Sign in to follow this  
BSD69

Hood clearence

a super victor is 0.5" taller than a victor.

here is a picture showing the clearance for the following:

1/2" drop mounts

351W

victor jr (carb surface milled 1/4")

1 1/4" drop base air cleaner

2.813 filter height

modified the air cleaner base to add a little more angle

there is about 0.75" of clearance on the nose of the lid to the hood.

consider milling the intake carb surface at a slight angle instead of milling 1/4" off flat. seems to me, with a little effort you could fit a super victor.

i don't think you can get a drop base air cleaner in less than a 14" diameter. i do see K&N sell a 16" air cleaner with a 2" drop. you would have to watch out for the distibutor with the larger air cleaner though.

IMG_5255.jpg

here was the end result of what i was trying to build. i ended up adding a 1/4" spacer back to the intake surface. the shaker does not stick up out of the hood at all.

IMG_5509.jpg

1/2" drop mounts

351W

2.813 filter height

consider milling the intake carb surface at a slight angle instead of milling 1/4" off flat. seems to me, with a little effort you could fit a super victor.

i don't think you can get a drop base air cleaner in less than a 14" diameter. i do see K&N sell a 16" air cleaner with a 2" drop. you would have to watch out for the distibutor with the larger air cleaner though.

IMG_5255.jpg

here was the end result of what i was trying to build. i ended up adding a 1/4" spacer back to the intake surface. the shaker does not stick up out of the hood at all.

IMG_5509.jpg

1/2" drop mounts

351W

2.813 filter height

IMG_5255.jpg

IMG_5509.jpg

Buening, the 1/2" drop would be an option, since I got both types of the Ron Morris engine mounts, but I think my oil-pan-to-Steeroids-rack clearance is going to be an issue on the bottom. It will be a shoehorn fit . . .

Buckeye, that's a lot to go on, thanks. You're right about the drop not being available in smaller than 14", at least with the X-Stream. I think this X-Stream is what I'll try:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-66-3040/

it has a 1.25" drop, 2.75" height from carb flange, and a 3" element. I hope that top can breathe if it's jammed up against the hood. Not ready yet for a new hood or to put a scoop on. It looks like compared to you:

1. I'll have standard engine mounts, .5" higher

2. A .06 shorter filter assembly

3. A .5" taller intake

theoretically, my setup should be .94" closer to the hood than yours, so I may have a bit of an issue unless I can work on that carb base. An X-Stream or a Summit filter-top with no room to breathe up there kind of negates the purpose. I'm sold on going with a filter-top design if you have a drop base filter to ensure enough airflow.

There are some air cleaner assemblies with a 3" filter and a 2.5" height from carb flange, but none of them are filter-top. The question then becomes - can you buy these K&N and Summit filter-tops and just plop them on a Moroso assembly? Kind of unclear from the Summit and K&N sites . . .

Buening, the 1/2" drop would be an option, since I got both types of the Ron Morris engine mounts, but I think my oil-pan-to-Steeroids-rack clearance is going to be an issue on the bottom. It will be a shoehorn fit . . .

Buckeye, that's a lot to go on, thanks. You're right about the drop not being available in smaller than 14", at least with the X-Stream. I think this X-Stream is what I'll try:

it has a 1.25" drop, 2.75" height from carb flange, and a 3" element. I hope that top can breathe if it's jammed up against the hood. Not ready yet for a new hood or to put a scoop on. It looks like compared to you:

3. A .5" taller intake

theoretically, my setup should be .94" closer to the hood than yours, so I may have a bit of an issue unless I can work on that carb base. An X-Stream or a Summit filter-top with no room to breathe up there kind of negates the purpose. I'm sold on going with a filter-top design if you have a drop base filter to ensure enough airflow.

There are some air cleaner assemblies with a 3" filter and a 2.5" height from carb flange, but none of them are filter-top. The question then becomes - can you buy these K&N and Summit filter-tops and just plop them on a Moroso assembly? Kind of unclear from the Summit and K&N sites . . .

3. A .5" taller intake

70vert,

in the picture showing the air cleaner thru the hood, it also has a 1/4" shaved off the intake. as a last resort consider milling a little off the intake at an angle.

here was the way i modified the base to increase the angle. if you do something like this, consider the fact that the 7/8 drop base is the same as the 1 1/4" with the only difference being the neck. that allowed me to make the cut as shown.

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

of course i ground the welds after this.

70vert,

in the picture showing the air cleaner thru the hood, it also has a 1/4" shaved off the intake. as a last resort consider milling a little off the intake at an angle.

here was the way i modified the base to increase the angle. if you do something like this, consider the fact that the 7/8 drop base is the same as the 1 1/4" with the only difference being the neck. that allowed me to make the cut as shown.

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

70vert,

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

70vert, I don't recall what hood you are using but you can always go the Boss 429 scoop route and cut a hole in the hood. The scoop is large enough to hold most air cleaners that protrude through the hood. But...not sure if you have a mach scoop and if not, are willing to cut the hood and use the Boss scoop.

70vert, I don't recall what hood you are using but you can always go the Boss 429 scoop route and cut a hole in the hood. The scoop is large enough to hold most air cleaners that protrude through the hood. But...not sure if you have a mach scoop and if not, are willing to cut the hood and use the Boss scoop.

@Buckeye: that's a great guide and should help everyone on this thread. I'm going to see what exactly needs to be done and how much clearance there is when the engine's actually in the car and might use that as a guide to getting the air cleaner assembly flatter under the hood instead of pointed up in the front.

@buening: not ready yet for a hood scoop, but if I did one I would lean towards the shorter-but-still-429-style Cougar Eliminator style scoop - pointed in front with the hood bulge disappearing under it. I have to study more convertibles if I have to do the scoop to see what I really like. A hood scoop can really change the look of the car and then you have to think stripe kits, graphics, etc. A little more than I wanted to wrap my head around right now.

@Buckeye: that's a great guide and should help everyone on this thread. I'm going to see what exactly needs to be done and how much clearance there is when the engine's actually in the car and might use that as a guide to getting the air cleaner assembly flatter under the hood instead of pointed up in the front.

@buening: not ready yet for a hood scoop, but if I did one I would lean towards the shorter-but-still-429-style Cougar Eliminator style scoop - pointed in front with the hood bulge disappearing under it. I have to study more convertibles if I have to do the scoop to see what I really like. A hood scoop can really change the look of the car and then you have to think stripe kits, graphics, etc. A little more than I wanted to wrap my head around right now.

I've been thinking about Spectre's kits in general, but this could be an interesting contribution to the hood clearance discussion - this kit with inline filters in the snorkels requires only 2.4" clearance from hood to carb. This might be a good option for those with clearance issues:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.7739

I've been thinking about Spectre's kits in general, but this could be an interesting contribution to the hood clearance discussion - this kit with inline filters in the snorkels requires only 2.4" clearance from hood to carb. This might be a good option for those with clearance issues:

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.7739