Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

Clock question

....you may be able to recover it, they're fairly simple movements that can sometimes be fixed by a clock-maker. Try removing it and soaking it in kerosine. If you want to replace it, a good guage place should be able to help with a quartz movement.

I knnow of a couple of people that have "fixed" their clocks by spraying down the mechanical gears with WD 40. The movemnets do dry out after all this time. These guys still have working clocks after 3yrs......give it a try. What do youhave to lose. It is not working now.

JAG

I had my clock redone by ; The Clock Works 1-800-398-3040. If WD-40 don't work, you might call these people. Good people, I paid $135.00 including shipping.

Kaz

I'll give them a shot if Mine doesn't respond to the WD-40.

I go to Gun Barrel City alot. I live in Tyler.

i believe Mustang Monthly did an article on cleaning the clocks. WD-40 is fine, but use compressed air (just a few pounds of air pressure) to blow off the excess. After you do that, clean the contact points. The points get some corrosion and is most likely the cause of the clock not resetting when it runs down. Find the article or maybe someone on this site will be able to help with a shortcut.

I know WD-40 evaporates over time, and gives dust something to stick too. Does anyone think a Graphite based lube would work as well?

I have done two of them exactly as described by Mikem and both are running 2+ years later. I wouldn't worry about the WD-40 evaporating. Stay with the proven technique.

I know WD-40 evaporates over time, and gives dust something to stick too. Does anyone think a Graphite based lube would work as well?

I have done two of them exactly as described by Mikem and both are running 2+ years later. I wouldn't worry about the WD-40 evaporating. Stay with the proven technique.

I found MM articles about cleaning the clocks but it was all pretty much covered here with the advice you got. Also found one on the quartz replacement and it lists a vendor, it's several years old though so not sure if they are valid or not still.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/173_0301_cleaning_vintage_ford_mustang_clocks/index.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/vintage_ford_mustang_clocks_repair_fix/index.html

I found MM articles about cleaning the clocks but it was all pretty much covered here with the advice you got. Also found one on the quartz replacement and it lists a vendor, it's several years old though so not sure if they are valid or not still.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/173_0301_cleaning_vintage_ford_mustang_clocks/index.html

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/vintage_ford_mustang_clocks_repair_fix/index.html

Thanks everyone . I'm going to try the WD 40 and see what happens. If anyone that hasn't tryed the WD 40 before now .... and just tryed it after hearing it works from these guys that told us about it... lets hear if your clock works now.

Thanks everyone . I'm going to try the WD 40 and see what happens. If anyone that hasn't tryed the WD 40 before now .... and just tryed it after hearing it works from these guys that told us about it... lets hear if your clock works now.

This thread has inspired me to get my clock working. I was attempting to remove the clock / dash assembly but it is held in place by the side tabs. I suppose that the entire dash pad needs to be loosened off to get it out because of these tabs. Is this the case, or is there a trick to removing it that I don't know? Sorry for the dumb question, but just looking for an easy way out (if there is one) before I go ahead with unscrewing the dash pad.

As always, many thanks in advance.

Tony

I bought mine from these guys. Was for a round clock. But basically changing the internals, not sure why it would matter. Prety easy to do. Came with a CD. Once done kept great time. Change plastic lense while you ara at it.

http://clocksandgauges.com/gpage.html

I had them restore mine with quartz movement. They repainted all the needles and did a top notch job making it look brand new. :clap: