Swags63

Front Sway bar ????

My car is a 69 mach 1 with a 428 CJ, it is missing the front sway bar and I intend to replace it. I'm looking for some input on what size to use???, I've seen a variety of sizes for sale and the prices are all pretty close. So here is my question, is bigger better (1 1/8") or should I use something thinner (1" or 3/4") to promote ride quality. This car is going to be more of a cruiser then a racer so the priority should go in that direction or does it even matter? Any help or input would be appreciated. :helpsmilie::helpsmilie::helpsmilie:

Thanks, Swags63

Handling is important for a cruiser. Ive got the 1 1/8" up front and the 7/8 in the back. i never really cared about handling before i installed the larger front sway bar. The car is a lot more enjoyable now that it handles better. I ride comfort is nice to. Ive got low profile tires so the ride isnt as smooth as stock obviously, but i don't mind. If it doesnt have the sway bar on now, and you like the smooth ride, then you might not want to go too big if you install one. I've driven mine without the front sway bar and there is definitely a difference. But the ride is not punishing and I've never had anyone complain about it being too stiff(mom,sister,girlfriend,etc.) Daily driver too. IMO, the larger, the better. And I think you'll find that if you install the larger sway bar, you will become very interested in improving your handling. i know i did.

I have the sway bar you are looking for. It is a Global West big block sway bar and is listed on Ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130356871546&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT

If you do not wish to bid on it or if it does not sell, contact me and we can work out a good price since I do not need it.

The stock size on your 1969 car would have been 15/16" with no bar on the rear. The 1970’s came with same size up front but either a ½†or 5/8†on the rear.

I had a standard 302-2V Mustang years ago and added the 15/16 bar and it helped the handling. So I went with an aftermarket rear bar from Addco. It mounted differently than a stock bar would have and I never could really tell any difference.

Several years ago I decided to upgrade my stock bars on my 1970 351C-4V Mach 1. I added a 1 1/8†front bar and 7/8†rear bar. They sent me the wrong rear bar as it was one you would add to a car without a previous bar versus replacing the present bar. I didn’t realize this till after I had replaced the front bar and was in the process of replacing the rear. Once I discovered it was the wrong bar I contacted the vendor and they swapped it out for the correct rear bar. In the mean time since I had removed the original rear bar and had driven and owned several small block Mustangs without a rear bar over the years I drove my Mach 1 without a rear sway bar for about a week till I got the replacement. I was amazed at how differently my Mach handled without a rear bar. Taking on/off cloverleaf’s became a problem as it reduced the speed I could carry on the turns as it felt the backend was really loose and wanting to come around from what I was use to with the stock system. Once I added the rear bar and with both being bigger in size, I once again became a “terror†on the ramps of interstates upon entering or exiting (LOL). :whistling:

Bigger sway bars really can help handling and while cruising down the road you can’t tell a difference until the first turn with a little speed.

If you have done the Arning-Shelby upper control arm drop, which is a requirement in my mind, you won't need a rear bar. When building mine I bought a rear bar and was planning on installing it. I then read several threads where it was said a rear bar is not needed, and if used will cause snap oversteer.

So I delayed the rear bar install until my 69 was drivable, and not an I glad I did. My car with a 1⅛ front sway bar, 1" Arning drop, 7° caster, -.5° camber, 1/16" toe in, 245/45-18" front tires, and 255/45-18 rear tires handles very nuetral with no under or over steer. Your mileage may vary.