etc.

So in my opinion I think this was supposed to be on all the plain jane cars that had a 351 or 390 but most plain janes are actually 302 or lower and in addition to any of the plausable scenarios above I think you also have to consider that there are very few unrestored cars these days to reference and so thru the years of numerous owners, engine swaps and paint jobs most cars have simply lost them because they weren't really reproduced and didn't leave behind a hole for placement.

I think the riddle here is you guys are trying to apply logic where none really exists. The car in that postcard pic is not the same one from the brochure, that car was Lime Gold with ginger interior like mine originally was. The postcard is silverjade with white interior.

Take a close look at the brochure: http://www.1969stang.com/1969_brochure.pdf

Granted the brochures and master illustrations are practically worthless when it comes to a definitive answer on what production was since both far pre-date any final decisions made and changes would even often be made during a production run.

The brochure shows far more cars with the badge than it doesn't. I think it is safe to assume that the first Sportsroof pic is likely a 302 or six model, then the coupe, grande and convertible, all clad in plain jane dress show the badge. The non functioning scoop was I believe originally only designed for the GT and Mach's that did not want a functioning shaker scoop since boith these models start with a baseline 351. So any non GT or Mach car with a 351 or bigger engine was likely supposed to have this badge as basic equipment. If you were ordering a plain jane 428 then you likely would not want to advertise your sleeper and probably why there is no 428 fender badge offered.

So the question is why do some cars that qualify seem to have it and some don't, the answer I think is not so simple. It is probably a variety of things.

1) Unlike most badges this does not have pins, it is a stick on. If bagdes ran out I highly doubt the car would stay on the line or get put aside, it probably rolled off without it. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if many line workers just skipped by this step since it only applied to two engines.

2) It may have come in the trunk with the antenna and other dealer prep items so some might have put it on and others might have not.

3) As I hinted to above I don't think the non functional scoop was originally intended as an option to add to just any car. It does not really appear as an option on any lists so I don't think it is as simple as saying it went on all scoopless cars, I think it just turned out that way. Dealers were notorious for adding options that weren't really options to their plain jane cars to move them off the lot faster like front or rear spoilers, grapics packages, hood scoops, exterior decor trim, etc.

So in my opinion I think this was supposed to be on all the plain jane cars that had a 351 or 390 but most plain janes are actually 302 or lower and in addition to any of the plausable scenarios above I think you also have to consider that there are very few unrestored cars these days to reference and so thru the years of numerous owners, engine swaps and paint jobs most cars have simply lost them because they weren't really reproduced and didn't leave behind a hole for placement.