Sign in to follow this  
MikeStang

Which Subframe Connectors

Ok guys,

Im looking for opinions on GOOD weld in Subframe connectors, and Chassis stiffining connectors.

My Criteria are as follows..

1. Dont want to cut the floors to fit them in.

2. Dont want them hanging down too far since the car will be dropped some what.

3. Would like a subframe connector that is manufactured or made to tie in with the chassis stiffiners.

Ok Lets hear what everyone has used and likes and why.

Gota get these ordered and installed before I undercoat the car with the lizard Skin, its burning me up, I wana get it going.

Mike

I don't have firsthand experience as i haven't purchased/installed them yet, but when i do, I'm going with tin man. They seem the best in my opinion.

They go inside the front subframes (welded solid), hug the floor and connect to the strongest part of the rear subframe! Look at the instillation pics on the page.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm

I bought subframe connectors from Total Control Products. I got them about 10 years ago. They are heavy tubular connectors that are powdercoated and very well made. Easy to weld in and they are tucked up and hardly noticeable.

I don't have firsthand experience as i haven't purchased/installed them yet, but when i do, I'm going with tin man. They seem the best in my opinion.

They go inside the front subframes (welded solid), hug the floor and connect to the strongest part of the rear subframe! Look at the instillation pics on the page.

http://www.tinmanfabrication.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=58/prd58.htm

I just installed my tin man connectors last week. They were very solid and fit perfect. They tuck up against the floors very nicely. Install was a breeze.

Mike, I am in school right now which is 100 miles away from my parents house where the car is. I plan on going down this weekend to work on the car some more so I'll take some pics then.

However, my install looks identical to this one:

http://web.mac.com/jbauder/tinmancompressed.pdf

Also, they make a driveshaft loop that you weld between the two subframe connectors which would make it even stiffer.

Edited by Jmoffitt

Mike, I am in school right now which is 100 miles away from my parents house where the car is. I plan on going down this weekend to work on the car some more so I'll take some pics then.

However, my install looks identical to this one:

http://web.mac.com/jbauder/tinmancompressed.pdf

Also, they make a driveshaft loop that you weld between the two subframe connectors which would make it even stiffer.

Edited by Jmoffitt

The x brace Might be overkill but most people dont usually need roll bars either, but in my experience a crossbrace or diagonal brace does way more for handling then just front to back. I beat my cars a bit too... that's what I build them for.

I have made connectors before, square tubing and a torch and tack some rounds to a steel welding table and fit heat bend, fit heat bend. I dont have access to a nice mandrel round tubing bender though.

The x brace Might be overkill but most people dont usually need roll bars either, but in my experience a crossbrace or diagonal brace does way more for handling then just front to back. I beat my cars a bit too... that's what I build them for.

I have made connectors before, square tubing and a torch and tack some rounds to a steel welding table and fit heat bend, fit heat bend. I dont have access to a nice mandrel round tubing bender though.

The tin man stuff looks nice, but Im not sure I like the idea of cutting open my frame rail, I have already removed the floor pans, and coated inside the rails LOL. Hate to open them back up to more corrosion. With the Tinman connectors, does it some with all the material to box the rail back in.....I also kinda like them because like you said Rev you can always fab something up and make it yourself, and its alot easier to make something to fit that Square Connector than a round one.

Im still looking at the Global West units tho.

Mike

The tin man stuff looks nice, but Im not sure I like the idea of cutting open my frame rail, I have already removed the floor pans, and coated inside the rails LOL. Hate to open them back up to more corrosion. With the Tinman connectors, does it some with all the material to box the rail back in.....I also kinda like them because like you said Rev you can always fab something up and make it yourself, and its alot easier to make something to fit that Square Connector than a round one.

Im still looking at the Global West units tho.

Mike

How well would the global west sfc compare to maier racing sfc? I really like the maiers but the global west are almost $100 cheaper. Maier also has an add on cross brace which looks really nice. CJ has them on sale for the week end. I was going to hold off on the sfc but with the new engine, Im sure I'll be needing them. Both global west and maier are on sale with free shipping so I might pick up a set over the weekend.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/subframe-connectors/c/10170150/cp/10170000/cg/10000000/

http://www.maierracing.com/images/large2pnms2214b.jpg

I would rather go with maier because their stuff is developed for track use. However, that may also be overkill on a street car. In which case, I might as well save some money and go with GW. Ugh. Decisions, decisions.

Thats Exxactly what im talking about right there Rev, I like the look of that , anyone actually used or installed one yet?

Wonder if its Overkill?

Mike

I just used the TCP's to help locate the drivers front floor support. You can see it in my project thread. Haven't welded them in yet because I need to finish the floor first. X brace will come later.

I have a set of the TCP subframes and xbrace installed and they make the car handle very well. When i first installed the subframe, i noticed a big difference. After about 6 months, i got the xbrace with the driveshaft loop, and it also improved the car. I would recommend it!

I will try and take a picture of it as soon as i can!

I have the Global West connectors on my Mach, and I highly recommend them. I think it is the single best mod I've made to the car... though I do suspect any subframe connector would be awesome. GW has been around a long time and their parts were originally designed for racing applications, same as Maier, so you know the parts are durable and effective.

BTW:

Will the global west subframe connectors work with the shelby traction bars ?

Yes. I'm running the GW connectors and Shelby underrider traction bars:

leftsubframeconnector1.th.jpg 61616616.th.jpg 61192263.th.jpg 38391458.th.jpg

23067075.th.jpg 82938061.th.jpg 43054203.th.jpg 65392174.th.jpg

45780838.th.jpg 73222640.th.jpg

Ignore the old dangling exhaust... we got the new exhaust installed shortly after getting the connectors and traction bars installed. Pics of new exhaust:

fromrear3resized.th.jpg fromfront2resized.th.jpg