Sign in to follow this  
ronz75

Tilt/Tilt Away Steering Column

Trying to figure out what is going on with my tilt away steering column but can't seem to find any diagrams on the system. The problem is it does not tilt away when the door is opened. I can hear a "click" when the door is opened but the wheel does not tilt away. Does the vacuum canister in the wheel wheel need to be hooked up for the system to work? I know the vacuum line going into the firewall from the engine bay is connected properly but I don't know where it should go from there. Where should I start with this? Also what direction do I pull or push the turn signal level to tilt the column? I thought it was away from the seat but it seems jammed and I don't want to damage anything? Any input would be great.

The can in the wheelwell is vital for the system to work. Not only does it need to be hooked up, but you need to be sure that it's still holding vacuum. There is also a solenoid that needs to be functional, but hearing the click may indicate that it's working.

Well the canister is not hooked up and there is no sign of a vacuum line anywhere near it. How should the vacuum lines be hooked up? Right now I have the line from the firewall connected to the intake manifold distribution block where it goes to from there I have no idea I thought it went to the tilt motor. Does anyone have a diagram for the vacuum lines or know where I can get my hands on one? Thanks