Sign in to follow this  
Len69Coupe

Sport Mirror Remote Mounting

I bought a sport mirror with remote for the drivers side. In all the photos of the door I can find it looks like the remote is mounted straight up from the window crank. Is that right? I never l found a really good pic though. Also, I have a standard interior, does the mounting bolts go through just the door panel, or through the panel and the door? Hope that makes sense.

Hey LFugate, where did you buy your replacement sport mirror with remote? Am also wondering if you're going to paint it to match your car.

If I'm following you (and I'm not 100% sure that I am), the remote cable is mounted to the interior of the door frame but NOT through the panel itself. Unfortunately, my boy's car did NOT have the little bracket that mounts the cable and we simply routed the cable around and through the door to the opening in the door panel.

The mounting bracket just holds the cable in place, but obviously it's not required to make it work. I wish I knew exactly where that was supposed to go, but I know for sure it's not through the panel.

As far as the location of the remote, it'll be obvious when you put your door panel up to the door...as the remote has to pop out through an opening in the door with just enough room to spare to go through the door panel and secured with the retaining nut. Your description of "just above the crank" sounds right to me.

Tom

Hmmm...just consulted my Shop CD and it doesn't even mention a bracket to hold the cable in place. I may have hallucinated that (which also explains why my boy's coupe didn't have one) in my response to you.

Perhaps you were talking about attaching the actual mirror itself? Sorry if I'm off the scent. Perhaps others will know what you meant, but if you can clarify, I think I can help you out.

Tom

Hey Tom, I bought it used off EBAY and it came with the remote mirror bezel. I'm going to paint the mirror the same color as the car. I thought about taking the easy way out and painting it black, but I think it would look better the same color as the car. I had to put a new mirror in it and that was $20, but the guy I bought it from covered that.

I didn't think I was very clear in my original question. If you look close at the link there is a bracket that mounts to the back of the bezel with 2 bolts. That is the part I'm asking about where it mounts. So there is a cutout in the door that it bolts to? So it would go through the door panel and the door? It will probably make a lot more sense when I remove the door panel. Thanks for the help.

http://johnsmustang.com/Catalog/4738/

Hey LFugate, I definitely mis-understood you the first time 'round. StephenC has you covered, and for clarity, the bezel mounts only to the door panel, it does NOT bolt to the door frame itself.

And thanks for the info about the mirror. I need to get a replacement...soon.

Tom

Hopefully you bought the correct year mirror to match your door panel. The 69 mirror control is different than the 70. The 70 control knob housing (at the end of the cable) is bent 90° and the 69 is straight. FYI