Sign in to follow this  
brianrupp78

Help me pick wheels and tires

Ok so my mustang(69 fastback) needs wheels and tires. Just did a front disc brake conversion so the wheels it came with will not fit.... Sitting on jackstands right now kinda sad.....

I went to lesschuab today and I just couldnt decide what width... how big... what style... so I need some help.....

I dont want anything super expensive....... less than 2000

give some ideas ....... i want it kind of staggered..... wider in the back

How wide can I go in the back?

im not very knoweldgeable on the subject so help me out

thanks guys

I upgraded to original chrome Magnum 500's over the weekend. 15x7 w/4" Backspace. BFG's 235/60/15 fronts and 255/60/15 rears. My car is lowered 1" all around and everything seems to fit so far.

Do a site search for keyword "tires" or "wheels" and you'll get hundreds of posts to help you choose.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Burn out!

Edited by Burn

I upgraded to original chrome Magnum 500's over the weekend. 15x7 w/4" Backspace. BFG's 235/60/15 fronts and 255/60/15 rears. My car is lowered 1" all around and everything seems to fit so far.

Do a site search for keyword "tires" or "wheels" and you'll get hundreds of posts to help you choose.

Good luck and let us know what you go with.

Burn out!

Nice looking car. No rub issues with those 235's up front? I had to run 215's up front to make sure I wasn't rubbing on the UCA. I do have Global West tubular UCA's.

Nice looking car. No rub issues with those 235's up front? I had to run 215's up front to make sure I wasn't rubbing on the UCA. I do have Global West tubular UCA's.

No rubbing issues.

This is a Picture of my friends 69 with MAg 500's and BFG's.

you can fit a 275/60/15 under the rear but you have to roll the fender lips or it will rub when you hit big bumps or have a pass in the back seats, but it fills the wheel wells.

My pic is too big, I will throw them into an album.....The tires on the rear are MT Street Et's, they are 275/60/15's, and like I said if you roll they lip they fit with no rubbing.

Well it let me add a pic, guess they are not too large

let me know if you cant see them and I will make an album

Mike

Edited by MikeStang

I run 275/60/15 MT ETs in the rear and they don't rub at all. No fit issues and no fender rub. The fenders are not rolled. I do have 4.5 rear leafs - standard eye and KYB shocks. 225/70/15 fronts are good too... Sometimes I catch the lower edge of the front quarter reversing but other than that - no issues... Another good thing about a 275/60/15 | 225/70/15 combo is it's as neutral a stance as you can get. The fronts are 27.4" and the rears are 28" tall.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/IMG_1524?full=1

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/IMG_1523?full=1

As to the wheel question - I really like a TT wheel - overdone but they look good on stangs...

Edited by coz

you have anymore pictures.. thats the exact set up im going to go with..

Sorry, I dont have any better pictures..yet.

If I had 15x8's (4.5 BS) on the rear I would have bought the 275/60/15's. Like Coz said, they wont rub.

I'm also a Big fan of old Torq-Thrust D wheels on our cars.

I have 15x8's on the rear with 275/60/15 tires. I got just a little bit of rub. I did have to roll my fender lips. But I lowered the back of my car down a bit. The picture I posted in the previous post showed the car before I lowered the back about 1 inch.

I run 275/60/15 MT ETs in the rear and they don't rub at all. No fit issues and no fender rub. The fenders are not rolled. I do have 4.5 rear leafs - standard eye and KYB shocks. 225/70/15 fronts are good too... Sometimes I catch the lower edge of the front quarter reversing but other than that - no issues... Another good thing about a 275/60/15 | 225/70/15 combo is it's as neutral a stance as you can get. The fronts are 27.4" and the rears are 28" tall.

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/IMG_1524?full=1

http://www.1969stang.com/gallery/COZ-69Mach1/IMG_1523?full=1

As to the wheel question - I really like a TT wheel - overdone but they look good on stangs...

Nice looking car. I think you didn't have to roll your fender lips because your car sits higher in the rear than mine and Mikestang's car. In fact, I think my car might sit even slightly lower in the rear than Mikestang's.

We were running the stock springs and KYB Shocks on the rear....We are swapping to a 5 Leaf reverse eye in a bit tho....gona get all out stuff from opentracker racing.

But the car is getting a new set of Coys Rims in an 18" size and some lower profile tires

Mike

So if I went with 275 on a 15x8 in the rear it wont rub or anything? like I wouldnt have to make any changes at all?

then what up front 15x7 with the 235? that will fit without issue as well?

Magnum 500 with bfg is what i keep coming back to lol....

Ok last chance to save me from making a mistake....

I plan on ordering.............

275/60/r15 on 15x8 magnum 500 for the rear

and 235/60/r15 on 15x7 for the front

Does anyone think i will have any issues at all with this set up?

someone mentioned going with a 235/70/r15 instead of the 60.... wouldnt that raise the front? I would like the car to have a rake so that its higher in the rear....

also if someone could tell me about rolling fender lips and I could also use a lesson on extender shackles as well

Thank you very much guys.... Im going to bed now and will check this one last time in the morning before I order..... So let me know if this set up is going to work.

Im ordering from summit so im a little bit worried about the 275s not fitting in the back

we use to use a baseball bat to roll the lips in (don't beat it with the bat) with your tires and wheels on the car stick the bat in at an angle over the tire with the handle pointing down get someone to drive the car forward slowly and let the bat slowley roll up the fenderwell as your putting pressure down, you can start with the handle on the tire first if you have a small gap or just keep finding the right spot on the bat for thickness to easyly roll in the inner lip of the fender, hope that makes sense.

Ok last chance to save me from making a mistake....

I plan on ordering.............

275/60/r15 on 15x8 magnum 500 for the rear

and 235/60/r15 on 15x7 for the front

Does anyone think i will have any issues at all with this set up?

someone mentioned going with a 235/70/r15 instead of the 60.... wouldnt that raise the front? I would like the car to have a rake so that its higher in the rear....

also if someone could tell me about rolling fender lips and I could also use a lesson on extender shackles as well

Thank you very much guys.... Im going to bed now and will check this one last time in the morning before I order..... So let me know if this set up is going to work.

Im ordering from summit so im a little bit worried about the 275s not fitting in the back

If that's what you're going with, I have the same rim setup. I bought mine from Laurel Mountain Mustang for $679 for all 4 wheels with lug nuts and center caps.

http://www.laurelmountainmustangparts.com/store/196973-magnum-wheel-15x7-15x8special-p-6927.html

The wheels are made by Specialty Wheel of Oregon. I like the quality. I had issues with rubbing trying to put 235's on the front of my car. But I do have Global West Tubular upper control arms. I know there are other people that have no problems with the 235's on the front.

Brian, I have 275 / 60 / 15 tires on the back of my '69. I have them on 15x7 ( I had them lying around ) wheels from a '76 gran torino. They fit my car without any problems. I didn't have to modify anything. The tires I have right now are cooper cobras. LSG