Sign in to follow this  
69ISH

69 Windsor won't rev under load

Hi all,

I will start with some background info.(This is my 69 Cougar Eliminator and not my 69 stang spotsroof project which by the way is now purple and no longer red)

I had her out on friday night at a new local cruise in, on the way home gave it a bit of a feed ( didn't thrash it and only let it rev to about 4500rpm as had the wife and kids with me and wouldn't normally rev it past here anyway) from a set of traffic lights and a large amount of smoke a fair bit of missing and a lack in power was the response which was unusual but I normally just plod a long in it and don't normally go out and play in it.

Saturday morning:- Presumed it was carby running way to rich as exhaust was black. reset float levels took it for a drive around the block and would hardly rev at all and only just got it home, Rechecked float levels found that secondary was flooded, so pulled needle and seat cleaned refitted reset float, took it for a run same problem, rechecked float alls good,tried to start to check timing and would not start sounded like timing was way out so I blocked off all vacuum ( To eliminate vacuum leaks being a problem) except for brakes checked timing by hand, replaced rotor button, distributor cap and leads with those of the mustang (was all running sweet 3 year ago but is a project in progress). Checked fluids to make sure they were all where they were meant to be and not sitting inside a cylinder.

Still had the same problem.

pulled carb and replaced with 1 off the mustang tuned and checked float levels idles extremely well and has a very little hesitation when reving without load , runs better but still wont rev freely under load.

I am running a 351 Windsor ford racing crate engine approx 3 year old with less than 8,000 miles on the engine has only been fitted for about twelve months. PetronixII Ignitor running of the positive side of the coil (:nono:I know it is not recommended) HOLLEY 650? Part No 80457 with electric choke vacuum secondaries (:nono:also taking power from the coil I know I know also not recommended) was running Holley 650? Part No1850 manual choke vacuum secondaries

No bubbles in radiator, no water in oil, no black/grey/blue smoke.

Suggestions would be much appreciated as what to do next.confused.gif

Have you checked your plug wires also? What kind of coil are you running, stock? I've heard several times that Petronix doen't like a stock type coil. When I went Petronix five years ago, I went with their wires and coil also. You never know, swap out the coils and see what she does. Good luck and keep us posted.

Swapped the coil with the muzzy, fitted new plugs gapped .035" (To memory that gap is right) drew power direct from the battery (Temporarily) for the dizzy and choke and is now running well, not perfect, but a whole lot better than it has all weekend, I will take it for a good run (hopefully tomorrow) and see how it goes hopefully exhaust will change colour and there will be no black smoke.