RogerC

Homemade gauge cluster

Working on my custom gauge panel. I posted a couple of pics on Cruzzar’s thread (http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=6098) a while back on what I started with. Made a mold from a spare 70 panel. Ended up trimming it up from the bottom flat so I could go the same route as Cruzzar.

IMG_1868.jpg

Covered it with aluminum foil. Note to self, buy quality HD foil next time. Layed up 2 layers of glass cloth. Sanded it level after it dried.

IMG_2826.jpg

Added a third layer with glass matting. Doing it in 30* weather sucks. It wouldn’t saturate and flow out, let it sit for several hours. Ended up bringing it inside cause rain was on its way. It really stunk up the house. It cured fairly well in the house.

IMG_2828.jpg

Did a quick trim and spent a couple hours peeling the cheap foil off the part. Destroyed the old 70 piece separating the parts. There’s way too many air bubbles. I spent a lot of time working them out but think more formed as the resin flowed out. As you can see on the last pic I have too much resin on the part. I need to add another layer around the sides & top. I have a lot of sanding ahead of me to make this smooth and level out the flat areas.

IMG_2839.jpg

You can see some of the foil still stuck in the part. I’ll be sanding it to smooth out the mating surfaces. The inside corners on the back will be getting a strip of matt and cloth for added support. I’m also going to add gussets at the bottom corners for strength and build up the center bottom just in case I have to clearance it for the steering column. Thursday looks like it’ll be in the 40s so I’ll try to do that then.

IMG_2840.jpg

Overall I think its looking pretty good. If it stays cold, I might not get this finished till spring.

Edited by RacerX
didn't like the big font copied from word

Thanks guys

What size gauges are you going to put in there?

I'm looking at VDO Vision series 4" tach & speedo and 2-1/16" for the rest. I might try and squeeze 3 gauges on either side of the center section. Depends if it'll look right. Otherwise I'll find room elsewhere for 2 of the gauges.

Cut away areas of a 70 standard piece and added what I wanted it to look like and laid glass on top of it (my g stopped working). A lot of sanding and it fits over my 69 with some minor trimming. I'm still waiting to buy gauges. Time to change my keyboard.

Edited by RacerX
R&R keyboard, replaced 9s with g

Update

Trimmed my original panel, sanded all contact areas and bonded the fiberglass piece to the original with JB Weld. Clamped it up real good, its not coming apart again. Needs some clean up work. Will be filling the small rectangular opening in center upper bar. Was going to put the original horse bright indicator there but bought other leds for bright and turn lights.

post-3347-0-00053000-1427591835.jpg

post-3347-0-75378100-1427591862.jpg

post-3347-0-99188700-1427591879.jpg

Nice job, since year one discontinued there version you might be able to make some $ doing/selling those.

Thanks

I've got too much labor in this to be profitable, way more than I should. Would need to make a proper mold too.

Looks great!  Have you thought of trying to mimic the original a little with some type of woodgrain insert.  Make it blend with the deluxe interior a little more.

I meant this to be a one off with an aircraft feel to it. I've even had some trim rings machined from 1/4" aluminum to mount around each gauge but I'm not going to use them cause they don't fit the gauges I ended up buying.

Can't wait to see it installed with the gauges.

I bought Glow Shift gauges but I'm going to let the paint cure for about a week before I install them.