69R-CODE

My First Restoration

Gentlemen,

I have decided to finally start my first restoration project. I have posted on here before. Since then, I have been checking out this forum for the past three months and have got the fever!

Attached are some more pics of the car.

Here is my plan:

69 Mach 1 R-Code Fastback.

Going with the original 428CJ in it. Painting the car Gulfstream Aqua (original color)

I would like some starting tips, pointers, do's and dont's.

What do I need to do first? What tools should I get? What order does the car need to be fixed? What things would you farm out? What things would you do yourself?

Could you all point me in the right direction?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!:helpsmilie:

Edited by 69R-CODE

I'm nearing the end of my 69 gulfstrem aqua Mach 1 project, I'd do a post here myself but my car skills are better than my computer skills I can never get a picture on a web site.

I'm not saying it's right but this is what I do. the first thing is the rolling shell, strip it to bare metal, fix what needs fixed, replace what can't, do as much body work as I feel I'm up to, then send it off for final body work and paint. the shops I use give me a MUCH better deal if I let them have the car for a year or so to use as a fill in project when things are slow.

Once that's out of my hair I rebuild the engine, transmission, seats, small parts, ect and that keeps me busy and broke while the body is out of my shop. when I get the car back it's just a matter of putting it all together.

If you're going to put a top lader in it be ready to open your wallet, that stuff is spendy. this car is the first auto I've ever owned and I was going to toss the C6 until I priced it all out. you could do a 5 speed for less probably but that's too non original for me.

I agree with S code 69. Strip it down and see what you're really starting off with. Then primer seal it, this will keep anything from corroding any worse than it already is. I did this and found out I had way way way more work than origonally planned. In my defense the car was a gift from the wife while I was deployed (awsome gift even if I did pay for it). After you've got a good idea of what you've got, post lots of pics of what you find wrong. The guys here are a lot of help. Oh and take a lot of pics before during and after. I like looking at other people's cars, It's where I get some of my motivation.

As far as tools go,

Patience

Motivation

A good air compressor

Maybe a welder

Money

Patience

Edited by jnet4jt

Like the other guys said, the first step is gutting the car; pull the engine, tranny, seats, carpet, etc, etc., then assess what you've got. You'll find alot of stuff is bad you didn't expect :surrender:

The thing I highly recommend is take good pictures BEFORE you disassemble anything and put all small parts and hardware in baggies and label them with a sharpie.

What rust inhibitor or primer should I use?

If your going down to bare metal be sure to use an etch primer first. Then a good 2 part on top of that. Dupont has a really good etch primer...I can't remember the product code right now.

As for rust inhibitors, there are lots out there. Some like POR15, I used Rust Mort. I also used Duponts Rust Not on all the frame.

Good Luck !!

It's been a while but I am back! I ended up taking the car to a restoration shop and doing the car RIGHT! To Date, I/They have replaced:

1. Both Front Frame Rails and Frame Extensions

2. Both Shock Towers and aprons

3. Radiator Support

4. Both Torque Boxes

5. Both Inner and Outer Wheel Wells

6. Both Full Quarters

7. Staggered Shock mounting plate

8. Both Door Skins

9. Both Strut Braces

The car just got undercoated and is in prep to get Epoxy (DP90).

Then new coil springs (big block) and new leaf springs.

Had the spindles and disc brakes re-worked and painted.

Rear end cleaned and painted.

Phase I will be complete and car will be coming home to let my wallet rest and time to re-build my 428CJ.

Here are some pics to catch you all up!

Enjoy.

FYI: I WENT TO SEE THE CAR YESTERDAY AND FOUND OUT THAT THE BEDLINER THE RESTORATION SHOP USED WAS U-POL RAPTOR BEDLINER.

HERE IS A DESCRIPRTION I PULLED OFF THE WEB.

Bed liner kit is a 2-component urethane system designed for applying directly to your truck bed, inner fenders, under body, and chassis. Dries rapidly and protects against rust, corrosion, UV damage, and extreme temperatures while resisting stains and abrasion. Waterproof material stays flexible and helps to reduce road noise and vibration. To match your vehicle's color, purchase Tintable.

http://www.u-pol.com/documents/datasheets/tds/RLB-TDS-US.pdf

She is back Home!!!

All metal work and suspension is complete. It is in Epoxy Primer and the engine compartment is finished out.

Now to start putting my 428CJ back together!!! This may not look like much...but lots of $$$$ have been put into this car.

Here are some pics when it came home a few weeks ago.

The CJ came home from the machine shop this week. I had the heads redone, crank polished, block hot tanked, new cam bearings, ect. Now starts the re-build!

I am looking for a re-ring kit for my stock pistons.

Does anyone know what type, and sizes I should get? When I go to Summit Racing or Jegs, they ask for all these different sizes and types. I plan on placing a big order this weekend.

PLEASE HELP!

Since my last post...The wife and I have had our first child (a boy) and work on the car has grinded to a halt. However, I have been trying to work on the CJ about one day a week.

This is an update on work completed on the motor thus far:

New cam bearings

New main bearing

New rod bearings

New piston rings

New Cam

New Timing Chain

New Lifters

New Felpro gasket set

New ARP bolt kit

New fuel pump

New Oil pump

New Oil pickup tube

The Heads have been completey gone through with new valve seals and springs

I went with Dupli-color (1621) Old Ford Blue. I am not real big fan of the dark corporate blue. I know it is not factory correct, but I like it.

Getting ready to put intake on and hopefully put pushrods and rocker arms on.

The goal is to have the motor ready by end of Feb. and take the car back to the restoration shop sometime in April.

Attached is a picture I took just after the heads were put on.